Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

That medal table's looking good

could this potentially be USA's worst performance in a long time? they've only got 18 golds so far and although i might be mistaken, i can't see them winning a whole load more to take them up to 36

could this potentially be USA's worst performance in a long time? they've only got 18 golds so far and although i might be mistaken, i can't see them winning a whole load more to take them up to 36

And 8 of those was from one guy, so the rest of the team only has 10.

I'm sure a new ideological battle against a great enemy (China) will get them moving again. As things stand, they can't be arsed with many of the Olympic sports and don't find it as easy to cheat at the ones they used to dominate.

Christ I forgot how badly we got owned in 1996 :eek:

tbf we won 11 silvers - I remember well how we kept coming second all the bloody time until Redgrave & Pinsent picked up the lone gold.

It was rubbish though

Loads of analysis to be done on those tables - the fall of the Eastern Bloc/Cuba, rise of China and Australia, what the hell has happened to Russia over the past four years etc etc

Finishing below NZ, Ireland & Belgium in 1996 though. Bloody hell.

wasn't 96 when that irish swimmer won 3 golds, and has since had all sorts of drug shenanigans?

Anyway, we've topped the Athens gold tally already and need just seven more medals to equal the overall total from four years ago. Five more means we're going better than Sydney.

With medals to come in cycling & (fingers crossed) canoeing, taekwondo, modern pentathlon, sailing and boxing we should manage that.

I'm sure summat will turn up in the athletics :(

potential gold in the triple jump, we might jam a medal in the 4x400m relay if we perform well and other teams drop the baton :D

we could get 2 medals in the triple jump, possibly one in the long jump, maybe 1500m, and possibly one of the relays, can't see any others coming tbh

Haven't we still got a men's eight in the running? Or have they lost already?

e2a: we got the silver, Canada got the gold.

Here's the table from the 1920 Antwerp Games - Britain's best performance since WWI (prior to that the host nation cleaned up practically all the medals by and large, probably cos it was harder for other nations to send large teams).

1 United States (USA) 41 27 27 95
2 Sweden (SWE) 19 20 25 64
3 Great Britain (GBR) 15 15 13 43
4 Finland (FIN) 15 10 9 34
5 Belgium (BEL) 14 11 11 36
6 Norway (NOR) 13 9 9 31
7 Italy (ITA) 13 5 5 23
8 France (FRA) 9 19 13 41
9 Netherlands (NED) 4 2 5 11
10 Denmark (DEN) 3 9 1 13

We may end up not a million miles off that...

Here's the table from the 1920 Antwerp Games - Britain's best performance since WWI (prior to that the host nation cleaned up practically all the medals by and large, probably cos it was harder for other nations to send large teams).

1 United States (USA) 41 27 27 95
2 Sweden (SWE) 19 20 25 64
3 Great Britain (GBR) 15 15 13 43
4 Finland (FIN) 15 10 9 34
5 Belgium (BEL) 14 11 11 36
6 Norway (NOR) 13 9 9 31
7 Italy (ITA) 13 5 5 23
8 France (FRA) 9 19 13 41
9 Netherlands (NED) 4 2 5 11
10 Denmark (DEN) 3 9 1 13

We may end up not a million miles off that...
Europe and the USA.

Love the idea of Finland getting 15 Golds :D

Blimey. The Scandanivans and the Low Countries used to be a pretty strong force way back when.

well in fairness hardly anyone else bothered with competitive international sports then. even Germany couldn't really be arsed for another dozen years or so

I see ESPN's table is organised by total medals, not number of Golds first (as the BBC do). I don't know whether to wave my cock at passing Australians or not . . . . ESPN Table.

Almost worth a thread in itself . . . :hmm:

I see ESPN's table is organised by total medals, not number of Golds first (as the BBC do). I don't know whether to wave my cock at passing Australians or not . . . . ESPN Table.

Almost worth a thread in itself . . . :hmm:

If China draw ahead on total medals then they'll only do it to take account of some arbitrary 'evilness' quotient.

It's about winning when it comes to medals so golds count most

I'm tempted to award 4 points for a Gold, 2 for Silver and 1 for Bronze.

Or better still, forget the Olympic designations and do what Formula One do:

1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 8 points
3rd place: 6 points
4th place: 5 points
5th place: 4 points
6th place: 3 points
7th place: 2 points
8th place: 1 point

Back
Top Bottom