Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

I shouldn't be bothering with this, but here's my humble opinions.

Dolores had a very good singing voice. I don't think she was a technically brilliant singer, although there's nothing wrong with that.

Her lyrics (if it was her who wrote the lyrics, not sure) are atrocious. She gives the impression of being obsessed with Morrissey, and therefore trying to be the sort of lyricist she just can't. It wants to be poetry, but it's often barely even English.

I used to read the NME etc in those days, and Dolores came across as pretty right wing and a strong anti-feminist. She was young, so possibly she was just a gobshite, but either way there's not much to admire.

My mum knew her professionally, by the way. Which is irrelevant to anything. I'm just showing off. Also, my mum was not a drug dealer, before anyone asks.

Dolores's lyrics are those of a farm girl, with her limitations. But still Dolores was a good student, who read Yeats even though she never understood metrics, Dolores never pretended to be Morrissey even though you are implying that. For me his lyrics are sincere and honest, many may dislike them, it is legitimate.

But to me lyrics like Not Sorry or Iosa are exceptional, as well as What You Were and Shinedown. However, the valuation of the lyrics is something much more subjective even than the music. I've read a lot of people criticizing the lyrics of The Cranberries but they never criticized the lyrics of another song other than I Just Shot John Lennon.

And yes, I admire Dolores. And I love her so much. I admire her because she was an abused girl who always lived with that trauma, and despite this she managed to make the whole world fall in love with her "non-technical voice."

A voice that for many millions of people in this world is still mystical, the voice of an angel.

But to me lyrics like Not Sorry or Iosa are exceptional,
They're really not. Just bog standard filler verse.

Keep on looking through the window again
But I'm not sorry if I do insult you
I'm sad, not sorry 'bout the way that things went
And you'll be happy and I'll be forsakin' thee
I swore I'd never feel like this again
But you're so selfish
You don't see you're doing to me
I keep on looking through the window again
No, I'm not sorry if I do insult you
No, I'm not sorry if I do insult you
You told me lies
And I cried, and I cried, and I cried
'Cause you lied, lied
And I cried
Yes I cried, yes I cry, I cry, I cry again

These Cranberry threads are as peculiar as the Squirrels on Crack phenomenon. Who would have thought that the most prominent band at urban would be purveyors of elevator music?

These Cranberry threads are as peculiar as the Squirrels on Crack phenomenon. Who would have thought that the most prominent band at urban would be purveyors of elevator music?
Elevator music needs a comeback. Maybe I don't visit the right sorts of elevators, but all I ever get is an actress's voice.

I shouldn't be bothering with this, but here's my humble opinions.

Dolores had a very good singing voice. I don't think she was a technically brilliant singer, although there's nothing wrong with that.

Her lyrics (if it was her who wrote the lyrics, not sure) are atrocious. She gives the impression of being obsessed with Morrissey, and therefore trying to be the sort of lyricist she just can't. It wants to be poetry, but it's often barely even English.

Just on a point if information..she sang trad Irish music growing up. And keened. I mean the old trad music not the kind you get on recordings.
She also had all of her education through Irish.
Not english.

Last edited:
As I’ve posted before I quite like the first 2 Cranberries albums to listen to, but I’m becoming less of a fan at an exponential rate every time I see a further post from the overzealous fan we appear to have acquired…

Back
Top Bottom