Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

Yeah. And TBH if I do go out with cash - well, did, it's been so long - I'd tend to see it as already spent once I'd taken it out. And it's so much easier to be robbed in a way you can't get back.

Tap and go now has a limit of £100 and you only have to insert a pin number once every 5 transactions, maybe more.
1 card stolen could be £500 down the drain. Not entirely sure what a bank or credit card would reimburse you under those circumstances.

Not entirely sure what a bank or credit card would reimburse you under those circumstances.
£500. Getting it out of them can be a chore, because you'd have to prove you'd done your very best to notify them the moment you found out, but they are obligated.
Apple/Google Pay has no cap and never asks for the PIN.

£500. Getting it out of them can be a chore, because you'd have to prove you'd done your very best to notify them the moment you found out, but they are obligated.
Apple/Google Pay has no cap and never asks for the PIN.
I have never used nor ever intend to use Apple pay type stuff.
And BTW, I rarely ever have as much as a £100 in cash yet alone £500.

You can't spend more than £100 without fingerprint or face id authentication though.
I honestly didn't know that because I'm not insane enough to let it pay for things without unlocking first. Phone NFC has quite a bit more range than tap and pay on cards.

Last edited:
I’ve always paid in shrapnel to my bank account using a branch with coin paying museum. Though not sure I’ve done that for a few years as don’t really have shrapnel these days

I like my local Lidl self serve tills. They limit my queue time and reduce inner kill everyone nearby tension that often figures in my head whilst queuing.
Same. I literally wouldn’t go to my local Aldi until they added self-service tills. The queues meant it took an age to get in and out before they had them which made it a no go.

my google search of that last word would suggest you might be a cat... as do the first 2 words
A palanquin is a bit more comfy than a chair in a box.
5b947081efa25_228673n.jpg

the ever reliable post office will do it
Metro also have a free coin counter machine. Used to be free for everyone but you need an account now. They were honestly not a bad bank, just a bad employer. And even then, there were hundreds of very happy people in other departments, it was just IT that was shit.

The Booths opposite work has now removed their self-serves.
That was on the cards.
Last time I was in a large supermarket I noticed they had more cashier's on duty. I also noticed you had to pass through barriers to get in and out of the shop floor regardless of till used.

Here in Spain, scab tills are unknown. The local Carrefour even has a fast-track till for elderly or vulnerable customers.

Maybe this revolt against scab tills will grow like the revolt against cheap, outsourced, distant call centres did. I remember once phoning up India or Singapore or wherever it was to be asked, "How are you spelling Brixton?"

Here in Spain, scab tills are unknown. The local Carrefour even has a fast-track till for elderly or vulnerable customers.

Maybe this revolt against scab tills will grow like the revolt against cheap, outsourced, distant call centres did. I remember once phoning up India or Singapore or wherever it was to be asked, "How are you spelling Brixton?"

I suspect what happened with the off-shored call centres, and what may well happen with self-serve tills, is that they turn out to be a false economy in the longer run. I reckon the primary factor is that self-serve makes theft easier and more tempting, hence the desperate measure of demanding to see receipts that's apparently been happening in some stores.

I fucked up a self serve till at Lidl yesterday. Shoved twenty quid in change in to buy three quid of vegetables. It whirred and whirred and spat out a receipt which I exchanged for my change. My change being in form of a tenner and some pound coins.

Surely there's just a basic truth to this 'debate'. If you are popping in somewhere for half a dozen items it's far more convenient to use a self-service till rather than queue up. It's just quicker, and you don't need to interact with someone, which at times is a huge relief. A trolley-full and you need a person - and enough staffed tills available to manage that need.

Surely there's just a basic truth to this 'debate'. If you are popping in somewhere for half a dozen items it's far more convenient to use a self-service till rather than queue up. It's just quicker, and you don't need to interact with someone, which at times is a huge relief. A trolley-full and you need a person - and enough staffed tills available to manage that need.
Self serve tills changed my shop habits. I only get a big trolley at Christmas. I just pop in most days and get that day’s provisions.

I do a weekly shop which varies from a basket right up to a trolley full. I always find self service to be the most convenient option.

The trolley-people, of course, tend to be the scab driver ones who do their shopping by car.

The ones that pop in for a smaller number of items are likely to travel by public transport supporting the employment of professional drivers.

Back
Top Bottom