Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Arms Trade - the future is bright

hash tag

Reaching out
Can someone please explain whats bright about making lots of guns and bombs, instruments of torture Etc. because I just don't get it. :(:mad:

The London arms fair is an inexcusable disgrace – it’s a stain on the nation | Simon Jenkins
Fleur Thomas says "the future for our defence sector is a very bright one”.
Go tell it to the bereaved families in Yemen, to people tortured in the middle East Etc.

Human rights groups protest as world arms fair returns to London

Bet this won't be affected by Brexit :mad:

Campaign Against Arms Trade

Some guns will be used for sport, the majority not. Then there's bombs and land mines...they can hardly be used for sport. Then there is all the stuff which can be used to suppress it torture people, some of which will get traded in spite of bans on their manufacture and use.

Sorry L85 was pants
Law 80 or sorry the 94mm as it turned up ten years
Wasn't light couldn't take on Soviet tanks head on
(it's sole point) also poisoned the unfortunate operator with toxic exhaust fumes.

The tornado f3 the reliant Robin of fighter jets. More top cat than top gun.

Sorry L85 was pants
Law 80 or sorry the 94mm as it turned up ten years
Wasn't light couldn't take on Soviet tanks head on
(it's sole point) also poisoned the unfortunate operator with toxic exhaust fumes.

You confuse flawed concepts - as dictated by governments, in pursuit of political objectives, and produced by BAe (and in a number of the instances you mentioned, not by BAe) on a shut up and take my money basis - with systems that BAe produce themselves.

I don't work for BAe. My professional encounters with them have not all been to my personal satisfaction, but they are (overwhelmingly) not idiots.

I decided at Poly that I would not work in the defence sector, misnamed as it is, I prefer the war sector personally. I didn't want to be promoting my products on the basis of their increased maim ratios or more killing per pound etc ..

I have to watch myself though, my current employers make components some of which end up in war machines, while they pay well and our bits are far removed from the actual killing bits I am still a little uncomfortable.

It could out climb a Lightning, out turn a Phantom and out run a Hunter... Was it the best aircraft we could have bought at the time? No. Was it better than everything that came before? Yes.

I think they should have to explain themselves, considering what they are selling. And considering the lands that have been stolen based on 'because we can'.

It could out climb a Lightning, out turn a Phantom and out run a Hunter... Was it the best aircraft we could have bought at the time? No. Was it better than everything that came before? Yes.

No no no, you just don't get it - you may have flown it, spent your professional life studying it's every operating capability, completed endless training sorties against other aircraft, and repeatedly pushed it to it's absolute limits in circumstances where a failure to understand those limits would result in your instant, firery death - but likesfish read this stuff on the internet, so, you know, get back in your box.

Last edited:
The arms fair is also being called out by Sadiq Khan which I guess you have read.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/sadiq-khan-dsei-arms-saudi-arabia-london-mayor-knife-crime/

I know the company organise that event (Clarion) as I work in events. The head of DSEI tells me that they are losing sponsors and support rapidly and are planning to ditch the event soon ish.

That is not out of the goodness of their black hearts, it is because other events they run are losing business because of the association with the arms trade.

Slowly, very slowly, the message is getting across as people get called out for connections with the arms trade; Design Museum, Science Museum, National Gallery, Hollyrood House are a few that spring to mind.
The dissent is growing and getting louder. I have to say the average person that I have met at an arms trade demo is slightly off putting. Considering it is possibly the most vile and despicable thing this country
gets involved in, there has not been much of a call out on U75!

Slowly, very slowly, the message is getting across as people get called out for connections with the arms trade; Design Museum, Science Museum, National Gallery, Hollyrood House are a few that spring to mind.
The dissent is growing and getting louder. I have to say the average person that I have met at an arms trade demo is slightly off putting. Considering it is possibly the most vile and despicable thing this country
gets involved in, there has not been much of a call out on U75!
It's quite a religious crowd but all power to them actually getting out there and being willing to get arrested. I liked the action by young people from south london /advocacy CAAT on Twitter

What sort of freebies do you get at arms fairs? Is it just boring stuff like water bottles with the Raytheon logo on or is it all ammo necklaces and that
Well when we demonstrated with literally 10 other people a year or two back at Farnborough, we had photographs and videos taken by the police and they didn't charge us.

Tablets as in big mobile devices, ipads and that? 50, fucking hell.

To be fair, dishing out tablets is just a better way of showing off your product/project - far better than terms of paper and then queueing up videos on a big screen - they buy them in huge quantities, so get them at a tiny fraction of the price you or I would pay in Argos for them, and taking them back is a huge faff because they'll have to be professionally wiped to make sure someone hasn't put a virus on them that then goes back into the company's systems.

Easier to just give them away...

To be fair, dishing out tablets is just a better way of showing off your product/project - far better than terms of paper and then queueing up videos on a big screen - they buy them in huge quantities, so get them at a tiny fraction of the price you or I would pay in Argos for them, and taking them back is a huge faff because they'll have to be professionally wiped to make sure someone hasn't put a virus on them that then goes back into the company's systems.

Easier to just give them away...
Is there any way for a normal punter (me) to get an invite?

What sort of freebies do you get at arms fairs? Is it just boring stuff like water bottles with the Raytheon logo on or is it all ammo necklaces and that

We only managed t shirts and lots of wine and food.
Got tanked up courtesy of various other merchants of death after we verbally abused the BAE suits at Farnborough who were demonstrating the cutting edge engineering that was Sa80:)
They thought it was hilarious BAE complained to some very senior Royal Marine Officer about are behaviour unfortunately the Royal Marine officer agreed with us "Their right its a pile of shit" and came and got drunk with us.
Strangely are platoon commander couldn't score any free tickets next year????

Back
Top Bottom