Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

In Ireland sorrow is something that has a longer standing than Catholicism. It’s written all through the legends of th
But the name isn’t an Irish one. It’s more normally “Maria Dolores”, in fact, just to make it even more transparent what its origins are.

Last edited:
But the name isn’t an Irish one. It’s more normally “Maria Delores”, in fact, just to make it even more transparent what its origins are.
I know, I was just making the point that there is a whole series of tales within the Ulster Cycle that concern sorrows. That the articulation of sorrows is of a long standing tradition much longer than Catholicism.

I know, I was just making the point that there is a whole serif tales within the Ulster Cycle that concern sorrows. That the articulation of sorrows is of a long standing tradition much longer than Catholicism.
Fair enough, but I’m not sure what that’s got to do with the name Dolores, which has a very clear etymology and whose history of use is utterly transparent. In Spain, in fact, you often find it as the full “Maria de Los Dolores”. I was talking about the use of a name, not the social and folk history of sorrow.

“Sorrows”, not “Sorrow”. From “Our Lady of Sorrows”, ie Mary. It’s just part of the ongoing obsession in Catholic countries with naming girls after the Virgin Mary.
As mentioned up thread, one of my great aunts was called Adolorata. One of her sisters was called Imaccolata. The others also had very Southern Italian, very Catholic names (which were of course shortened/anglicised when they moved here).

ETA Actually, I think they ^ may have been born here but the rest were born in Italy.

If you name your child Martin, you aren’t literally saying he is a god of war or one of the war god’s adherents.

Back
Top Bottom