Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

Yeah, I see your moral high ground but when corporations compel customers to provide the labour without training, they'd have to prove intent (over a workplace human error) to call it theft. They did, of course, factor this in when they decided to sack so many of your colleagues.
Not sacked just not replaced....

Thieving from the supermarket doesn't present a good risk-reward ratio, not unless I'm actually desperate for something to eat. There's nothing there for the taking that is worth the potential for being banned and/or arrested and/or prosecuted, and even if I'm not caught I don't need the additional stress of having to worry about getting caught. I had my fill of that sort of bloody nonsense when I was squatting in London a decade and a half ago. Nowadays I can afford to just pay for my shit and leave without mentally looking over my shoulder or having to put on a psychological front. My luck won't ever run out if I don't try it. Can't say the same for people who do shoplift.

Not sacked just not replaced....

Meaning there are fewer jobs for people who might want that work.
Don't get me started on how difficult it is to get a supermarket job, I've tried and tried this year and I'd consider myself lucky to get a rejection email, usually I hear nothing back.
I think they want entry level people to do pick and pack, which I can't do due to mobility issues. You know what I can do? Seated at a checkout scanning stuff and smiling at people (and I know that I can do that job because I have done it before). That isn't needed any more.
Even supermarket employers that are supposedly signed up to disability awareness or whatever it is called, by which you are supposed to be guaranteed to get an interview if you have a disability, don't even get back to me.

Last edited:
No 2 being the most important as even cautions show up.
I was pleasantly surprised when my enhanced DBS check showed no sign of a drugs caution from the 80s. Possibly something to do with pre-computerised records not being efficiently transferred. Younger friend wasn’t so lucky as a caution for shoplifting when she was 11 showed up on hers which I thought was a tad irrelevant and unfair.

I was pleasantly surprised when my enhanced DBS check showed no sign of a drugs caution from the 80s. Possibly something to do with pre-computerised records not being efficiently transferred. Younger friend wasn’t so lucky as a caution for shoplifting when she was 11 showed up on hers which I thought was a tad irrelevant and unfair.

No luckily that's by design, they drop off after a while. With the old CRBs they didn't which made every job interview stressful for me as I'd have to raise it to pre warn them.

Last edited:
Many petrol stations sell fuel at a miniscule profit and rely on impulse buys when customers go into the kiosk to pay to boost sales otherwise scab pumps would be the rule by now. We largely have the supermarkets to thank for this, They sell fuel as a loss leader and rely on people coming, doing their shopping and filling up on the way out. Regular stations have to stay competitive, there's no brand loyalty when it comes to fuel.

I mean if any checkout needs to be automated it's these. Although as I often don't carry a wallet and they don't accept google pay I often do have to go in...

Can’t use the frequent nectar bonus vouchers I get for use when filling up given by sainsburys at the pump.

Filled up at Trago Mills last Saturday - 138.9 per litre which tends to be the cheapest about. No pay at pump there either but luckily I also wanted a coffee.

the asda nearest me doesn't have a payment kiosk now.

i'm not keen on pay at pump - my employers require a fuel receipt with travel expenses claims, and i've been let down a few times by the pump not being able to issue a receipt...

It should warn you first. McDonald's is similar. One of their shit breakfasts on the company card was a highlight of dealing with the M6 at peak times in my last job.

i'm not keen on pay at pump - my employers require a fuel receipt with travel expenses claims, and i've been let down a few times by the pump not being able to issue a receipt...
IME:
ASDA never have paper for receipt in their pumps
there might be the odd exception to confirm the rule though

e2a: no waring unlike the tesco pumps ( and possibly others)
but they now accept contactless (at ASDA pumps)

If you do Internet banking, can’t you just get a PDF of the transaction? I do that for taxi receipts for Work.

If you do Internet banking, can’t you just get a PDF of the transaction? I do that for taxi receipts for Work.

didn't know that was a thing - i get bank statements / credit card statements, but that's not the same, and think the point of getting a receipt is showing the VAT number on the receipt, which won't show up on the bank statement.

didn't know that was a thing - i get bank statements / credit card statements, but that's not the same, and think the point of getting a receipt is showing the VAT number on the receipt, which won't show up on the bank statement.

I think sone companies / organisations need to be able to show the VAT numbers to claim it back on employees’ expenses? Elpenor may be able to cast more light?

I think sone companies / organisations need to be able to show the VAT numbers to claim it back on employees’ expenses? Elpenor may be able to cast more light?

i think that's the point

it's not a big deal anyway - i tend not to go to asda anyway, and i'm content not to do the pay at pump thing

Yep, that's what my company always wants.

I've got a fuel card and for some reason it never seems to work on card machines. It does, however, always work on pay at pump card readers so always use that for petrol. I almost always need to pop in for something though so I usually end up interacting with human tills anyway.

Not directly my area so not sure, I try and avoid anything to do with expenses at work, particularly some of the weird shit people believe they are entitled to claim.

But come to think of it some garages used to ask if I wanted a VAT receipt but haven’t had that lately, maybe they’re combined with the main receipt these days?

I’d be surprised if fuel cards didn’t work in a pay at pump setting too, given how many people use them, was once in a work car and the bloke driving went into the shop to pay with the fuel card, but then he doesn’t use internet banking so perhaps not very adventurous with anything tech related?

Back
Top Bottom