Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Generic Tennis Thread

He’s playing great.
Can't believe I'm still watching this :D

On a tangential but related note, has anyone else succumbed to getting NOW TV or Sky due to them being the only places you can watch the US Open? I hope NOW TV works!

On a tangential but related note, has anyone else succumbed to getting NOW TV or Sky due to them being the only places you can watch the US Open? I hope NOW TV works!
That was an incredible match :D

I already have NowTV. I wouldn't bother to get a subscription otherwise, I don't think...

Dimitrov comes back from two sets down to win for the first time ever!

Some Scottish dude did pretty well too.

Ah we use my inlaws log in so free Sky!

Ah we use my inlaws log in so free Sky!
I can duly report that NOW TV is crap. Three times the price of Prime and only access to two courts, and they keep jumping around between matches without rhyme or reason. Still, needs must.

Managed to see a few decent matches so far.

The Alcaraz vs Evans match right now is easily the best of the US tournament shots-wise so far- and from both players. Incredible stuff, and I’d urge everyone to watch the most extended highlights of the match they can find.

The Alcaraz vs Evans match right now is easily the best of the US tournament shots-wise so far- and from both players. Incredible stuff, and I’d urge everyone to watch the most extended highlights of the match they can find.
Managed to catch a lot of it and Evans gave a good account of himself.

I started watching Djokovic v Djere last night and couldn't believe it when Djere went two sets up. It got so late by the third set I just had to go to bed, thinking Djokovic would probably win anyway...and of course he did! Exciting match.

Managed to catch a lot of it and Evans gave a good account of himself.

I started watching Djokovic v Djere last night and couldn't believe it when Djere went two sets up. It got so late by the third set I just had to go to bed, thinking Djokovic would probably win anyway...and of course he did! Exciting match.
I have nothing against any of the other British male players, but I always find Evans about a hundred times more enjoyable to watch and likeable even when he’s having a shit game.

Norrie might be the better player, but he’s remarkably dull and uninteresting to watch.

I have nothing against any of the other British male players, but I always find Evans about a hundred times more enjoyable to watch and likeable even when he’s having a shit game.

Norrie might be the better player, but he’s remarkably dull and uninteresting to watch.
Evans is very enjoyable to watch and very talented but I can't warm to him much - I don't like his cocky walk! He always looks like he's spoiling for a fight. :D

The men's side is increasingly looking like Alcaraz or Djokovic (not that it wasn't at the start), although the US Open seems the most likely of the slams to see a new/random winner so you never know.

Evans is very enjoyable to watch and very talented but I can't warm to him much - I don't like his cocky walk! He always looks like he's spoiling for a fight. :D

The men's side is increasingly looking like Alcaraz or Djokovic (not that it wasn't at the start), although the US Open seems the most likely of the slams to see a new/random winner so you never know.
I've always enjoyed watching Evans play - I used to watch him play in the Challengers. I think one of the reasons I enjoy watching him is that he's my height (short-arse, in tennis terms) and uses a lot of backhand slice. It's like watching me play, but with talent! :D

He can't rely on a big serve (even though he makes the most of his limited height) and doesn't have the weight of shot other bigger players have so has to play tactically with precision. It's beautiful when he's playing at his best.

Last edited:

I tend to agree about Norrie. I'm not sure how I would describe his tennis but it seems like it's 'manufactured' - like he's been taught how to optimise his limited shots and there's no underlying flair or skill of his own. He is incredibly fit and has masses of determination but it doesn't make him fun to watch.

Anyone know what this delay is?

The commentators saying it's environmental protestors, but the mic picking up the umpire telling Gauff there's a hostage situation. Anyway, they've both left the court.

I love the difference between the polite American style to Just Stop Oil compared to a tubby little wicketkeeper in England carrying a protestor off the pitch at Lords :D

It's been half an hour now to get one guy out of his seat.

I love the difference between the polite American style to Just Stop Oil compared to a tubby little wicketkeeper in England carrying a protestor off the pitch at Lords :D

Missed the end of this due to the delay, as I needed to be up 'early'. I love the way Flashscore described the delay as a spectator riot!

Will be interesting to see if Coco can match the power of Sabalenka.

Fear of litigation?

The last one was glued to their seat, made removing them a bit trickier than removing a man standing in a field.

I’m perfectly okay with Medvedev having beaten Alcaraz with a superb performance, but FFS, he deprived us of a Djoko va Carlos final only to play so badly (so far). The only reason the second set was so thrilling is because Djoko is today well below his best.

Yes indeed, I like Medvedev but can't help feeling that Alcaraz would have been way more competitive.

Djokovic has looked a bit off at times but not sure if that is tactical or not.

Moments for Medvedev, but far from enough. He has been very poor, tho the second set might have given him the confidence to up his game had he won it. As he didn't....

He's just done an interview saying 'I never imagined I'd win 24 titles' wearing this t-shirt. That's some amazingly quick production work :D

novak-djokovic-wearing-a-custom-24-shirt-as-a-tribute-to-v0-5es67l4xlinb1.jpg

Fuck he's a dick.

Back
Top Bottom