Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of scab tills

I've never tried scan as you go round - you can do it with your phone now in some supermarkets. I think I'd forget that I was doing it half way round.

I've never tried scan as you go round - you can do it with your phone now in some supermarkets. I think I'd forget that I was doing it half way round.

It's really handy and I like actually packing my shopping bags as I go. In Asda there's seperate checkouts for them, which are rarely busy, even when everything else is manic. The main issue is if they're really busy, there's often no charged handsets. I should probably try the phone app.

Some banks are still playing serious catch up. Using Nationwide is like stepping back in time compared to Starling, which I use for most stuff these days.
800 staff gone in past year, more to follow. Of course they are not like other banks

Bearing in mind Booths have mostly done away with self service tills, is that statement about facial recognition just to cover their backs or are they actually using it?

They're using it in 2 stores I use, so I suppose they are probably using it wherever they feel they "need" it.

I spoke to the manager in my nearest store, stating my concerns, mentioned the signage informing punters isn't very visible etc.

He agreed on the signage and offered to move it somewhere better and was adamant the system is only used to catch out repeat offenders in stores they have a problem at and that the system used captures the face of everyone, compares it to their Person of Interest Watchlist, if no match found, face deleted. If you're on the POIW, I suppose it records this visit and keeps the image. And that's what the blurb I linked to says.

I still don't like it. I'm considering whether to return my loyalty card to Head Office and cite why I won't be shopping there any longer. But, they'll all do summat similar eventually, so where do you shop. It just feels like overkill that I need to have my fucking face scanned when I want a coffee in their cafe or some milk from the store or want to peruse their reduced section of an evening, innit?

They're using it in 2 stores I use, so I suppose they are probably using it wherever they feel they "need" it.

I spoke to the manager in my nearest store, stating my concerns, mentioned the signage informing punters isn't very visible etc.

He agreed on the signage and offered to move it somewhere better and was adamant the system is only used to catch out repeat offenders in stores they have a problem at and that the system used captures the face of everyone, compares it to their Person of Interest Watchlist, if no match found, face deleted. If you're on the POIW, I suppose it records this visit and keeps the image. And that's what the blurb I linked to says.

I still don't like it. I'm considering whether to return my loyalty card to Head Office and cite why I won't be shopping there any longer. But, they'll all do summat similar eventually, so where do you shop. It just feels like overkill that I need to have my fucking face scanned when I want a coffee in their cafe or some milk from the store or want to peruse their reduced section of an evening, innit?
Thats all pretty obvious, at least the answer is and they would say that, wouldnt they.
I think most of the supermarkets down here which have scab tills now use it, and it's right in your face in that you can see yourself while scanning loading and paying.
I would assume that you don't get this if you use staffed tills.

Thats all pretty obvious, at least the answer is and they would say that, wouldnt they.
I think most of the supermarkets down here which have scab tills now use it, and it's right in your face in that you can see yourself while scanning loading and paying.
I would assume that you don't get this if you use staffed tills.
This has nothing to do with the type of tills, just good old fashioned shoplifting.

It's just a more advanced version of what I have seen in loads of small shops.

A rogue's gallery of CCTV pictures of people banned due to shoplifting.

I assume big ships had/have something similar, just out of sight.

They may have it and it may be out of sight but they legally have to have signage up at the entrance informing you that they have CCTV and/or Facial Recognition and it must be permanently on view, easy to see and read.

My beef with the local Booths was that the signage is all attached to automatic doors that move, well fold, out of your way when you approach, or, are already folded off, when you approach the doors, someone else is in front of you or is exiting. This means all the signage is out of sight or too far away from some for them to read adequately. Which annoyed me and felt almost like it was done on purpose.

They may have it and it may be out of sight but they legally have to have signage up at the entrance informing you that they have CCTV and/or Facial Recognition and it must be permanently on view, easy to see and read.

My beef with the local Booths was that the signage is all attached to automatic doors that move, well fold, out of your way when you approach, or, are already folded off, when you approach the doors, someone else is in front of you or is exiting. This means all the signage is out of sight or too far away from some for them to read adequately. Which annoyed me and felt almost like it was done on purpose.
It was

Nope, not anymore, that went a long time ago
I think it’s illegal to store and/or share images of suspects now.
Though I have noticed my local petrol station/Spar briefly displayed CCTV images of shoplifting suspects on their shopfront. Perhaps they were told to take them down

Yes, you get people trying to use them who simply don't have the intelligence to scan a barcode themselves, or tell the difference between the packing area and the bit where you put a basket etc etc, and they hold up everyone behind them. Mostly they dont give a shit about others though, so it really falls back onto the supermarket to ensure they corral these people to the manned tills, and make sure enough of the manned tills are actually manned.
I had someone demand I help them at the self service till in my local Lidl. They were not polite. I pointed out they had a smartphone which was in use right then and if they could use that just fucking get on with it.

They got all potentially scuffly. I was embarrassed after on reflection.

I had someone demand I help them at the self service till in my local Lidl. They were not polite. I pointed out they had a smartphone which was in use right then and if they could use that just fucking get on with it.

They got all potentially scuffly. I was embarrassed after on reflection.
Did you look like a Lidl employee at the time of the incident?

I fully support scab tills nowadays as I calculate they provide me with a 40% discount on my weekly shop :D

Reactions: tim
I have quite often wondered if my unkempt appearance makes me appear suspicious in shops... and in the past I felt certain I was attracting attention..
Now I wonder if my COVID mask is an issue - though being the only one still wearing one - plus my two huge IKEA totes full of veggies and beans and other regular habits probably makes me very memorable and trusted..even when I go to a second shop with groceries from the previius one...

Also "unusual" card transactions get flagged pretty quickly. Several of my own have been flagged and the card blocked until I phoned up and proved my ID in various ways. And they weren't even especially unusual, the bank's just over-cautious.
I got a new card from my bank, and the first time I used it was to try and buy fuel from the fully automatic pumps at Costco before a long trip. Got blocked as suspicious, apparently because it initially takes out 1p from your account or something then takes the rest once you finish fuelling. I had to instead fill up at a motorway services for about 20p per litre more, after having phoned and shouted at them to reinstate my card. Think the bank gave me £50 compensation for my ordeal when I complained about it.

Ok run us through how you blag it. I have known coppers to get caught. I am a crap thief so never do it.

Not to go into too many details publically but basically just not scanning stuff, forgetting, abusing plausible deniability. Like putting bigger bulker or more expensive items to the side. Or putting down your rucksack during the scanning process you pay to get out bags or find your loyalty card, blocking your view in the process. I think the key it to pay for the vast majority of objects until you get more confident. I am fairly brazen but it does depend on the store, staff etc.

Back
Top Bottom