Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

Went to a Sainsbury's scab till yesterday to do a bit of creative consuming; I really fancied some top-notch german wheat beer, but didn't fancy the price they were suggesting. So I tried wafting the cheaper (4 for 7) bottle in front of the robot thing, put the wheat beer down and the fucking thing had the cheek to tell me I'd put down the wrong product.

I just swore at the cunt and walked out; they didn't get my custom.

Last edited:
Went to a Sainsbury's scab till yesterday to do a bit of creative consuming; I really fancied some top-notch german wheat beer, but didn't fancy the price they were suggesting. So I tried wafting the cheaper (4 for 7) bottle in front of the robot thing, put the wheat beer down and the fucking thing had the cheek to tell me I'd put down the wrong product.

I just swore and the cunt and walked out; they didn't get my custom.
Been using the sainsburys app since lockdown. Just wander round the store, scan the items on my phone, go to the checkout, pay for the items, and off we go. to enjoy the rest of our day.

Massive massive queues in Asda yesterday and just walked in to the scan and go without waiting and got "quality checked". Made a point to be extra nice to the member of staff, despite feeling irritated, as it's not their choice and I feel for them on days like that. And it was still faster then queuing.

Massive massive queues in Asda yesterday and just walked in to the scan and go without waiting and got "quality checked". Made a point to be extra nice to the member of staff, despite feeling irritated, as it's not their choice and I feel for them on days like that. And it was still faster then queuing.
I presume that the cost of "convenience" for all of these more technological scab systems is giving up personal data?

I presume that the cost of "convenience" for all of these more technological scab systems is giving up personal data?

I guess so. I mean 20 years ago or whenever the loyalty cards came out I think I was against them or something because of privacy. But given the amount of tracking that happens online now it almost seems irrelevant.

And you've no loyalty cards, you use different supermarkets for different products, you vary your time of shopping to avoid forming patterns, you evade cctv, and if you use public transport you change your route and vary who you travel with?
Oh yes, all good points. But on the specifics of giving personal details to the retail corporations; nope.

It's ok. The face recognition on CCTV will make up for that soon. They'll profile people who pay with cash and send them special targeted advertising.
They'd have to be able to match any recognition with personal details to do that, though?

Oh yes, I'm well aware that modern life means that many other corporations have my data but, futile as it may be, I'll attempt to deny the retailers for as long as I can.

I mean I block ads at a network level at home and make a passing attempt not to make it easy for them when it doesn't inconvenience me, but when the fuckers started making it more expensive not to have one of their shit cards I gave in. Although at least Asda gives pretty meaningful rewards for a Blue Light card.

Been using the sainsburys app since lockdown. Just wander round the store, scan the items on my phone, go to the checkout, pay for the items, and off we go. to enjoy the rest of our day.
See, this is a technological innovation that benefits the customer as well as the store. I always use self scan when I can as you don't have to repack.

I mean I block ads at a network level at home and make a passing attempt not to make it easy for them when it doesn't inconvenience me, but when the fuckers started making it more expensive not to have one of their shit cards I gave in. Although at least Asda gives pretty meaningful rewards for a Blue Light card.
Thankfully, at present the ale 'deals' don't require any loyalty card.

See, this is a technological innovation that benefits the customer as well as the store. I always use self scan when I can as you don't have to repack.
"the customer"?
Not really, just the self-selecting cohort of customers willing to yield their personal data to the corporates.

"the customer"?
Not really, just the self-selecting cohort of customers willing to yield their personal data to the corporates.
If Waitrose, Tesco, Morrison and Sainsburys want to know what brand of baked beans I prefer* in return for my lettuce not getting squashed then they are welcome to it. Besides I don't suffer from main character syndrome so don 't think my individual data is of any interest whatsoever to anyone, the aggregated data of thousands is what has value.

(*Heinz obviously, like all decent people. )

You do release that this is an incredibly privileged position and not one everyone shares?
This is just the logic of capitalism, though? No-one should feel compelled to care about the work they have to do to survive, merely that the compensation for their labour power is increased or, at least, maintained. Though, I do appreciate that some people hold such rewarding, important caring roles that they do care about their work, but that is up to them.

There is a piece of justification that keeps being repeated in this thread and I want to challenge the logic of it. This is that self-service tills are inherently faster (often written as “more efficient”) for the customer.

I buy the idea that if you have a small — maybe (maybe!) medium-size — basket of goods, it may be inherently quicker to scan the items yourself. But if you take a step back, there’s no way it can inherently be faster to unpack, scan and repack an entire trolley of items yourself. It must logically be faster for two people working in parallel to do that lengthier task together. One is packing while the other is scanning. That just has to be faster.

I think there are a few things going on that feed the perception of the self-service tills being faster even for larger shopping lists. First, they engage the consumer in pressured and rapid work. The mere task of picking out items, scanning them and then packing them, all while feeling the pressure of the queue behind you, will create a sense of time moving quickly.

More importantly, though, shops provide loads of self-service tills and far too few employee-operated tills. The result is that you generally don’t have to queue long for a self-service but you do for an employee-operated. This cause of “inefficiency”, though, is a choice on the part of the supermarket. They are making you feel that using an employee-operated till contains queuing time, as compared with the self-service. You experience this queuing as frustration. Combine this also with the first point and you now compare time-feeling-slow while waiting for the employee-operated till, versus time-feeling-fast while using the self-service till. And thus you feel that the self-service tills are just inherently faster, even though they logically can’t be.

There is a piece of justification that keeps being repeated in this thread and I want to challenge the logic of it. This is that self-service tills are inherently faster (often written as “more efficient”) for the customer.

I buy the idea that if you have a small — maybe (maybe!) medium-size — basket of goods, it may be inherently quicker to scan the items yourself. But if you take a step back, there’s no way it can inherently be faster to unpack, scan and repack an entire trolley of items yourself. It must logically be faster for two people working in parallel to do that lengthier task together. One is packing while the other is scanning. That just has to be faster.

I think there are a few things going on that feed the perception of the self-service tills being faster even for larger shopping lists. First, they engage the consumer in pressured and rapid work. The mere task of picking out items, scanning them and then packing them, all while feeling the pressure of the queue behind you, will create a sense of time moving quickly.

More importantly, though, shops provide loads of self-service tills and far too few employee-operated tills. The result is that you generally don’t have to queue long for a self-service but you do for an employee-operated. This cause of “inefficiency”, though, is a choice on the part of the supermarket. They are making you feel that using an employee-operated till contains queuing time, as compared with the self-service. You experience this queuing as frustration. Combine this also with the first point and you now compare time-feeling-slow while waiting for the employee-operated till, versus time-feeling-fast while using the self-service till. And thus you feel that the self-service tills are just inherently faster, even though they logically can’t be.
It's faster in general as they take up less space so you can fit in more tills so you spend less time in a queue.

You are right that there is a problem with people taking trollies full of stuff through a space only designed for baskets, the shops need to police this better.

Not sure how it indicates privilege? I was a callow youth and I was on minimum wage and was skint all the time. Dunno why you’d think that being badly paid would make someone care about their job more. Surely it’s the opposite.
No caring if you keep your job or not is a privileged position, doesn't matter if it is badly paid, some people in the same job would be desperate to keep it.

If i have my work backpack on, I really annoy customers and staff at the self-service tills, cos ithe area is quite cramped and my bag is always stuffed and sticking out into people trying to get past

No caring if you keep your job or not is a privileged position, doesn't matter if it is badly paid, some people in the same job would be desperate to keep it.
I didn’t say I didn’t care about keeping it. I needed a job to pay the rent and feed myself, just like everyone else. I was desperate to keep it - my career in retail was actually brought to an abrupt and involuntary end on account of getting fired. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom