Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

No disrespect to The Cranberries (tho not a fan myself) but to compare them in anyway, shape or form to the likes of The Beatles or Bowie etc is deluded. At best, they belong in the same breath as the likes of the simpering Coldplay or, if you are feeling a bit harsh, the truly awful Lighthouse Family. In other words, vanilla music. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but to rate them anything above inconsequential would be doing them a favour.
Coldplay have truly immense plays on Spotify. They make the Cranberries look like a pub band.

1626361998709.png

And then there's - eek -

1626362077942.png

So why did you bother with 832?

no mentions for los planetos? Headbirds? Standstill? Y’know, Spanish rock bands trying to move on from dad rock. Hell, even love of lesbian would be a step forward.

Los Planetas did not know how to play. Maybe you should listen to The Cranberries discography for the first time and leave prejudices behind

Zombie had had shitloads of plays as did two other songs of theirs. But if you look down at the total plays for other Bowie's songs he completely eclipses the Cranberries, registering huge totals for multiple songs, not that I view Spotify as being the only way to gauge an artist's popularity, nor particularly care.

View attachment 278635

View attachment 278636

Yes I know. I was cherry picking in the interests of laziness.

Keith Mansfield only has 143 thousand monthly listens. A bit more than 1% of the Cranberries. Funky Fanfare has a measly 3 million listens around 0.5% of Zombie.

It's a statistical point that I attach no value to.

But in the interests of honesty The Cranberries' popularity is mountainously huge, and it's only left for us to quibble about the size of the mountain.

I do admire the tenacity of the Cranberries fan who we have inherited. It’s nice they occasionally write a Spanglish post to remind us they’re from Majorca too.

I was trying to think of other 90s bands which would be even less plausible to be an evangelical superfan of. I settled for Echobelly.

Los Planetas did not know how to play. Maybe you should listen to The Cranberries discography for the first time and leave prejudices behind
Oh dear, such prejudice. What a shame.

and please don’t make assumptions about what I’ve listen to before. The awfulness of the lyric to Zombie is not the only reason I think theyre kinda crap.

Coldplay have truly immense plays on Spotify. They make the Cranberries look like a pub band.

View attachment 278638

And then there's - eek -

View attachment 278639

Actually, two songs by Coldplay aren't that bad: Clocks and Don't Panic. I'll at least give them that.

As for Ed Sheeran......just a busker who struck lucky. Galway Girl is an total abomination and he should forever be barred from stepping foot on Irish soil again because of it.

Oh dear, such prejudice. What a shame.

and please don’t make assumptions about what I’ve listen to before. The awfulness of the lyric to Zombie is not the only reason I think theyre kinda crap.
When Dolores and Noel wrote the lyrics for Zombie in 1993 they were 21 years old, what were you doing with your life at that age? They were composing the second biggest rock anthem of the 90s

When Dolores and Noel wrote the lyrics for Zombie in 1993 they were 21 years old, what were you doing with your life at that age? They were composing the second biggest rock anthem of the 90s
By what criteria are you declaring this to be a FACT and what song is supposed to be #1?

Also, the best part of Zombie is the guitar solo at the end. A crude solo, not very technical, but effective and really grunge. That one minute solo with touches of heavy metal was the first time for many people that they listened to some of that kind of hard-rock.

Also, the best part of Zombie is the guitar solo at the end. A crude solo, not very technical, but effective and really grunge. That one minute solo with touches of heavy metal was the first time for many people that they listened to some of that kind of hard-rock.
So you agree the lyrics are embarrassing shit?

Zombie is a good song, 7/10 IMO. But Promises and So Could In Ireland (a little hard-rock songs) are better than Zombie. Even Hollywood could be better.

I do admire the tenacity of the Cranberries fan who we have inherited. It’s nice they occasionally write a Spanglish post to remind us they’re from Majorca too.

I was trying to think of other 90s bands which would be even less plausible to be an evangelical superfan of. I settled for Echobelly.

I have a mate is a huge Menswear obsessive.

sorry, let me rephrase.

ONLY FUCKING IDIOTS CARE ABOUT THEIR FUCKING SPOTIFY PLAYS
I think it is quite a plausible indication of the impact many artists have caused several years after their prime. For example, Bowie has 15.8 and Radiohead 12.5, Pearl Jam 10,6...

Back
Top Bottom