Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

Self serve tills changed my shop habits. I only get a big trolley at Christmas. I just pop in most days and get that day’s provisions.
Why did you need the self-serve tills for this? I've been doing it all my life, and use whichever option is the more convenient.

Yeah. And TBH if I do go out with cash - well, did, it's been so long - I'd tend to see it as already spent once I'd taken it out. And it's so much easier to be robbed in a way you can't get back.

Tap and go now has a limit of £100 and you only have to insert a pin number once every 5 transactions, maybe more.
1 card stolen could be £500 down the drain. Not entirely sure what a bank or credit card would reimburse you under those circumstances.

I've had a card stolen and used, got the money back absolutely no problem at all. I did report within a couple of hours though, and you can block your own card instantly via the app (if your phone hasn't also been nicked).

Also "unusual" card transactions get flagged pretty quickly. Several of my own have been flagged and the card blocked until I phoned up and proved my ID in various ways. And they weren't even especially unusual, the bank's just over-cautious.

Report card stuff on the app 😱😂
I have nothing like that on my phone.

I didn't last time I needed to report a stolen card (I did use online banking, but did it via a browser rather than an app). So I downloaded it and froze the card while still on hold to the lost card line. All the thief got was the price of one bus fare, which was refunded.

If there's something especially sus about the fraudulent purchases then maybe it'd be harder. Not sure what apart from obvious stuff like orders to your own address, or a big, unexplained delay between loss/theft of card and you reporting it. But it's one of the few areas where I've experienced banks being efficient and fair. They get the money back from the retailers so there's nothing really discouraging them from refunding you.

What's a branch Granddad? 😀

I know this thread has long stopped being serious, but I think that's where Nationwide are still quite good. Not closing them at the rate others are.

I hadn't stepped foot into a branch of any bank for many years and I needed a printed statement for ID which had to come from the bank. The post was taking ages and I went to my local Nationwide and they did it. So they aren't totally awful.

I know this thread has long stopped being serious, but I think that's where Nationwide are still quite good. Not closing them at the rate others are.

I hadn't stepped foot into a branch of any bank for many years and I needed a printed statement for ID which had to come from the bank. The post was taking ages and I went to my local Nationwide and they did it. So they aren't totally awful.

They're using "keeping branches open" as their USP in their ads now and it's a good move to go for, at least for now.

I think they often own the buildings they're using, which would help.

Something just remembered: I had a mate who, about 15 years ago when they were a bit of a novelty, knew how to disable the sound on a scab till, and he used to rinse Sainsbury´s for about 200 quid a week.
They have come a long way security wise. Whilst i dont for 1 second think that the latest gimmick (a 'live recording' of yourself on the till) is in any way monitored, i think subtle changes like noises and the till locking itself make it tougher to fool it and the person assigned overseeing it. I remember when they first came out i was a skint student and it was a bountiful time for basically everyone. I would often do a weekly shop, scanning through a trolley load of luxury groceries, stick my card in to pay and enter the pin, then whip it out too quickly before it could process and calmly walk out. They never even noticed although if they did i think i had a pretty good alibi they could check on CCTV if necessary.

The trolley size is a factor.

In Aldi the main tills are optimal for having a trolley to offload stuff into - and ideally a second person - otherwise there's a lot of bending down ...
I'm an intermediate scale of customer so I use a wheelie basket and have to queue for one of the bigger scab tills ... where I aim to deposit my bulky plant-based calories evenly by weight into two Ikea totes.
I appear to be unique in my shopping method ...

I also like my purchases to have as little cross-contamination as possible.

The one minor annoyance is the age confirmation for wine...

The trolley size is a factor.

In Aldi the main tills are optimal for having a trolley to offload stuff into - and ideally a second person - otherwise there's a lot of bending down ...
I'm an intermediate scale of customer so I use a wheelie basket and have to queue for one of the bigger scab tills ... where I aim to deposit my bulky plant-based calories evenly by weight into two Ikea totes.
I appear to be unique in my shopping method ...

I also like my purchases to have as little cross-contamination as possible.

The one minor annoyance is the age confirmation for wine...
No-one asks me to prove my age, as soon as the till beeps, the operator just clears it. I'm sure Aldi must test it's staff for psychic ability. How else could they possibly know I am over 21 if they don't ask?

They're using "keeping branches open" as their USP in their ads now and it's a good move to go for, at least for now.
They have closed quite a few in the last 12 months or so in the run up to that advert and there have been numerous complaints to the ASA as a result.

Manager in Aldi asked Mrs SFM for ID again last week - the smooth talking swine! 😤
When the parents of my second daughter's boyfriend (now husband) first visited from Galway, his father greeted Mrs Q with "And you must be the older sister then?" Delivered in a Irish accent it made my normally somewhat cynical wife blush like a schoolgirl, it's wonder she didn't swoon.

Back
Top Bottom