Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attacks and beheadings in France

Side issue littlebabyjesus but I think you're being unfair on PE. I'm not a massive fan but they've been brilliant on Covid and holding the government to account from the little I've seen and what people tell me. Political definitely.

Side issue littlebabyjesus but I think you're being unfair on PE. I'm not a massive fan but they've been brilliant on Covid and holding the government to account from the little I've seen and what people tell me. Political definitely.
Fair dos. Can't say I've followed it. They certainly have their moments, but they have their reactionary moments as well.

According to this tweet:

“This is the cartoon. The Prophet says “How difficult it is to be loved by idiots” (extremists). The teacher didn’t just show the cartoon, he held a lecture on secularism and the right to believe/not to believe in France.”

View attachment 234719

So he chose a far less extreme example than he could have done. In fact, he no doubt chose this one purposely because it is less extreme and potentially offensive than some of the others. Aside from the fact that it depicts Muhammad (something that various traditions of Islam have done over the centuries), it isn't actually offensive to Islam at all.

This teacher did absolutely nothing wrong.

As said already but where I am on this.

It's not hard to imagine a sensitively approached lesson regarding freedom of speech, religious freedom etc, and discussion around these cartoons. And with that, and it's not a word I use but for brevity, offering a trigger warning to pupils who may be offended and saying they can step outside ffor the duration if they wish. Reiterating that these images are being presented, not to agrovate but as pertinent to the discussion. TBH you could also just talk about them with out showing them anyway.

Nothing wrong with that.

You could also imagine it done in an insensitive manner, with an eyre of cultural superiority. We should be able to mock anything, via la republic, liberty of expression etc.

Which is more likely to offend or inflame. And you have to accept that is the case. Most muslims who would be upset by this are not fenatics or savages of course.

Those who actually murder in the name of religion, sighting this upset as the motivating factor though, are. At least the murderer was swiftly dealt with.

One other thing to consider must be what was this cunt doing in school with the means to behead someone? I am no psychologist but I would imagine that he must have been pretty fucking wound up generally to go and do this, not some angelic student who was a devout Muslim who just had defend Mo’s honour.

One other thing to consider must be what was this cunt doing in school with the means to behead someone? I am no psychologist but I would imagine that he must have been pretty fucking wound up generally to go and do this, not some angelic student who was a devout Muslim who just had defend Mo’s honour.

Happened outside school as the teacher was walking home. Ironically on a route he believed to be safer as he'd received threats.

It didn't happen in the school. It seems he got ambushed on the street.
Happened outside school as the teacher was walking home. Ironically on a route he believed to be safer as he'd received threats.

Yeah but was straight after school, no? Like was did the scumbag go to school in the morning, just another day and happen to get so enraged at the cartoon that he left, picked up a knife and exacted revenge on behalf of the prophet, or was he in a murderous mood anyway and the lesson was the excuse he needed? Had the Columbine cunts done it after, say a lesson that taught that the USA is not the greatest country on earth, could the narrative been different?

Yeah but was straight after school, no? Like was did the scumbag go to school in the morning, just another day and happen to get so enraged at the cartoon that he left, picked up a knife and exacted revenge on behalf of the prophet, or was he in a murderous mood anyway and the lesson was the excuse he needed? Had the Columbine cunts done it after, say a lesson that taught that the USA is not the greatest country on earth, could the narrative been different?
There's no suggestion, so far, that the scumbag was a student. Apparently teacher dude had been getting death threats for some time after the lesson so it seems he had been marked-out for a head chop for a while. That looks to be bourne out by the fact that they've arrested nine people for this so far, so it looks like a plot.

Attacker had no connection with the school. Had to ask pupils to identify the victim for him.

There's no suggestion, so far, that the scumbag was a student. Apparently teacher dude had been getting death threats for some time after the lesson so it seems he had been marked-out for a head chop for a while. That looks to be bourne out by the fact that they've arrested nine people for this so far so it looks like a plot.
Attacker had no connection with the school. Had to ask pupils to identify the victim for him.

How did he know the teacher was dissing the Mo?

Where do we draw the line? If flat earthers decide to get offended by globes in schools, do we remove all globes from schools, lest someone gets beheaded by a radical flat earther?

According to liberal wank on Radio4, yes, probably. A presenter on there has just seriously suggested that cartoons do indeed kill people.

Better hide the globes.

Well it didn't all happen on the same day. For some time prior to the chop, Muslim parents had been calling for the teachers sacking.
Another parallel with the Brum sex ed dispute. It's not offence-taking or complaints about the teaching of actual students themselves that comes to wider attention, but that of (some of) their parents. I'm going to take a guess at the invovlement of outside agitators and shitstirrers as in Brum.

What is the solution to the dispute in Birmingham? Does the class get changed to satisfy these parents? Are they allowed to opt out their children from the class? Are the classes continued with no choice of opt-out? Those would appear on the face of it to be the possible things that could happen. The same issues arise.

My point was that we have to be mindful of context when we suggest people step outside of a group. But it wasn't a comment on the right and wrongs of what happened in this man's class, it was an observation of the multiple layers in social dynamics that doesn't have any immediate bearing on his murder, which is really tragic.

That would be muslims being offended by cartoons.

Then it's not the cartoons doing the beheading and shooting at police is it?

And you mean 'some muslims'.

The context of the debate was should we bow down to fanaticism. The presenter was suggesting this (showing the cartoons) is something peculiar to France and that others (such as us) may be more wise in not doing what France does.

Back
Top Bottom