Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

That medal table's looking good

i can't see us winning many golds after the sailing,rowing and cycling is over,

OK, got round to looking at the remaining events now and here's where we can still pick up medals:

Sailing: men's 470 class - Nick Rogers & Joe Glanfield silver medalists in Athens 4th after 10 races; men's Laser - Paul Goodison 1st after 6 races; men's RS:X (windsurfing) - Nick Dempsey 4th after 7 races; women's RS:X - Bryony Shaw 6th after 7 races; men's Tornado - Leigh McMillan & Will Howden 11th after 4 races; men's Star - Ian Percy & Andrew Simpson 8th after 4 races

Cycling: men's team pursuit - Ed Clancy, Paul Manning, Geraint Thomas, Bradley Wiggins & Steve Burke 11:20am Monday 19th; women's points race - Rebecca Romero 9:30am Monday 18th; men's Madison - Brad Wiggins & Mark Cavendish 10:30am Tuesday 20th; women's sprint - Victoria Pendleton Tuesday 20th; men's sprint - Chris Hoy Tuesday 20th; women's BMX - Shanaze Read 3:30am Thursday 21st

Triathlon: men's - Will Clarke, former world champion & Tim Don 3:00am Tuesday 19th; women's - Helen Tucker 3:00am Monday 18th

Gymnastics: uneven bars - Beth Tweddle, 11:43am Monday 18th

Equestrian: team showjumping - 12:15pm Monday 18th; individual dressage - Laura Bechtolsheimer 12:15pm Tuesday 19th; individual showjumping - John Whitaker & Tim Stockdale 3:10pm Thursday 21st

Athletics: men's triple jump - Phillips Idowu Thursday 21st; women's 400m - Christine Ohuruogu, world champion 3:10pm Tuesday 19th; women's 4x400m - 1:40pm Saturday 23rd; men's 4x100m - 1:40pm Friday 22nd

Canoeing: men's K1 flatwater 1000m & men's K1 flatwater 500m. Tim Brabants in both, 1000m is his strongest event where he won a bronze in Sydney and is current World and European champion. 1000m is 8:30am on Friday 22nd, 500m on Saturday 23rd

Modern pentathlon: women's. Heather Fell & Katy Livingston are ranked almost equal and both have a great chance. Final run starts 1pm on Friday 22nd.

Taekwondo: women's +67kg - Sarah Stevenson. Came fourth in Sydney at the age of 17. GB has won medals at every level in this other than the Olympics. Saturday 23rd.

Boxing: super heavyweight - David Price; light heavyweight - Tony Jeffries; middleweight - James DeGale. All in their respective quarter finals.

Swimming: men's 10k open water. David Davies going in the event's Olympics debut. Held in the rowing lake. 2am Thursday 21st.

Hope that's all clear :)

Of course they're by no means all gonna win or even be in contention - they range from practically nailed on certainties to hopeful outside bets. But there's loads of chances in there :)

Another factor is for the first time in my lifetime a GB team has reached a critical mass of success - the point the Aussies understand well, where success really does feed off success. They really, honestly believe now.

Another factor is for the first time in my lifetime a GB team has reached a critical mass of success - the point the Aussies understand well, where success really does feed off success. They really, honestly believe now.

Especially true in the velodrome, they don't look like it's even occurred to them they may not win

Well, that and the times they were supposedly posting in the pre-Olympics training.

We could win nine track golds :eek: The entire GB team only won that many in Athens and that was considered a good year!

Phillips Idowu should win , but i don't want to jinx him, i think Christine Ohuruogu will get the silver tbh, and i think rutherford might get a bronze in the long jump, and we might possibly get a medal in the high jump (3 brits in the final) i don't think we've got a chance in any relay apart from then women's 4x400, not sure where any other track medals are coming from, maybe 1500 mens, but that's a long shot

Anyway, off to bed. Anyone stays up for the triathlon, give Helen Tucker a cheer from me :)

Comment has been made about traditionally strong nations falling away in the medal table. I was talking to my father about this last night. There is obviously the fact that every Olympics there are more nations competing, which does weaken the existing nations, I'm thinking Russia of 20yrs ago is now split into god knows how many teams. Certain teams become stronger, evidence Team GB-a moniker I personally approve of as it gives every competitor the idea that its the whole country rather than just them out there, and seems to have made an improvement in team morale.But is it possible, and I would love to think it is, that maybe just maybe, testing has become as good as the doping these days and certain competeitors have chosen to stay away. There is obvioulsy evidence especially of Russian and Greek athletes doing this, there may be many more we haven't heard about.

Suppose there's always the possibility that with procedures now some cheats may still be cheating but not quite taking the piss as much as they did before

Three golds for Australia this morning :eek: Come on GB get back past them again!

Tim Brabants qualified for the 1000m flatwater canoe final this morning. His 500m heat is tomorrow

Suppose there's always the possibility that with procedures now some cheats may still be cheating but not quite taking the piss as much as they did before

Three golds for Australia this morning :eek: Come on GB get back past them again!

We're ahead again now after men's team pursuit :cool:

He's the NY Times table

United States 19 21 25 65
China 35 13 13 61
Australia 11 10 12 33
Russia 7 12 12 31
Britain 11 7 8 26
France 4 9 13 26
Germany 9 6 7 22
South Korea 8 9 5 22
Japan 8 5 7 20
Italy 6 6 6 18

They just add up the total medals, regardless of colour so they're top :D

He's the NY Times table

United States 19 21 25 65
China 35 13 13 61
Australia 11 10 12 33
Russia 7 12 12 31
Britain 11 7 8 26
France 4 9 13 26
Germany 9 6 7 22
South Korea 8 9 5 22
Japan 8 5 7 20
Italy 6 6 6 18

They just add up the total medals, regardless of colour so they're top :D
if you took away phelps' medels then UK would have as many golds as US!

When China overtake them in the total medals stakes they'll probably start calculating it on who's won most bronze medals or something

Back
Top Bottom