Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

I have often DJd alongside someone who chooses to play the Cranberries out...and still does....and she gets paid a lot more money for it than I get for my efforts....
I've honestly never ever been asked. I may have played one of their songs once years ago, but there's certainly no appetite for them amongst the youngish indie-pop crowds I often play to.

To be honest, crannadict has actually completely put me off ever playing them again, even at home.

I'm not going to keep quiet if that's what you want editor. You will have to ban me, even without just cause
Why do you want to keep posting in a forum that you're slagging off as 'shitty'?
Are you desperate or something? Or is it because no one looks at your own blog and you're desperate for attention?

In fact there is no list of 50 or 100 best bands, it is totally subjective and only the sales data has a certain degree of objectivity, because it can be measured.

The Cranberries were a band with a sound that combined Irish folk rock and dreampop, with certain influences from The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division, Echo And The Bunnymen and other post-punk bands. But like I said, the debut album is mostly dreampop with some classic rock songs like How and other shoegaze songs like Pretty or I Still Do.

My point to give an intrinsic value to the band, apart from my biased vision, is that it is the only band with this kind of sound and origins that has become huge in the world, selling 50 million units (15 in US), at a time when English bands like Pulp, Suede, Oasis and Blur failed miserably in that market.

I sincerely believe that this band had something very special apart from its vocalist, and it was the fact of having a fully identifiable sound thanks to the folk component of their melodies, which can be seen in Dreams, Cordell or Sunday, among others.

Discussing whether or not it is a Top50 or Top100 does not really have impotence, the serious thing is that there are people who still do not value and respect such an influential and important band, which has left an indelible mark on history, and will continue to gain followers over the years.

Because they are and will be a fundamental band of their time, the 90s

Yes I feel that this is correct.

I've honestly never ever been asked. I may have played one of their songs once years ago, but there's certainly no appetite for them amongst the youngish indie-pop crowds I often play to.

To be honest, crannadict has actually completely put me off ever playing them again, even at home.
But it's the same. Your personal experience is not indicative of anything at all. On Saturday, Stars is released for the first time on vinyl, an edition of 999 units due to Record Store Day.
All the units were reserved the day after I left, in fact in the store where they have reserved the album for me, they only had 4 units assigned and more than 30 people asked for a reservation. In mallorca.

Love is a strong word.

But you need to listen to 100 compositions by Ruddy Yurts.

In that way, the meaning will become clear.
the quadruple album "100 compositions" very rare now of course and can no longer be easily found on streaming services due to his rants against bill gates and bezos and apple led to it being blacklisted by a whole host of isps

But it's the same. Your personal experience is not indicative of anything at all. On Saturday, Stars is released for the first time on vinyl, an edition of 999 units due to Record Store Day.
All the units were reserved the day after I left, in fact in the store where they have reserved the album for me, they only had 4 units assigned and more than 30 people asked for a reservation. In mallorca.
Let me know which store and I'll get the order cancelled. The point of RSD is to get people into shops, not to allow for collectors to snap everything up first.

Another reason Cranberries fans are cunts.

Quick look at Spotify figures.

Beatles Here Comes the Sun has 669million listens
Cranberries' Zombie has 596 million listens
David Bowie's Heroes has 280 million listens

Cranberries>2xDavid Bowie and only slightly behind the Beatles.

There are definitely a lot of people out there who really, really like the Cranberries. Maybe not suitable for hip dj's and their hip audiences, but surely one of the top 50 greatest bands of all time by this measure that I have just made up.

Quick look at Spotify figures.

Beatles Here Comes the Sun has 669million listens
Cranberries' Zombie has 596 million listens
David Bowie's Heroes has 280 million listens

Cranberries>2xDavid Bowie and only slightly behind the Beatles.

There are definitely a lot of people out there who really, really like the Cranberries. Maybe not suitable for hip dj's and their hip audiences, but surely one of the top 50 greatest bands of all time by this measure that I have just made up.
A lot of people who like one song, anyway. The Cranberries 5th most popular song (Zombie acouistic) has 50M listens, v 370M for the beatles and 235M for Bowie

Back
Top Bottom