Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

In YT The Cranberries have 6 songs +100.000.000 listens. What about The Beatles?

No disrespect to The Cranberries (tho not a fan myself) but to compare them in anyway, shape or form to the likes of The Beatles or Bowie etc is deluded. At best, they belong in the same breath as the likes of the simpering Coldplay or, if you are feeling a bit harsh, the truly awful Lighthouse Family. In other words, vanilla music. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but to rate them anything above inconsequential would be doing them a favour.

from your fave bands listed earlier, you seem to have inherited your dads old record collection and not bothered to find anything of your own. That's a bit sad.
I inherited that collection and I have been expanding it over these two years, I don't understand what kind of problem you have. I don't want to put records regularly on the turntable because it is a new Crosley and the stylus damages the surface of the vinyl. I am restoring the Philipps gear as it is less damaging to vinyls, but the original amp doesn't work and the cable outputs are a bit unusual

yeah, they sold well and were pretty popular, no one denies that. So did Take That, so did shit loads of bands. And I am rather suspect of Spotify listings really relating well to what a bands most popular songs are - Here Comes the Sun as the most popular Beatles? Seems rather unlikely. PLus it should be noted that both Bowie and the Beatles refused to put their music on Spotify initially (iirr) which will have reduced their listens a bit.

Yes I agree. Except that Take That were kinda good.

No disrespect to The Cranberries (tho not a fan myself) but to compare them in anyway, shape or form to the likes of The Beatles or Bowie etc is deluded. At best, they belong in the same breath as the likes of the simpering Coldplay or, if you are feeling a bit harsh, the truly awful Lighthouse Family. In other words, vanilla music. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but to rate them anything above inconsequential would be doing them a favour.
the problem Crannadict has is that of those 100,000,000 listens about 95,000,000 are immediately preceded or followed by people listening to the beatles, bowie or paul simon, indicating that they are comparing the artists: and not always to the cranberries' advantage.

I inherited that collection and I have been expanding it over these two years, I don't understand what kind of problem you have. I don't want to put records regularly on the turntable because it is a new Crosley and the stylus damages the surface of the vinyl. I am restoring the Philipps gear as it is less damaging to vinyls, but the original amp doesn't work and the cable outputs are a bit unusual
thats cool, good luck with the restoration. But try and find some new music, not just fucking heritage acts, eh?

But it is that I do not care if they are less important than Bowie or The Beatles, what I am saying is that it is one of the best bands of the 90s and it is the only case of an indie and dreampop band that became a huge band , in fact the sixth best seller of the 90s.

Doesn't this have merit? Doesn't it have merit to have overshaded bands like Oasis or Blur in the US?

But it is that I do not care if they are less important than Bowie or The Beatles, what I am saying is that it is one of the best bands of the 90s and it is the only case of an indie and dreampop band that became a huge band , in fact the sixth best seller of the 90s.

Doesn't this have merit? Doesn't it have merit to have overshaded bands like Oasis or Blur in the US?
not really, no

what makes the best music? is it the music that sells the most? i don't think so, i think that is a facile way of judging things.

fucking no one listens to most of the number ones of the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties etc, not now. who listens to something like star trekkin more than once in a blue moon now? there've been some very popular but utterly lamentable tunes. so i don't think i'd equate what was popular in the nineties with the best music of the decade.

yeah, they sold well and were pretty popular, no one denies that. So did Take That, so did shit loads of bands. And I am rather suspect of Spotify listings really relating well to what a bands most popular songs are - Here Comes the Sun as the most popular Beatles? Seems rather unlikely. PLus it should be noted that both Bowie and the Beatles refused to put their music on Spotify initially (iirr) which will have reduced their listens a bit.

Also you say all this but I'm longing to go back to a time long before the Cranberries. Say... 1961.

If I'm telling you that I've been expanding the collection for two years, things like the Boston debut (we only had the second), Aqualung, Supertramp Crisis, etc ...
If…. Then what? Listing a bunch of heritage acts isn’t really an indication of listening to new music.

the 90s were shite for rock music. it was better to go to a rave and dance to techno, house and drum n bass than listen to fucking Oasis and Blur and get shit beer thrown at you
Spain was a power in this type of music, it took over from the Italian disco. But in my opinion all that music (makina was called in Spain) was filthy garbage

Why? They reached the hearts of many people, they are the last alternative band for real
cigarettes reach the hearts of many people but i don't think i'd say they were really good.

if you look back at the sixties, ken dodd was the 3rd biggest selling artist in the uk Ken Dodd 'third best-selling artist of 1960s'

but i don't think people would say he was the 3rd best musician of the sixties. i think it is facile to equate popularity with the best music. there's been so much utter dross which has been popular to disprove your thesis.

Do I have to listen to what you tell me and do I have to take your opinions for granted?
Of course not. Indeed the fact that you don’t have to is part of the point. There is no reason why you should care what I like just as there is no reason for anyone to give a flying fuck about what bands you like.

just enjoy what you like and accept we all have different tastes.

cigarettes reach the hearts of many people but i don't think i'd say they were really good.

if you look back at the sixties, ken dodd was the 3rd biggest selling artist in the uk Ken Dodd 'third best-selling artist of 1960s'

but i don't think people would say he was the 3rd best musician of the sixties. i think it is facile to equate popularity with the best music. there's been so much utter dross which has been popular to disprove your thesis.
So who decides what is quality music? Why King Crimson, Yes, The Cure, The Smiths or Jethro Tull can be in the Top100 and The Cranberries not if they created really beautiful and unique music?

They weren't a dream pop band either.

So who decides what is quality music? Why King Crimson, Yes, Tue Cure, The Smiths or Jethro Tull can be in the Top100 and Tue Cranberries not if they created really beautiful and unique music?
Because only a fucking moron thinks there is any ‘meaningful’ list of such things. It’s the kind of wank that is just there for clickbait shite.

like what you like and don’t give a shit what anyone else thinks.

Well Enya overshadowed Oasis, Blur AND The Cranberries in the US and she was far more "DREAMPOP" than all of them.....in fact she was rather batshit crazy. She even, apparently, has a planet named after her. And lives in an Irish Castle too.

Does this not have even more merit than Dolores and the lads?:thumbs:

Of course not. Indeed the fact that you don’t have to is part of the point. There is no reason why you should care what I like just as there is no reason for anyone to give a flying fuck about what bands you like.

just enjoy what you like and accept we all have different tastes.
I respect Enya

Fair enough. But in terms of popularity, they seem to be in a similar ball park, and Zombie is head and shoulders above anything in the Bowie back catalogue. There's a genuinely huge amount of love out there for them.

I feel that this point shouldn't be an important one. In general that is.
Zombie had had shitloads of plays as did two other songs of theirs. But if you look down at the total plays for other Bowie's songs he completely eclipses the Cranberries, registering huge totals for multiple songs, not that I view Spotify as being the only way to gauge an artist's popularity, nor particularly care.

1626361815918.png

1626361853561.png

Back
Top Bottom