Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The four freedoms

Like a lot of American doctrine it's hard to argue against the concepts. The execution is where the issues are...

norman_rockwell_four-freedoms_grid-e1539373458237.jpg

Norman Rockwell's Four Freeedoms.

Problem with Four Freedoms historically is that they did not apply to colonised people.

Four Freedoms were American thing in WW2. Roosevelt the American president.

However once WW2 ended people in Dutch , French and British Colonies found none of these freedoms applied to them.

It features a lot on Caroline Elkins book. Which goes into development of human rights.

Ive done a review here

Post in thread 'What were the worst events in the British Empire?' What were the worst events in the British Empire?

Particularly when cold war started to hot up US started to avert their eyes on European Imperial powers trouncing these freedoms. As long as they were fighting Communism

My view is that the notion of Four Freedoms has been romanticised as a good "liberal" idea

Last edited:
Problem with Four Freedoms historically is that they did not apply to colonised people.

Four Freedoms were American thing in WW2. Roosevelt the American president.

However once WW2 ended people in Dutch , French and British Colonies found none of these freedoms applied to them.

It features a lot on Caroline Elkins book. Which goes into development of human rights.

Ive done a review here

Post in thread 'What were the worst events in the British Empire?' What were the worst events in the British Empire?

Particularly when cold war started to hot up US started to avert their eyes on European Imperial powers trouncing these freedoms. As long as they were fighting Communism

My view is that the notion of Four Freedoms has been romanticised as a good "liberal" idea
What's your point caller? I think anyone on here knows the history of the human rights abuses perpetuated by the European colonial powers and the US post the second world war.

That being said the four freedoms were a good liberal idea and ideal.

The Reith Lectures - The Four Freedoms - 3. Freedom from Want - BBC Sounds

I've been listening to the annual Reith lectures on Radio 4 - four different people delivering a lecture on each of the four freedoms and there are some very interesting ideas and debate. Especially this one about freedom from want.
What did you think of the Fiona Hill / Freedom m from Fear one?

I didn't hear (have not listened to) the lectures but I caught some of the discussion session and some of the crap Hill came out with was awful - "materialists cannot deal with the subjective"

Listened the Freedom from Fear one.

Pretty dreadful - Putin is responsible for creating 'global famine and death', the goal of the US in WWII was to end a 'brutal multi-year war in Asia that Japan began', Russia has torn up the international diplomatic framework, but with no mention of the US led invasion of Iraq, no discussion of the fear many countries feel from the US (until questioned on it - then a weak answer). Lazy comparisons of the Soviet Union with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, and a misidentification of class struggle with populism. The BBC is intended to liberated the masses, in the West people have the ability to self-realise their potential. It is stated that Putin/Russia is using fear to manipulate, in the same sentence as a mention of the 'evil empire', but without any recognition of the fear that idea was intended to manufacture.

All in all the usual liberal ideology presented as fact. I'd be more impressed if there was an actual argument for liberalism but there is not, just a hard unidentified assumption that these are the facts (rather bizarre from someone who criticises others for a lack of subjectivity).
I mean that anyone with any sort of understanding of mid-20th century history reducing the actions of the US to simply ending WWII is farcical.

What did you think of the Fiona Hill / Freedom m from Fear one?

I didn't hear (have not listened to) the lectures but I caught some of the discussion session and some of the crap Hill came out with was awful - "materialists cannot deal with the subjective"
Not listened to that one yet, may not bother now. Sounds a great contrast to the 3rd one.

Back
Top Bottom