Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

Similarly, the Chinese take away only do cash, unless you order online beforehand (whereby you can pay by card), but you can't just rock up and use a card. Weird.
having gone in person but been refused card payment, presumably you could order online on your phone for collection then and there.
if you didn’t mind looking a bit mad.

I’m guessing they use Just Eat or similar with their fees to be. So how much extra would the online order cost?

having gone in person but been refused card payment, presumably you could order online on your phone for collection then and there.
if you didn’t mind looking a bit mad.

I’m guessing they use Just Eat or similar with their fees to be. So how much extra would the online order cost?

Yes they often referred people to the website if they just couldn't go and get cash from the ATM outside. Inevitably it was easier to just go and get cash.

I wouldn’t be “put off” as such, but I would be unable to use the shop/service as I just don’t carry cash any more.
I always have some cash on me, atm, It's just a fiver, but I take out £100 in cash when i get paid as carrying around money .

I wouldn't be put off by a cash only sign

Like others I don't normally carry cash. If it's somewhere I want to go and I know they don't take it, I'll go prepared, but I don't have my wallet on me routinely as I use my phone for everything.

I could cope with a slim wallet for notes, but I just don't want the hassle of change. If it doesn't go in a wallet, I loose it.

I always have some cash on me, atm, It's just a fiver, but I take out £100 in cash when i get paid as carrying around money .
I think always having some notes as a safety net is never a bad thing.

I remember going into a bar in Manchester and only then discovering that my contactless card was damaged. The only accepted payment method was card, so the only thing stopping me from buying anything was technology, my balance was fine, it was just the card didn't function properly ("They're less well made these days," said the Halifax employee, a few days later.). This is where the safety net wouldn't have helped, but all the same, not being able to buy something because of a technical issue, rather than a financial one, gave me a really bad feeling.

Like others I don't normally carry cash. If it's somewhere I want to go and I know they don't take it, I'll go prepared, but I don't have my wallet on me routinely as I use my phone for everything.

I could cope with a slim wallet for notes, but I just don't want the hassle of change. If it doesn't go in a wallet, I loose it.

^^ This.

And its especially why the UK is annoying for cash as the lowest form of paper is £5. Which rarely gets dispensed in ATMs. If we had £1 or £2 notes (like the US has $1 notes) then it'd be much easier, but coins are a pain and get lost, so inevitably I don't bother with cash at all now.

I actually had to use cash the other day in a juke box, so had to change a fiver at the bar, but now I've got three £1 coins in a bag rattling around. AND I almost lost them this morning when I was in a changing room shufffling stuff in and out of my bag. As if to prove my point on how crappy coins are.

^^ This.

And its especially why the UK is annoying for cash as the lowest form of paper is £5. Which rarely gets dispensed in ATMs. If we had £1 or £2 notes (like the US has $1 notes) then it'd be much easier, but coins are a pain and get lost, so inevitably I don't bother with cash at all now.

I actually had to use cash the other day in a juke box, so had to change a fiver at the bar, but now I've got three £1 coins in a bag rattling around. AND I almost lost them this morning when I was in a changing room shufffling stuff in and out of my bag. As if to prove my point on how crappy coins are.
To be honest if I have to use cash I prefer a few one pound or two pound coins to plastic notes. It's those that I lose - they just fly out of your pocket. But I have never got the hang of wallets, not even in the old days when everything was cash.

I don't know about contactless in Hokkaido, but it's becoming more popular overall in Japan

The pricing befuddles me as well. Everywhere has a different price for the same product, and you can guarantee if you have 110 yen in coins and the rest in notes, that your chilled green tea is gonna cost 111 yen :mad: :mad: Pockets weighing me down and jangling constantly.

all you cashless people do you really trust the banks and the Govts of the world to go proper cashless? Cos I sure as feck don't. :(
This is a bizarre statement to make unless you exist by hoarding your cash under your bed and never engage with the financial industry. The fact that you walk around with £30 in your pocket doesn’t mean you aren’t trusting the banks and Governments of the world. It just means that you are trusting them with all your finances except for £30.

Probably already been said but it's not fair on small businesses either
It has indeed already been discussed many times on the thread. Maybe you can bring something new to the discussion in terms of why it’s not fair on small businesses? Ideally, something that hasn’t already been answered lots of times.

The pricing befuddles me as well. Everywhere has a different price for the same product, and you can guarantee if you have 110 yen in coins and the rest in notes, that your chilled green tea is gonna cost 111 yen :mad: :mad: Pockets weighing me down and jangling constantly.
There's usually a ten percent tax on goods afaik

Charles has been presented with "his" banknotes

83413009-13288255-image-a-2-1712669123558.jpg

83413017-13288255-image-a-4-1712669145456.jpg

83412989-13288255-image-a-6-1712669179004.jpg

Last time a monarch appeared in pics with mitts that colour they were dead within days.

I'm in Asda. Two women of a certain age have just met up near me to assure each other that the coins in their hands are real.

"Well, when did that happen?"
"What do you mean?"
"Pound coins looking like threp'ni bits?"
"Oh they've looked like that for ages!"
'Pounds? Like threp'ni bits? Since when?"
"Oh for years you silly beggar."
"I don't bloody notice! It doesn't stay in my purse long enough!"

This is a bizarre statement to make unless you exist by hoarding your cash under your bed and never engage with the financial industry. The fact that you walk around with £30 in your pocket doesn’t mean you aren’t trusting the banks and Governments of the world. It just means that you are trusting them with all your finances except for £30.

It has indeed already been discussed many times on the thread. Maybe you can bring something new to the discussion in terms of why it’s not fair on small businesses? Ideally, something that hasn’t already been answered lots of times.
the intellectually bereft seem to think that retail banking for small businesses is fee free as retail personal banking is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom