Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

I've used two rural stations in the last 15 years that filled your car up for you. Reeth in Swaledale which is pretty remote, but also one in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire which really isn't! Not sure if either still do it.

In German Autobahn petrol stations they used to have buckets of water with squeegees to clean your windscreen with. Don't know if they do this today, it is a few years since I was there last.

Speaking of petrol stations, an interesting fact is that mechanical car washes on petrol station forecourts are one of the few automated industries in decline. They've more than halved in the UK in the last 20 years, while the hand car wash industry has cleaned up. You can partly thank modern slavery for that.
It's not just modern slavery that's facilitating the hand car wash industry; that isn't fair. It's money laundering as well...

Oh, come off it; surely everyone swears at the automated tills with their fucking annoying instructions? :D

I even had an argument the other day with that twatish robot sweeper that barks at you at London Bridge station (Shard entrance).
I sometimes absent-mindedly thank an ATM for giving me money.

But you're right, I do swear at self-service tills. NO! THERE ISN'T AN UNEXPECTED FUCKING ITEM IN THE FUCKING BAGGING AREA!!!!! ARGH!!!!! 😱😱😱😱🤣

In German Autobahn petrol stations they used to have buckets of water with squeegees to clean your windscreen with. Don't know if they do this today, it is a few years since I was there last.
They do but there are no more flies, thanks to pollution and global warning.

Reading this ...

It would seem that the end of yellow stickers and the rise of "intelligent tills" could see prices rise as well as fall, in a process rather hidden from the shopper.

When money feels short, one of the first places I visit is the discounted shelf ...

I regularly wander into my local supermarket and, if there aren’t any decent reductions, just walk out again; another design flaw for the imprisoning technology?

To keep out of the weather I took a short cut through a supermarket to the high street today. The exit had those barriers where you need to scan your receipt to open them I had no receipt to scan and just barged through setting off the alarms. To my knowledge, no one batted an eyelid.

I regularly wander into my local supermarket and, if there aren’t any decent reductions, just walk out again; another design flaw for the imprisoning technology?

my local sainsburys has got a single exit gate next to the entrance gates so you can get out that way without going through the checkouts area.

I’m not familiar with those barriers! I don’t usually bother taking my receipt at the supermarket, so that would be a design flaw.

i don't think the scab tills give you the option not to have a receipt now, and think there's a warning on them to say you need to take your receipt.

my local sainsburys has got a single exit gate next to the entrance gates so you can get out that way without going through the checkouts area.

i don't think the scab tills give you the option not to have a receipt now, and think there's a warning on them to say you need to take your receipt.
The only place I use scab tills is Lidl (and I only use them if there’s no proper checkouts open), but there’s nothing to stop you leaving the receipt. It does say “remember your receipt”, but that’s it. They can put it in their recycling. I don’t see why I should carry it home and put it in mine.

It does say “remember your receipt”, but that’s it. They can put it in their recycling. I don’t see why I should carry it home and put it in mine.

i thought you weren't supposed to put (most) shop receipts in recycling, because it's special paper for thermal printing, so it's got some sort of plastic in it.

or have they changed the rules?

or do different councils have different rules?

which of my 7 bins should i put them in? :p

It depends on the paper used. And of course tills aren’t set up to do anything useful like print a recycling logo or not on the receipt.

Thermal printer paper may be coated in some nasty chemical called BPA. Older thermal paper did but safe versions are becoming more common now.
Scratch the receipt with your nail. If a dark inky mark appears that means it’s the bad stuff and not recyclable. Otherwise it can go in with your other recyclable paper.

In theory anyway. I’m stuck in the habit of chucking receipts in the bin and always forget.

i thought you weren't supposed to put (most) shop receipts in recycling, because it's special paper for thermal printing, so it's got some sort of plastic in it.

I had no idea it wasn’t allowed!

I’m not familiar with those barriers! I don’t usually bother taking my receipt at the supermarket, so that would be a design flaw.
Never seen one either. There is a gate in the Morrissons I use but it is automatic.

The point of these can't be to stop people nicking stuff, if you are using the tells you are paying for something so can get a receipt. I assume it is just to slow people down so the can't rush of if the staff think they are up to something.

the LIDL one is defintely recyclable they changed it a while back, it is also a lot harder to read now.

Back
Top Bottom