Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL bringing 20mph limit to many major London roads

Crispy

The following psytrance is baแน‰ned: All
Much of the TfL road network has already been made 20, including everything inside the congestion charge zone in 2020. Lots more coming this year including (of interest to citizens of this parish) the A23 as far south as Norbury, the A24 all the way to Colliers Wood, all of Old Kent Road and Peckham Road and Lewisham Way, oh and the South Circular between Clapham and Lewisham. A bunch in North London too, if that's of interest to you. It's a lot of big roads getting slowed down :thumbs:

Assuming it's enforced....

Details here: Lowering Speed Limits

I blended the North and South London overview maps. North London stuff already being implemented, South London bits still in consultation, but it'll happen.
1679428891148.png

I would like to see some more enforcement of this. Apparently some drivers who drive at 20mph are being beeped at by the cars behind.

I would like to see some more enforcement of this. Apparently some drivers who drive at 20mph are being beeped at by the cars behind.
That just makes me want to do it more.

I was once repeatedly beeped at from behind by a driver who wanted to pass me going 35 along a main road in Streatham with a speed limit of 30 and i was only going 35 because he was intimidating me into going faster - after he passed me, dangerously, I was treated to a display of obscene gestures. These days I don't take shit from any other motorists, as I know what the rules are and i actually follow them.

That just makes me want to do it more.

I was once repeatedly beeped at from behind by a driver who wanted to pass me going 35 along a main road in Streatham with a speed limit of 30 and i was only going 35 because he was intimidating me into going faster - after he passed me, dangerously, I was treated to a display of obscene gestures. These days I don't take shit from any other motorists, as I know what the rules are and i actually follow them.
When York Way went 20mph a few years back I was repeatedly beeped and overtaken sticking to 20 - once by a London bus.

hmm thought these part of london were 20 mph anyways

not so much fun if you live on the resulting rat runs

would have to be area wide to have effect

hmm thought these part of london were 20 mph anyways

not so much fun if you live on the resulting rat runs

would have to be area wide to have effect
On that map it looks like fastest route up to elephant would be walworth road. :D :D

IME in the zones it's in, it does make some difference, especially at night. You get the occasional arsehole roaring through like they're on a race track, but no speed limit is likely to stop them - they already know they're driving too fast and too dangerously for the conditions. If most of the road traffic isn't like them, it still helps.

Plus it'll probably be more effective to not have as many speed limit changes and basically know that you have to stay 20mph.

20mph too fast

You prefer everyone staying exactly where they are?

They enforce it on rare occasion, but TfL's belief is that it's mainly self-enforcing - so long as 1 in 15 or so drivers drive at 20 it forces the other 14 to do so as well. Twats who pull out into oncoming traffic to get around it will eventually get nicked just for being twats is the belief.

They enforce it on rare occasion, but TfL's belief is that it's mainly self-enforcing - so long as 1 in 15 or so drivers drive at 20 it forces the other 14 to do so as well. Twats who pull out into oncoming traffic to get around it will eventually get nicked just for being twats is the belief.
Is this belief written into stated policy somewhere?

Is this belief written into stated policy somewhere?
I did ask about enforcement cameras on their contact page and got something back about how it will be "self-regulating". I did extend the policy to twats all on my own though. :p I'll see if I can find it.

I did ask about enforcement cameras on their contact page and got something back about how it will be "self-regulating". I did extend the policy to twats all on my own though. :p I'll see if I can find it.
As I said, I had 2 speeding fines and points in the first few months of the 20mph zones -one of them allowed me to opt for a speed awareness course - so I'm assuming a lot of others also had speeding fines ,etc on the same stretch of road - and since then it does appear to self-regulate, traffic is a lot slower .

As I said, I had 2 speeding fines and points in the first few months of the 20mph zones -one of them allowed me to opt for a speed awareness course - so I'm assuming a lot of others also had speeding fines ,etc on the same stretch of road - and since then it does appear to self-regulate, traffic is a lot slower .
From what I've gathered, there isn't much (or at all?) of a budget for new cameras. But if the road in question already had 30mph speed cameras, you can bet they'll use them. The road in particular I was asking about actually has no cameras in the 20 area, but there are a couple once it goes to 30! :D

From what I've gathered, there isn't much (or at all?) of a budget for new cameras. But if the road in question already had 30mph speed cameras, you can bet they'll use them. The road in particular I was asking about actually has no cameras in the 20 area, but there are a couple once it goes to 30! :D

The problem with blanket limits is that some roads warrant the 20mph (even less in some cases) but many don't. In the case of the latter everyone just ignores them, as you can see from this thread. There's very little enforcement other than as you say, where there were previously 30mph cameras which have been recalibrated but once you know where they are you can safely drive faster between them. Most councils haven't increased their camera use since the massive cull of them around 2010, "the great switch-off" when about 30% of Britain's speed cameras were removed. Even now you can see evidence of that where there are hundreds of roads with speed graduations painted on them but no cameras to go with them.

Last edited:
They've changed the speed limit on Seven Sisters Road from 30 to 20 recently. and there were already speed cameras there.

I don't know for sure, but i would imagine they'll be re-set to reflect the new limit.

ETA point already made

You can only choose the speed awareness course option if you have not been caught speeding in last 3 years. I had to do one in 2021. Otherwise its the fixed penalty and points or the court options left.

Back
Top Bottom