Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL bringing 20mph limit to many major London roads

The problem with blanket limits is that some roads warrant the 20mph (even less in some cases) but many don't. In the case of the latter everyone just ignores them, as you can see from this thread. There's very little enforcement other than as you say, where there were previously 30mph cameras which have been recalibrated but once you know where they are you can safely drive normally between them. Most councils haven't increased their camera use since the massive cull of them around 2010, "the great switch-off" when about 30% of Britain's speed cameras were removed. Even now you can see evidence of that where there are hundreds of roads with speed graduations painted on them but no cameras to go with them.
I think the film is hard to get or too expensive for the old 90's cameras.

There are a lot of unused camaras like that in cov although they are starting to bring in digital average speed cameras on some roads now. Don't think any are 20mph though.

I think the film is hard to get or too expensive for the old 90's cameras.

There are a lot of unused camaras like that in cov although they are starting to bring in digital average speed cameras on some roads now. Don't think any are 20mph though.

Yes, Gatso used film rather than digital so many councils didn't renew their maintenence contracts after they expired. About 50% of the cameras nationwide are actually active, although it's a much higher percentage in London, but some councils have no active cameras at all.

Last edited:
Cameras need to be hidden and mobile and authorities need to stop warning motorists where there will be speed checks. Having them in plain sight undermines any chance of proper enforcement

I'm sure the technology must exist now to reduce car speeds.. even with a margin of error. If they can cut e-scooter speeds in controlled zones - surely they can do this with cars.

I'm sure the technology must exist now to reduce car speeds.. even with a margin of error. If they can cut e-scooter speeds in controlled zones - surely they can do this with cars.
The car I drive for work has a speed limiter which can be set and it tells you the speed limit on the dashboard, therefore, yes, the car industry can very much do this. The problem isn't technical, it's political. Can you imaginable the levels of outrage among the Daily Mail types if this happened?

The car I drive for work has a speed limiter which can be set and it tells you the speed limit on the dashboard, therefore, yes, the car industry can very much do this. The problem isn't technical, it's political. Can you imaginable the levels of outrage among the Daily Mail types if this happened?
Does it work well? I had that in a hire car in the States and it was terrible, often picked up signs for parallell roads etc. The GPS database ones work well enough in some areas but in rural ones just have massive data gaps. Now this isn't a problem that can't be solved but it doesn't feel like we are there for prime time yet.

Reactions: Chz

It is happenning....

GPS is not consistently accurate enough. It's ok for e-scooters because 10mph speed difference isn't that great and it won't really matter if gps is a little out and limits someone to 5mph instead of 15mph.
but what happens when a car thinks it's in a pedestrianised area instead of the 20mph road next to it? or the 30mph slip road that runs over the M6 junction 6 with the A38m? Or one of the many roads that run next to motorways that have a variety of speed limits and suddenly someone's car brakes from 70mph to 30mph because the GPS is off?

that's why e-scooters are only extra limited in parks and not on pavements, you just can manage that accuracy everywhere consistently.

It is happenning....

"The speed limiter will send haptic, audio and visual warnings until you start driving within the speed limits."

It's not a hard limiter, just a warning system.

"The speed limiter will send haptic, audio and visual warnings until you start driving within the speed limits."

It's not a hard limiter, just a warning system.
True although i suspect if a car suddenly auto braked when entering a new limit it would cause a lot of rear end crashes.

I don't think they are applying this to existing cars only new ones.

True although i suspect if a car suddenly auto braked when entering a new limit it would cause a lot of rear end crashes.

I don't think they are applying this to existing cars only new ones.

As Tom says, they don't control the speed of the vehicle, they just tell the driver he's speeding by buzzing the wheel, beeping and flashing.

And you can turn it off.

Right!

A few years ago, I had a hire car in Germany that I thought was fucked because the steering kept going weird on autobahns.

I stopped and called the hire firm. It turned out that it had an early version of lane-assist and was trying to drag me back into lane when I was overtaking. It took one handbook and two minutes to turn it off.

Right!

A few years ago, I had a hire car in Germany that I thought was fucked because the steering kept going weird on autobahns.

I stopped and called the hire firm. It turned out that it had an early version of lane-assist and was trying to drag me back into lane when I was overtaking. It took one handbook and two minutes to turn it off.

Much easier to turn that off than to indicate!

Does it work well? I had that in a hire car in the States and it was terrible, often picked up signs for parallell roads etc. The GPS database ones work well enough in some areas but in rural ones just have massive data gaps. Now this isn't a problem that can't be solved but it doesn't feel like we are there for prime time yet.
But it could be done in built up areas then - at least that should work. I've only noticed one slight glitch - and i drive around Kent - and that was when the car picked up the speed limit from the exit ramp for the Chunnel, which was 30, and the road i was on was 40. And it happened once, never again subsequently, for about 2 minutes.

But the UK is a vastly smaller area than the US. So not a good comparison I would imagine.

I find it really odd that you guys do your speed in mph.
I thought it was only Americans that did the mph thing.
Live and learn, I guess.

It is annoying that I now have to translate your mph into km/h.

It's amazing how effective average speed cameras that actually catch people are. The main road out of Torquay is 50mph with average speed cameras and everyone, even yobbos and angry middle aged audi cunts, drives at 49mph.

Considering they can set these systems up pretty fast for roadworks etc, it wouldn't be too hard to just do pop up average speed zones in random places for fun. The court cases would be great. Every dickhead who got caught would be wailing that it was unfair because they didn't know there were cameras. Um, but you knew there was a speed limit, sit the fuck down.

Spymaster may not remember but he tried to wind me up a while back, and it went on so long I decided to put him, on ignore.

I've no recollection of that at all, Jenna, but it does sound a bit like me.

Let's have a restart?

I can't guarantee that I won't piss you off again, mind ;)

Back
Top Bottom