Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

stealing celine dion CD's ought to be considered its own punishment...
I don’t think he was going to listen to them!

(I hate nearly all pop music that came out in the late 90s/early 00s cos I was working for Our Price and Virgin and was subjected to the same shit over and over again)

I have only once attempted to tackle a shoplifter after I was reluctantly enlisted to help the security guards corner a smack addict in the warren of tunnels under the Trocadero/Piccadilly Circus. He pulled a syringe out, so I instantly decided it was not worth contracting Hep C or HIV on a salary of £8K just to stop Richard Branson’ from losing dozens of pounds in lost profits from Celine Dion CDs.
Yeah definitely not worth it. I got headbutted by a customer because he wouldn't accept my answer when I said a toy wasn't in stock at christmas. I was being a bit cheeky as he wanted me to go into the back and check, but I knew it wasn't there and I was clocking off so said no. He split my head and I had to have stitches. I was about 17 at the time and he must have been in his mid-30's just looking back retail was brutal.

Side topic and I hate being language police but can we try not to use stigmatising words like smack addict. I know the person was a dick, but language like that just increases the stigma of people who have difficulties with drugs and are way more likely to get abused by someone else than they are harm someone themselves. (I'm on a drive around this at work at the moment as we could all be doing better with stuff like this.)

Yeah definitely not worth it. I got headbutted by a customer because he wouldn't accept my answer when I said a toy wasn't in stock at christmas. I was being a bit cheeky as he wanted me to go into the back and check, but I knew it wasn't there and I was clocking off so said no. He split my head and I had to have stitches. I was about 17 at the time and he must have been in his mid-30's just looking back retail was brutal.

Side topic and I hate being language police but can we try not to use stigmatising words like smack addict. I know the person was a dick, but language like that just increases the stigma of people who have difficulties with drugs and are way more likely to get abused by someone else than they are harm someone themselves. (I'm on a drive around this at work at the moment as we could all be doing better with stuff like this.)
Fair point and apologies. No judgment here, just wanted to illustrate why they had a syringe on them.

plus am one of those weird people that think stealing is just wrong...sorry
It's not weird - I'd have thought it's a pretty standard view to have, and I agree with you.

I've no problem with people stealing for subsistence, or if the self-scan till fucks up for some reason and you don't notice, but otherwise no.

There appears to be a number of posters who disagree with that on this thread though. I don't know how they sleep at night. :(

For full transparency I should say that I did have a number of Waitrose cards (under false names) for the free coffees, but then the cunts shut our Croydon branch.
It wasn't a great location. There was nowhere for the average Waitrose customer to stop in a 4x4 yet alone somewhere to park it while they shopped.

It wasn't a great location. There was nowhere for the average Waitrose customer to stop in a 4x4 yet alone somewhere to park it while they shopped.
I thought it was a great location for exactly the reason you give.

Then direct your ire towards the big fish intead of the tiddlers
I'll direct my ire where i see fit thank you....it's quite possible to hold both opinions at once...people that do stuff to make mine and my colleagues jobs harder than they already are gets my ire also people that condescend to me/us because of what we do for a job also get my ire....there is a noticable lack of thought towards the staff showing it's self on this thread :rolleyes:

In the USA they've started shouting at you if you forget to scan an item. The machines I mean, not the people. They're very nice about it--"PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE FULLY SCANNED YOUR ITEM BEFORE BAGGING"--but it's at ear-splitting volume, so the whole store stares.
Shout back Phil!

I'll direct my ire where i see fit thank you....it's quite possible to hold both opinions at once...people that do stuff to make mine and my colleagues jobs harder than they already are gets my ire also people that condescend to me/us because of what we do for a job also get my ire....there is a noticable lack of thought towards the staff showing it's self on this thread :rolleyes:
If everyone worked a little harder at making peoples jobs easier many of us would be out of work.
BTW my thought behind the thread in the first place was mainly driven by protecting jobs in shops though the same could be said for on line shopping.

Not from me. I appreciate the staff and am always polite and grateful. I don’t think anyone on this thread has expressed any negativity towards retail workers in general, only the exploitative and venal bosses and shareholders. Specifically, there were a few negative comments about the overzealous Tesco staff in the tweet I posted, but the rest of it is solidarity and support.

I've had a brief look around the relevant union advice for retail workers and it all looks fairly sensible; if you see shoplifting report to a manager and only ever take any further action if you have been specifically trained to do so. I think any 'have-a-go-hero' style intervention risks the worker and leaves the corporation vulnerable to claims of false imprisonment/asssault etc.
And also it puts the shop worker at risk of getting lamped/ stabbed up by some desperate fool who things they can get away with that block of cheese or whatever.

And Tesco/Asda or whoever won't give a fuck for you. They won't even give you some extra clubcard points.
It's not weird - I'd have thought it's a pretty standard view to have, and I agree with you.

I've no problem with people stealing for subsistence, or if the self-scan till fucks up for some reason and you don't notice, but otherwise no.

There appears to be a number of posters who disagree with that on this thread though. I don't know how they sleep at night. :(
I sleep on a lovely mattress topper that I got half bat from the lifters

depends if you think that corporates will respond to increasing levels of 'shrinkage' by

a) accepting lower profits

b) thinking maybe that shows their prices are too high and reducing them a bit

c) cutting costs (quality of product and / or number of staff) and increasing prices to maintain profits

But that applies to pretty much everything - workers demanding more pay, workers demanding less overworking, better conditions, increasing costs, stores in less profitable areas, governments introducing new taxes or legislation - the bosses are always going to say they aren't to blame, that it is someone else fault, that their profits are borderline, that they just cannot make ends meet.

Bosses are always going to try and steal more and more from workers using whatever excuse they can. The only answer to that is to organise and fight back

depends if you think that corporates will respond to increasing levels of 'shrinkage' by

c) cutting costs (quality of product and / or number of staff) and increasing prices to maintain profits
The 'shrinkage' is a tiny fraction of the metrics they deal in; it really isn't relevant in their corporate strategies.

Well that's just fucking stupid isn't it? the supermarkets might as well just pile the stuff up on the pavement with a sign saying "Take What You Want". I can see how this might appeal to many people but it's a business model where there soon won't be any supermarkets in that area.

Excellent, when can we make a start?

Do you think that they currently could make extra profit but just choose not to, on the grounds that current pilfering is at acceptable levels, so they’ll do us that favour? But on the other hand, heaven help us if that shrinkage grows — then they’ll just have to choose otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom