Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

Asda make it super enticing. Not only can you pack your bags as you shop they hVe special checkouts, that are clear even when the scab tills are busy. I even use them for a basket of goods now because of this. Tesco I think you have to share them with them with scan tills?
I ditched it cos i couldn’t change my mind about anything and put it back. The reason i tried it out was so I could control my spending without interference

Still think they should have got everything refunded and wasted Tesco's time and stuff.
Should have got them charged with harassment, assault and attempted theft/damage to property and possibly some form of racial profiling/whatever is appropriate/fitting. Shoppers paid for stuff, got stopped for no reason, attacked and attempted to damage or remove property based on no evidence. How is that not wrong?

I ditched it cos i couldn’t change my mind about anything and put it back. The reason i tried it out was so I could control my spending without interference

You can take stuff off, just press - next to the item.

The loading my bag as I go and minimal contact with people (other then the odd check) is why I love them. Visit isles in order of weight.

from the shop's perspective, what's the point of checking items before someone pays?

Could just be them monitoring the system. I don't think they can accuse you of theft at that point, though if you were intending to steal stuff it may well catch you and stop you. But as the checks are random and infrequent its not really going to make much of a difference.

Could just be them monitoring the system. I don't think they can accuse you of theft at that point, though if you were intending to steal stuff it may well catch you and stop you. But as the checks are random and infrequent its not really going to make much of a difference.
I doubt they’re ever random

Still think they should have got everything refunded and wasted Tesco's time and stuff.

I understand the sentiment but she would just be wasting her own time. I mean they’re being paid to be there. I’m presume she wants some groceries to go home with too. This sort of thing doesn’t really affect me because of how I shop but I don’t think I would’ve been as calm as her.

I doubt they’re ever random
It was a scan and go and yes it is random....we have random checks that come up on our hand held devices....only thing i would say is that this is done before the customer pays so am a little confused as to why they were doing it afterwards.....wasn't handled very well imo and yes our security guard has the clearance etc to spot check someone's shop if he suspects they haven't paid for stuff but he is much more professional and courteous.

Last edited:
Should have got them charged with harassment, assault and attempted theft/damage to property and possibly some form of racial profiling/whatever is appropriate/fitting. Shoppers paid for stuff, got stopped for no reason, attacked and attempted to damage or remove property based on no evidence. How is that not wrong?

You know, I’m starting to get tiny doubts about your legal qualifications and experience…

our security guard has the clearance etc to spot check someone's shop if he suspects they haven't paid for stuff but he is much more professional and courteous.
Being 'professional and courteous' they do, of course, know that, as security guards, they have no legal power to stop and/or search customers without consent.

Being 'professional and courteous' they do, of course, know that, as security guards, they have no legal power to stop and/or search customers without consent.
Unless they have good reason to suspect they have stolen goods on them ?

AFAIK that makes no difference, they have no more legal powers than any member of the public; without consent they have no legal basis for detention or searching unless they formally effect a citizen's arrest.

AFAIK that makes no difference, they have no more legal powers than any member of the public; without consent they have no legal basis for detention or searching unless they formally effect a citizen's arrest.
Supermarket is private property, there is no reason why they can't make it part of their T&C's that you agree to a search by simply entering onto the premises, I don't know if they do tbf but they can if they wish.

The main difference in powers of arrest between old bill* and anyone else ( including store detectives) is rozzers can **arrest you if they reasonably suspect a crime has been committed and reasonably suspect you have committed it. For non cops you have to know that a crime has been committed and then reasonably suspect you have committed it.

This is why there are quite a few wrongful arrests found against store detectives as it doesn’t matter how strong their belief that a crime has been committed, if it later turns out it hasn’t then the arrest isn’t lawful. Most of them know that and that’s probably what’s guiding the behaviour of the one in the video .

* Other state agents also have these powers . NCA officers and I think some border agency types.

** As long as the general necessity tests and local policy are followed obvs.

Supermarket is private property, there is no reason why they can't make it part of their T&C's that you agree to a search by simply entering onto the premises, I don't know if they do tbf but they can if they wish.
They could, but how would they verify everyone has read and agreed to their T&Cs, as would be required to implement it?

Costco gets away with it by being a "private members club", so you end up signing something that says they're going to check your cart.

They could, but how would they verify everyone has read and agreed to their T&Cs, as would be required to implement it?

Costco gets away with it by being a "private members club", so you end up signing something that says they're going to check your cart.
They could stick it on the door though it would have to be on the outside before you entered though. Security guards in supermarkets are in an odd position, they can't search your bag but they can confiscate it off you for the Plod to search. They can't arrest you but they can keep you there for the Plod to arrest later. In the case of this particular woman, I'm not convinced she is as innocent as she makes out she is. Maybe she is but her confrontational behaviour hardly supports her claim.

AFAIK they do have the right of refusal to entry to their premises if they ask for consent to search and this is refused. But, of course, their focus is on searching on exit.

Thinking back a few posts....If the OB have decided they'll not attend shoplifting for the corporates I'm not sure what use a citizen's arrest would be anyway?

Basically people need to know their rights when it comes to security guards; always refuse consent then most times they're fucked.

AFAIK they do have the right of refusal to entry to their premises if they ask for consent to search and this is refused. But, of course, their focus is on searching on exit.

Thinking back a few posts....If the OB have decided they'll not attend shoplifting for the corporates I'm not sure what use a citizen's arrest would be anyway?
Not a lot to be honest, the supermarkets turn a blind eye to a certain amount of shoplifting as part of the cost of doing business it's the small shops that suffer. I would imagine that if the security guards were actually holding someone then they would have to turn up however reluctantly. It will be shoplifting where the shopkeeper hasn't stopped anyone but has got CCTV etc and wants it investigating that they probably don't respond to.

Not a lot to be honest, the supermarkets turn a blind eye to a certain amount of shoplifting as part of the cost of doing business it's the small shops that suffer. I would imagine that if the security guards were actually holding someone then they would have to turn up however reluctantly. It will be shoplifting where the shopkeeper hasn't stopped anyone but has got CCTV etc and wants it investigating that they probably don't respond to.

Some forces aren’t attending even when the shop has detained someone now.

Back
Top Bottom