Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

I’m not familiar with those barriers! I don’t usually bother taking my receipt at the supermarket, so that would be a design flaw.
Neither am I. Perhaps our respective neighbourhoods are more genteel and there’s no need for such measures? Saying that I saw two police cars and a van outside Waitrose last week. Mrs SFM told me to stop so we could see what was happening so went in to buy some onions but no sign of any cops or arrestees. Probably being roughed up round the back out of sight of middle England.

Didn’t Waitrose extend the free coffee / tea vending machine to cops without the purchase as loyalty cards require?
Probably that then.

Neither am I. Perhaps our respective neighbourhoods are more genteel and there’s no need for such measures? Saying that I saw two police cars and a van outside Waitrose last week. Mrs SFM told me to stop so we could see what was happening so went in to buy some onions but no sign of any cops or arrestees. Probably being roughed up round the back out of sight of middle England.
Shoplifters in Waitrose, how absolutely frightful darling. What is the world coming to?

Far more likely to be a 2 for 1 special on donuts

This sort of shit doesn’t help:

Are they legally allowed to go through stuff that belongs to the customer? Never mind that she tried to steal that woman's phone at one point?

At least Sainsburys checks the items before you pay for them - i use their self service once a week as it really helps with my autism issues - and i've been checked twice. Tesco seems extremely heavy handed, if not actually illegal.

Are they legally allowed to go through stuff that belongs to the customer? Never mind that she tried to steal that woman's phone at one point?

At least Sainsburys checks the items before you pay for them - i use their self service once a week as it really helps with my autism issues - and i've been checked twice. Tesco seems extremely heavy handed, if not actually illegal.
I don’t think they’re even allowed to stop you. They wouldn’t stop me!

i'm not sure i've ever been checked using a self service, other than having to get age verification, or assistance when the damn thing has said there's an unexpected item in the bagging area (the damn things don't seem to expect a BAG - :facepalm: )

from the shop's perspective, what's the point of checking items before someone pays?

surely the point is stopping people after they have paid to see if they are walking off with something they haven't paid for?

or will they sometimes check after customer presses the right button to say they want to pay, but before they actually do?

before self checkout, they would occasionally stop someone who causes the exit gate to beep - i've had that a couple of times - once because the access card for one workplace set them off, and another time the checkout operator hadn't seen that something had a tag that needed removing.

i can't comment on the legal rights of shoppers / shop staff / security staff to ask people to stop / use any form of force if they don't.

i'm not sure i've ever been checked using a self service, other than having to get age verification, or assistance when the damn thing has said there's an unexpected item in the bagging area (the damn things don't seem to expect a BAG - :facepalm: )

from the shop's perspective, what's the point of checking items before someone pays?

surely the point is stopping people after they have paid to see if they are walking off with something they haven't paid for?

or will they sometimes check after customer presses the right button to say they want to pay, but before they actually do?

before self checkout, they would occasionally stop someone who causes the exit gate to beep - i've had that a couple of times - once because the access card for one workplace set them off, and another time the checkout operator hadn't seen that something had a tag that needed removing.

i can't comment on the legal rights of shoppers / shop staff / security staff to ask people to stop / use any form of force if they don't.

Asda you sometimes get selected for a "quality check" after you've scanned but before you've paid...

This sort of shit doesn’t help:

Where the fuck did the staff member get the idea that you can call the police because someone's recording you? And then that violent grab for the phone.

I mean, I wouldn't really appreciate being videod whole checking someone's shopping, but they are within their rights to, and nobody would have even watched it if the staff member hadn't become aggressive.

Still, that shop apparently has security guards who don't wear uniforms or ID, so I'm not sure they are the best-run store.

Are they really within their rights to check your bags after you’ve paid? Surely they should only stop you if they’ve witnessed you stealing it. So it they just kept a close eye on the checkouts, that would be a better use of resources

Are they really within their rights to check your bags after you’ve paid? Surely they should only stop you if they’ve witnessed you stealing it. So it they just kept a close eye on the checkouts, that would be a better use of resources

The customer was within their rights to video it, was what I was saying.

The customer was within their rights to video it, was what I was saying.
I think she probably wasn't read section 2 of this.

You don't need permission to film in public but a supermarket is a private place so she is on much dodgier ground. There also seems to be the automatic assumption that the woman was in the right and had paid for all her shopping. Perhaps she had and the staff were wrong but perhaps she had been shoplifting we don't know.

I think she probably wasn't read section 2 of this.

You don't need permission to film in public but a supermarket is a private place so she is on much dodgier ground. There also seems to be the automatic assumption that the woman was in the right and had paid for all her shopping. Perhaps she had and the staff were wrong but perhaps she had been shoplifting we don't know.
That's not very impressive advice tbh; data protection implications do not apply to individuals like the person filming.

Oh right, forgot about those. Used it once. Never again.

Asda make it super enticing. Not only can you pack your bags as you shop they hVe special checkouts, that are clear even when the scab tills are busy. I even use them for a basket of goods now because of this. Tesco I think you have to share them with them with scan tills?

Back
Top Bottom