Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

In the case of this particular woman, I'm not convinced she is as innocent as she makes out she is. Maybe she is but her confrontational behaviour hardly supports her claim.
as you say, it's widely publicised nowadays that workers are told not to get involved and no doubt most wouldn't have wanted to anyway, so I find it extremely unlikely anyone is going to be trying to look in your bag unless you've very obviously nicked stuff or been acting like a cunt.

Not a lot to be honest, the supermarkets turn a blind eye to a certain amount of shoplifting as part of the cost of doing business it's the small shops that suffer. I would imagine that if the security guards were actually holding someone then they would have to turn up however reluctantly. It will be shoplifting where the shopkeeper hasn't stopped anyone but has got CCTV etc and wants it investigating that they probably don't respond to.
Without knowing the identity/address of the alleged offender caught on CCTV their 'evidence' is worthless; of course the OB wouldn't be interested in that.

Some forces aren’t attending even when the shop has detained someone now.
Well that's just fucking stupid isn't it? the supermarkets might as well just pile the stuff up on the pavement with a sign saying "Take What You Want". I can see how this might appeal to many people but it's a business model where there soon won't be any supermarkets in that area.

Well that's just fucking stupid isn't it? the supermarkets might as well just pile the stuff up on the pavement with a sign saying "Take What You Want". I can see how this might appeal to many people but it's a business model where there soon won't be any supermarkets in that area.
Stupid from certain perspectives, but to the Randian neoliberals it makes complete sense for the state to abdicate responsibility for corporate security. The only surprise here is that corporate retail has not yet successfully lobbied for legislation to give greater power of arrest etc. to private security.

Stupid from certain perspectives, but to the Randian neoliberals it makes complete sense for the state to abdicate responsibility for corporate security. The only surprise here is that corporate retail has not yet successfully lobbied for legislation to give greater power of arrest etc. to private security.
That's also on the list of reasons why it's fucking stupid.

Wow, the last few posts on this thread show a wide disconnect between what you all think happens and what actually happens irl....yes, technically we are not supposed to interfere or try to get back stolen stuff from shoplifters instore but a number of us do if we can ( i have done it many times) our security guard does take bags of goods off people (or their person) that are stealing and it can get "physical".....the aim is to get back our goods....anything that threatens the profits of the store and therefore our job security is worth it and ffs stealing is wrong !!!!!

Wow, the last few posts on this thread show a wide disconnect between what you all think happens and what actually happens irl....yes, technically we are not supposed to interfere or try to get back stolen stuff from shoplifters instore but a number of us do if we can ( i have done it many times) our security guard does take bags of goods off people (or their person) that are stealing and it can get "physical".....the aim is to get back our goods....anything that threatens the profits of the store and therefore our job security is worth it and ffs stealing is wrong !!!!!

And 99 times out of hundred that’s the end of it. Hopefully you will never be caught up in the one time…

I bet your employer has all sorts of policies and procedures not to do this. So if you are in that one time you will be completely on your own, unless you are in a union.

This certainly chimes with my experience. Yes we aren't supposed to intervene but there are ways of doing that without it being physical or aggressive. Following people and verbally challenging them are the main ways.

More often than not that approach works and the goods are abandoned before the person leaves the store.

We also get a number of repeat offenders, which we keep an eye out for and they are to asked to leave the store as soon as they're spotted.

I think we'd only call the police if there was violence involved.

And 99 times out of hundred that’s the end of it. Hopefully you will never be caught up in the one time…

I bet your employer has all sorts of policies and procedures not to do this. So if you are in that one time you will be completely on your own, unless you are in a union.

yes they do but as i said, irl this is what it's really like....sometimes it's like being in a war and i did once get pushed over getting in the way of shoplifters.......they are mostly not desperate people looking for stuff to eat you know. Plus if you add on the sizable amount of the public that treat us like shit on their shoe, are aggressive, rude and abusive you might understand why i have a rather jaded view on this. Self scans are only going to increase, we all know why and it's now a fait accompli as they are squeezing down staff levels so much that it's going to be the only thing that eases the pressure on myself and my colleagues :rolleyes:

This certainly chimes with my experience. Yes we aren't supposed to intervene but there are ways of doing that without it being physical or aggressive. Following people and verbally challenging them are the main ways.

More often than not that approach works and the goods are abandoned before the person leaves the store.

We also get a number of repeat offenders, which we keep an eye out for and they are to asked to leave the store as soon as they're spotted.

I think we'd only call the police if there was violence involved.
Yup....our guard is well known in the town and has a rep for taking no nonsence which puts a number of them off

Have to say that i feel quite dissappointed that the attitudes i have to put up with on a daily basis where it feels like we are seen as a lower form of life appear to be replicated on this thread :rolleyes: :(

Of course but it's also our fucking jobs....jesus do all of you have no problem with stealing then ?
this is false consciousness.
I have no problem with billionaires and shareholders being stolen from, just workers being expected to deal with the fallout. I can’t get angry at shoplfifting when wage theft and supermarkets’ refusal to squeeze profits instead of wages and jobs dwarfs shrinkage by many multitudes. Their theft is so egregious, I can’t get mad at those trying to pick up some crumbs for free.

I have no problem with billionairs and shareholders being stolen from, just workers being expected to deal with it. I can’t get angry at shoplfifting when wage theft and supermarkets’ refusal to squeeze profits instead of wages and jobs. Their theft is so egregious, I can’t get mad at those trying to pick up some crumbs for free.
I think it might be helpful to think how it feels for the workers taking pride in their jobs to see people coming in and taking stuff , and essentially giving a big fuck you to those workers , let alone the other punters in the shop.

I think it might be helpful to think how it feels for the workers taking pride in their jobs to see people coming in and taking stuff , and essentially giving a big fuck you to those workers , let alone the other punters in the shop.
I worked in retail for over five years and can’t say I ever gave a shit about protecting someone else’s profits. Wasn’t paid enough to care.

I have no problem with billionaires and shareholders being stolen from, just workers being expected to deal with the fallout. I can’t get angry at shoplfifting when wage theft and supermarkets’ refusal to squeeze profits instead of wages and jobs dwarfs shrinkage by many multitudes. Their theft is so egregious, I can’t get mad at those trying to pick up some crumbs for free.
This is not what goes on you know.....the truly desperate are in the minority....it's a way of life for some and an exercise in just doing it coz they can for others......and i wasn't talking about shoplifting so much as the attitudes expressed here about deliberately going against things that the staff have to do as part of their job....you ain't "putting it to the man" you just cause more stress to the beleaguered staff....and no it's not false fucking conciousness, i don't find it hard to hold both views at the same time, am not bloody thick coz i work in retail but i also need my job and anything that possibly threatens that i take seriously (having been in a posistion where the family lost everything, i was homeless for 6 months)

yes they do but as i said, irl this is what it's really like....sometimes it's like being in a war and i did once get pushed over getting in the way of shoplifters.......they are mostly not desperate people looking for stuff to eat you know. Plus if you add on the sizable amount of the public that treat us like shit on their shoe, are aggressive, rude and abusive you might understand why i have a rather jaded view on this. Self scans are only going to increase, we all know why and it's now a fait accompli as they are squeezing down staff levels so much that it's going to be the only thing that eases the pressure on myself and my colleagues :rolleyes:

I don’t disagree and I don’t say it’s right, but I personally wouldn’t risk getting banged up for GBH and false imprisonment on behalf of the shareholders of Tescos or Sainsbury or whoever. But that’s just my view.

( ‘He’s got something in his bag he’s had out of the meat counter’, bit of push and shove and a fall hitting his head on the way down. Nothing in the bag, no crime occurred so non police arrest is unlawful so no reasonable force argument, hairline fracture to the skull. Company line is this was completely outside policy and training. Five years out in 2 and a bit. No thanks.)

Last edited:
I don’t disagree and I don’t say it’s right, but I personally wouldn’t risk getting banged up for GBH and false imprisonment on behalf of the shareholders of Tescos or Sainsbury or whoever. But that’s just my view.
Neither would i but as i have never hit anyone in a fight type situation in my life not sure that's on the cards....there have been some pretty horrible situations that have kicked off where i work in the past, there has been violence against the guard but he is well capable of looking after himself and he has never once been the instigator....most of the people we deal with are pretty unlikely to call the old bill tbh

Neither would i but as i have never hit anyone in a fight type situation in my life not sure that's on the cards....there have been some pretty horrible situations that have kicked off where i work in the past, there has been violence against the guard but he is well capable of looking after himself and he has never once been the instigator....most of the people we deal with are pretty unlikely to call the old bill tbh

The trouble is you don’t need to hit anyone. Your choice though. I’d hate to work in retail at the moment so you have my admiration and sympathy.

You don't need cashier free tills for freebies. I bought 3 or 4 things from the supermarket yesterday. Under the eyes of not one but two security guards I went to pay at the customer service checkout. After a moment or two my £3.99 periodical was handed back to me with the words it's free today. I think the cashier had trouble finding the bar code 👍
The cashier was not known to me.

Back
Top Bottom