Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

I went to a pub on Friday that only took cards. I was shocked!

Hubby would have walked out - he only does cash.

So, we always have some real cashiers.

Scabs (love that term) will not take cash or "age-required" products. Those products are lotteries, tobacco and alcohol. A live person must process you due to showing id.

Scabs (love that term) will not take cash or "age-required" products. Those products are lotteries, tobacco and alcohol. A live person must process you due to showing id.

in england, they will let you buy some age related products - for example some 'off the shelf' medications (16+), and alcohol (18+), but someone has to come and approve the transaction before you can pay.

you don't have to show ID if you are visibly over age (some will ask for ID if they think you're under 25. this hasn't happened to me for a long time...)

tobacco and lottery tickets have to be bought at a separate staffed counter.

despite the bullshit about 'freeing up' staff, there's usually one over-worked member of staff looking after all the scab tills, dealing with 'unexpected item in bagging area' (which can often be a sodding BAG), age verifications, technical problems, things that need security tags taking off, and people who have buggered something up or just don't know what they are doing, or get to the end of transaction then realise it's card only at that one.

in england, they will let you buy some age related products - for example some 'off the shelf' medications (16+), and alcohol (18+), but someone has to come and approve the transaction before you can pay.

Thanks!!!

When an age check is required, does the machine tell you to go get someone or is it on an honour system.

When an age check is required, does the machine tell you to go get someone or is it on an honour system.

the machine won't let you go on to the payment bit of the transaction and will call a staff member (most places a red light will show above the machine when intervention is required for something) - they have to come over and either scan their card or enter some sort of code to log in, then press the right button/s if they are happy to approve it.

alcohol licensing law here is that you can only buy booze if you're 18+, and you also have to be 18+ to sell booze, so presume they only let 18+ staff look after the self service bit. if you go to a proper checkout staffed by someone who's 16 or 17, they have to call a supervisor to approve a booze sale.

alcohol licensing law here is that you can only buy booze if you're 18+, and you also have to be 18+ to sell booze, so presume they only let 18+ staff look after the self service bit. if you go to a proper checkout staffed by someone who's 16 or 17, they have to call a supervisor to approve a booze sale.

Got that here, got to be of age to handle age-related items.

It always seemed a bit silly to me, but then a lot of the rules are a bit odd.

Thanks for answering my questions.

It's not weird - I'd have thought it's a pretty standard view to have, and I agree with you.

I've no problem with people stealing for subsistence, or if the self-scan till fucks up for some reason and you don't notice, but otherwise no.

There appears to be a number of posters who disagree with that on this thread though. I don't know how they sleep at night. :(
I don't steal, but I have fond memories of coming off a night shift, and buying some bread and cheese at Tesco, along with a bottle of malt whisky for Xmas. The cashier had had some sort of dispute with the previous customer, and was in a foul mood. For some reason the bottle didn't register, so she asked me for something like £4. I tried to point out that she hadn't charged me for the whisky, but she just shouted the amount again at me, which I gave her. I felt I'd done my best to pay, but I wasn't about to get into an argument about it, particularly when I was tired and just wanted to go home and sleep.

despite the bullshit about 'freeing up' staff, there's usually one over-worked member of staff looking after all the scab tills, dealing with 'unexpected item in bagging area' (which can often be a sodding BAG), age verifications, technical problems, things that need security tags taking off, and people who have buggered something up or just don't know what they are doing, or get to the end of transaction then realise it's card only at that one.
Quite often in the first 1-2 hours i am completely alone running the kiosk and self scan...it's not about freeing up staff it's about reducing staff....our 'services' staff level is almost skeleton now and i am dreading this week, especially christmas weekend to the point that i actually didn't go in yesterday as my stress levels (and other stuff, money and still grieving for my mum) were horrendous

I went to a pub on Friday that only took cards. I was shocked!
There's loads that are cashless in Leeds! Whitelocks, Turk's Head, Brew Society, Boathouse, think the Belgrave might be, Northern Market
i am dreading this week, especially christmas weekend to the point that i actually didn't go in yesterday as my stress levels (and other stuff, money and still grieving for my mum) were horrendous
Condolences mentalchik , sorry to hear this. Look after yourself.

Last edited:
I get repeat error messages when using self service tills due to buying products such as cabbages which are of non-uniform mass. Presumably the repeated visits of the staff to manually override the point of sale machines means that my visits to Aldi play some, albeit minor, part in the proletarian struggle against automation.

Last edited:
A lot of bars - let's not say pubs - in the Northern Quarter are cashless. As you say, if you don't keep a check on things it soon adds up.

It's not cheap for bars to maintain card readers so really they should be hanging into cash for as long as they can. There's nothing old fashioned will accepting banknotes.

A lot of bars - let's not say pubs - in the Northern Quarter are cashless. As you say, if you don't keep a check on things it soon adds up.

It's not cheap for bars to maintain card readers so really they should be hanging into cash for as long as they can. There's nothing old fashioned will accepting banknotes.
It's not cheap for bars to hang on to cash. They're near the top of the list for wee hours robberies (admittedly well below convenience shops). The few seconds it saves on the transaction is neither here nor there, but the safety aspect is real and much appreciated.

It’s also happening in pubs, if my experience testifies.
It might be an insurance thing - keeping cash on the premise overnight may cost more in insurance than maintaining card readers

There's loads that are cashless in Leeds! Whitelocks, Turk's Head, Brew Society, Boathouse, think the Belgrave might be, Northern Market

Condolences mentalchik , sorry to hear this. Look after yourself.
The Myrtle in Meanwood tried to go smartphone app only for ordering and payment and if you paid by card (which they would only accept very reluctantly) the drinks were more expensive. The backlash and drop in trade forced them into a U-turn. I (for one) still like cash and don’t own a smartphone so that pub’s off my list.

The Myrtle in Meanwood tried to go smartphone app only for ordering and payment and if you paid by card (which they would only accept very reluctantly) the drinks were more expensive. The backlash and drop in trade forced them into a U-turn. I (for one) still like cash and don’t own a smartphone so that pub’s off my list.
The posh coffee shop on the other side of the park only accepts cards, as I found out to my crushing embarrassment the other day :oops:

I get repeat error messages when using self service tills due to buying products such as cabbages which are of non-uniform mass. Presumably the repeated visits of the staff to manually override the point of sale machines means that my visits to Aldi play some, albeit minor, part in the proletarian struggle against automation.
Look Rosso Parks…

The Myrtle in Meanwood tried to go smartphone app only for ordering and payment and if you paid by card (which they would only accept very reluctantly) the drinks were more expensive. The backlash and drop in trade forced them into a U-turn.
Are you certain about this? Just mentioned it to a pal who goes there often and he says its still card only.
(btw the pub I mentioned earlier that is card-only is The Mustard Pot)

Are you certain about this? Just mentioned it to a pal who goes there often and he says its still card only.
(btw the pub I mentioned earlier that is card-only is The Mustard Pot)

I meant that they've reinstated card payments as opposed to just the app. They won't do cash. However, the Bayhorse just 50 yards down the road still does cash.

someone already mentionned robberies which are a thing and the potential insurance hike involved
then another thing is that if they take cards already then the cost has been spent, obviously if you have a leased machine that is a hefty cost but if your trade volume is large enough it would save a significant amount on all the square and other zettle out there with thier much higher charges

Card only on a night out ?
Really bad idea if you are trying to stick to a budget.

One of the places I went to recently during a conference was card only, and some barstaff were really reluctant to give receipts.
Several people were trying to add up what they thought they had spent and what appeared to be on their card - not all were happy with the results. In particular, one guy that was himself TT and had bought only soft drinks had found some "shots" charged to his card, and no, he had not knowingly bought rounds / alcohol ...

Back
Top Bottom