Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attacks and beheadings in France

You didn't say that, you said 'personally affect'.
It's what I meant by 'personally affect'.
And anyway recently some of the parents against sex education classes said they were being discriminated against on religious grounds by these classes being taught. Being shown cartoons isn't 'unsafe' is it, especially when you're given a warning to leave the room if you want?
But ultimately, if this kind of discussion is shut down in French schools now, it will be because this dude was murdered.

There's clearly a debate to be had about how these ideas should be approached in schools, but any debate about whether they should be approached will only happen cos of the violence. It will mean the violence has worked.
I can't answer these points properly without falling foul of the point mauvais brought up. It would kind of veer too close to victim-blaming, as I'm coming at this from a (one) teacher's point of view, and it being our job to create a safe and inclusive environment for all of our learners.

Anyway. I'm out.

Ok - almost out :hmm:
That's an incredibly high bar that would make teaching of many topics difficult and/or pretty useless. (And that's before we get onto who gets to define controversial stuff).
It is a high bar, but no it doesn't make teaching useless. Difficult sometimes, yes. But that's the job.

(I've just finished my PGCE, so I'm, er... full of it :thumbs:)

It's what I meant by 'personally affect'.

I can't answer these points properly without falling foul of the point mauvais brought up. It would kind of veer too close to victim-blaming, as I'm coming at this from a (one) teacher's point of view, and it being our job to create a safe and inclusive environment for all of our learners.

Anyway. I'm out.
I know you're out but I don't think you've really addressed the point. Sometimes these positions are in conflict. The obvious example is a gay student and a student who believes through their religion that gay people go to hell. Sometimes you have to make choices about whom to offend or let down, because not offending or letting down anyone isn't an option.

Ok - almost out :hmm:
It is a high bar, but no it doesn't make teaching useless. Difficult sometimes, yes. But that's the job.

(I've just finished my PGCE, so I'm, er... full of it :thumbs:)
If you apply that bar to it's limit it would make teaching some subjects so empty as to be useless.

History and art history have already been mentioned as good examples but you could even extend it to biology - some find the theory of evolution by natural selection offensive/controversial but I think teaching life sciences without making student deal with it would be useless.

There's an interesting, and potentially productive, echo of the Right's renewed focus on free spreech in its "defence of western values" going on here.

I think there's an issue of exclusion here that mirrors the way in which muslim people are excluded from white France, that makes it different from offering the possibility to leave the class if you don't want to see a dissection.
You could make the same point about the parents protesting outside the Birmingham school. Also have to be careful here about who you are taking to be representatitves of such groups - how many of the Muslim kids chose to leave, for instance? Sections that shout loudest aren't always the most representative.

it being our job to create a safe and inclusive environment for all of our learners.
Funny, I don't recall that when I was at school. My views, opinions, lifestyle, prejudices, likes, dislikes, cultural sensitivities never taken into account, save that in a discussion I had the right to say what I wanted, make my feelings known.

I know you're out but I don't think you've really addressed the point. Sometimes these positions are in conflict. The obvious example is a gay student and a student who believes through their religion that gay people go to hell. Sometimes you have to make choices about whom to offend or let down, because not offending or letting down anyone isn't an option.
Not true.

If you apply that bar to it's limit it would make teaching some subjects so empty as to be useless.

History and art history have already been mentioned as good examples but you could even extend it to biology - some find the theory of evolution by natural selection offensive/controversial but I think teaching life sciences without making student deal with it would be useless.
I hope you're not a teacher :p

I think there's an issue of exclusion here that mirrors the way in which muslim people are excluded from white France, that makes it different from offering the possibility to leave the class if you don't want to see a dissection.
This violent intolerance of dissent, apostasy, blasphemy extends way beyond France. Muslim majority countries have more than their fair share of people prepared to stamp out such viewpoints.
By the by, I have the same disregard for all the other major manifestations of religious truth, not just Islam.

Let's have a class about freedom of expression and censorship. I'm going to illustrate this by censoring some of the content.
I don't know whether the the lesson was actually meant to be on "censorship", but if it was, he picked a very messy and many-faceted topic. In fact, I'd say that for a teacher to attempt to delimit it as being about a single thing would be a much more problematic example of censorship than not choosing to show some cartoons.

I don't know whether the the lesson was actually meant to be on "censorship", but if it was, he picked a very messy and many-faceted topic. In fact, I'd say that for a teacher to attempt to delimit it as being about a single thing would be a much more problematic example of censorship than not choosing to show some cartoons.

He picked a contemporary topic, with 14 on trial currently for Charlie Hebdo. Again, contemporary is encouraged in education. We don't know how wide he threw the net. I suspect the class wasn't only on CH.

Censorship may well have been my word. The class was certainly, reportedly, on freedom of expression. Which can't be divorced from censorship.

How many here have actually read Charlie Hebdo? I have, and what it reminded me most of all was those student Rag Mags you used to get - that level of humor. "Private Eye for idiots" might be another way of putting it. Which is why it shouldn't be difficult at all to defend them from "assassination as the highest form of censorship". The liberal hand wringing after the massacre at the CH office was a desperate and desperately silly own-goal. . . there was no need to equivocate or do anything of that sort.

As for censorship as a solution to the marginalization of this or that ethnoreligious minority. . . older people on here (which is all of us) will remember Ian Paisley. The key thing to remember in his case is that even though he whipped up an atmosphere of fear and hatred, he never actually said "go out and kill your neighbour". He went right up to the line, but he never went over it. And any censorship or hate speech laws would have had no effect whatsoever on him.

You could make the same point about the parents protesting outside the Birmingham school. Also have to be careful here about who you are taking to be representatitves of such groups - how many of the Muslim kids chose to leave, for instance? Sections that shout loudest aren't always the most representative.

What point that I made applies to the parents in Birmingham?

How many here have actually read Charlie Hebdo? I have, and what it reminded me most of all was those student Rag Mags you used to get - that level of humor. "Private Eye for idiots" might be another way of putting it. Which is why it shouldn't be difficult at all to defend them from "assassination as the highest form of censorship". The liberal hand wringing after the massacre at the CH office was a desperate and desperately silly own-goal. . . there was no need to equivocate or do anything of that sort.
I have. I had a look through its history quite extensively after the first attacks. I don't agree about your characterisation of it. Unlike Private Eye, CH is politically engaged and committed. If anything, PE is CH for idiots.

What point that I made applies to the parents in Birmingham?
What is the solution to the dispute in Birmingham? Does the class get changed to satisfy these parents? Are they allowed to opt out their children from the class? Are the classes continued with no choice of opt-out? Those would appear on the face of it to be the possible things that could happen. The same issues arise.

I have. I had a look through its history quite extensively after the first attacks. I don't agree about your characterisation of it. Unlike Private Eye, CH is politically engaged and committed. If anything, PE is CH for idiots.
The level of humor is pretty puerile, though, come on.

And I've just seen a Russia Today post claiming that the perpetrator in this case was a "Moscow-born Chechen".

The level of humor is pretty puerile, though, come on.

And I've just seen a Russia Today post claiming that the perpetrator in this case was a "Moscow-born Chechen".
Oh it's extremely puerile, but with a point to make that goes way beyond anything I've ever seen Private Eye do. And its anti-Islam stuff has to be seen in the context of its history of anticlericism in general. As I said on previous threads, I would think they would consider it intellectually dishonest to attack Christianity in the way they do and give Islam a free pass. Probably their greatest ire is reserved for the Front Nationale, of course, who detest (and are detested by) CH, something that is often forgotten in these debates.

Oh it's extremely puerile, but with a point to make that goes way beyond anything I've ever seen Private Eye do. And its anti-Islam stuff has to be seen in the context of its history of anticlericism in general. As I said on previous threads, I would think they would consider it intellectually dishonest to attack Christianity in the way they do and give Islam a free pass.
We may differ here, but I don't think our points are that different. The liberal handwringing was born out of a fear founded on bad information - the fear of "oh, if I condemn this attack, am I giving ammo to the bigots on my side" (if bigots hate Islam (with results like in Christchurch last year), the answer isn't to say "Islam is the best thing since sliced bread" - because you're actually letting the bigots control your politics in that case).

We may differ here, but I don't think our points are that different. The liberal handwringing was born out of a fear founded on bad information - the fear of "oh, if I condemn this attack, am I giving ammo to the bigots on my side" (if bigots hate Islam (with results like in Christchurch last year), the answer isn't to say "Islam is the best thing since sliced bread" - because you're actually letting the bigots control your politics in that case).
Fair enough. Yes, our points are similar in that sense. I also think I'm in a minority on here in that I mostly really like CH's puerile humour. (It sometimes hits bum notes, but so does Viz on occasion, and I still like Viz.)

And sometimes you can make your strongest points when you're being at your most puerile. Father Ted does that. Its deepest digs at the church are often on the surface its most puerile moments.

Back
Top Bottom