Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

That medal table's looking good

Chris Hoy said they (as in international cycling) had to junk some of the cycling (mostly the women's events :mad:) to make space for BMX. No problem here with including BMX, but it seems crazy that there were (men and women) cyclists unable to defend their golds just because a couple of extra events were being held at an entirely different venue.

Is there a finite number of events then?

Is there a finite number of events then?
Prezactly! What did the pool swimmers have to give up from their 36 medals to let the open-water events in? Fuck all AFAIK - but some of them have a new event to try for. Yet cycling get reduced to 10 to allow BMX in? :mad:

There are cyclists who only have one event left, and others who gave up BMX to pursue a medal who now find that their event has been cancelled for BMX. Meanwhile in the pool ... no difference, except that the long distance pool swimmers have found an extra event for week 2.

Prezactly! What did the pool swimmers have to give up from their 36 medals to let the open-water events in? Fuck all AFAIK - but some of them have a new event to try for. Yet cycling get reduced to 10 to allow BMX in? :mad:

There are cyclists who only have one event left, and others who gave up BMX to pursue a medal who now find that their event has been cancelled for BMX. Meanwhile in the pool ... no difference, except that the long distance pool swimmers have found an extra event for week 2.

That's a bit unfair. Presumably some other event unrelated to swimming had to make way for the open water swim marathons? Don't see why they can't just add more events, especially if they are held at different venues. Or am i just being greedy? :D

That's a bit unfair. Presumably some other event unrelated to swimming had to make way for the open water swim marathons? Don't see why they can't just add more events, especially if they are held at different venues. Or am i just being greedy? :D
I have no idea what the system is, but it seems to depend on the international sports federations involved. Maybe it's because cycling took up the cause of BMX instead of making them go it alone as a separate sport? I honestly don't know - but the cyclists had to agree which events they'd give up to let the new ones in, whilst the swimmers did not.

I'm bitching about the IOC, not the swimmers - in case it isn't obvious. :D

I have no idea what the system is, but it seems to depend on the international sports federations involved. Maybe it's because cycling took up the cause of BMX instead of making them go it alone as a separate sport? I honestly don't know - but the cyclists had to agree which events they'd give up to let the new ones in, whilst the swimmers did not.

I'm bitching about the IOC, not the swimmers - in case it isn't obvious. :D

:D Will be interesting to see what gets included in 2012, seeing how strong GB have been in cycling, might get some events reinstated? Interesting!

Talk about getting used to winning!

We have won one gold medal in the last 48 hours and our six-gold advantage has almost disappeared entirely
BBC's Matt Slater

:rolleyes:

Matt Slater has made a contribution to the medal table of precisely zero!

I very much doubt that's a genuine complaint. It's amusing to be able to make a mock complaint about a lack of medals when so many have already been won.

We need some sort of table of tables to show the true position :hmm:

47 medals in total now! And 19 of them gold!

What was the target? Can't remember exactly, but i'm sure it was far less than that! 19G - 13S - 15B. That's not a bad little haul tbf :D

UK Sport set a target of 41 medals 12-13 golds I think

Yep

Sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe has told the BBC "it is vital" that Team GB reaches the target of 41 medals from the Beijing Olympics.

"That is a serious target," said Sutcliffe. "We want it to be achieved."
But BBC Sport research and statistics from the former head of the Italian Olympic Committee, Luciano Barra, suggest GB should exceed that goal.
UK Sport has demanded 10 to 12 gold medals, but Barra projects a British haul extending to 18 golds.

The minimum UK Sport expects the British team to achieve in Beijing is 35 medals, with 41 their stated ideal ambition.

Barra's predictions for Beijing :eek:

_44892073_medal_projections_2_226.gif

I did post about Barra's predictions before the Games began but it didn't get much response. Hardly dared hope he was right but he looks pretty much spot on to be fair to him

I did post about Barra's predictions before the Games began but it didn't get much response. Hardly dared hope he was right but he looks pretty much spot on to be fair to him

Just googled Barra and got some island as a result. Who is he? Impressive predictions tbf from what Minnie and you say!

He's a former head of the Italian Olympic Committee. Basically before each Games he looks at current form, performances in recent world championships etc etc and then predicts the medals count for each nation. As stated, he's scarily good at it.

He's a former head of the Italian Olympic Committee. Basically before each Games he looks at current form, performances in recent world championships etc etc and then predicts the medals count for each nation. As stated, he's scarily good at it.

Ta! Spot on near enough, or does this mean we might medal in the mens marathon? :D

try narrowing your search down :D:D

I am rubbish at searching :oops:

Back
Top Bottom