Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

I'm still pretending it's not there for now. Done most of it to work out the last grant but well aware with no deductions to speak of I'm going to end up with a big bill 😐

For anyone struggling to sort their Tax Return by 31st January HMRC have waived the late filing penalty and late payment penalty for one month. So you now have until 28th February to file and pay.

Thank you, that is really helpful to know. I filed in October but know that I will be a little short for making the full payment by 31.1.

Why I didn't do mine back in April (given that I had no income for the year in question so it was dead simple) is beyond me, but I did it this morning and the fact it isn't gone 10pm on the last day is something of a feat. I've also paid a bill, done laundry, and cleaned the bathroom basin and the kitchen sink. I should probably try to do some more cleaning this afternoon since I am clearly having a good day for Getting Stuff Done.

Why I didn't do mine back in April (given that I had no income for the year in question so it was dead simple) is beyond me, but I did it this morning and the fact it isn't gone 10pm on the last day is something of a feat. I've also paid a bill, done laundry, and cleaned the bathroom basin and the kitchen sink. I should probably try to do some more cleaning this afternoon since I am clearly having a good day for Getting Stuff Done.
Nah, you’ve done enough for this year. ;)

Gahhhhh! Payment on account is a pain in the arse!!

not only do i pay my tax but for 21-22 too? its almost the same amount again :(

eta: i managed to reduce it! phew....

Last edited:
Hello.
Just submitted my return. Seems (due to sod all work last period) my tax plus first payment on account is less that the two payments on account I made last year.
Does that mean I just . . . pay nothing? I just wait for my refund and make my second payment on account in July?

Hello.
Just submitted my return. Seems (due to sod all work last period) my tax plus first payment on account is less that the two payments on account I made last year.
Does that mean I just . . . pay nothing? I just wait for my refund and make my second payment on account in July?
Did you tick a box to ask for any overpayment to be repaid to you? If you did, then you just wait for the money to arrive. You'll then just pay the second payment on account in July as normal.

If you didn't tick a box to ask for a repayment now then it's going to be carried forward and will offset the second payment on account in July.

If you didn't tick a box now, you can always log into your tax account at a later date and request the repayment then. Of course, if they pay repay you then, you'll need to pay the second PoA as normal.

Did you tick a box to ask for any overpayment to be repaid to you? If you did, then you just wait for the money to arrive. You'll then just pay the second payment on account in July as normal.

If you didn't tick a box to ask for a repayment now then it's going to be carried forward and will offset the second payment on account in July.

If you didn't tick a box now, you can always log into your tax account at a later date and request the repayment then. Of course, if they pay repay you then, you'll need to pay the second PoA as normal.
I honestly can't remember if I clicked for a repayment to be repaid to me. I know I have done it before, and it asked for my bank details . . . I know that didn't happen this time.
But just to clarify. . . I don't do anything now right? I don't have to tell them that I'm not paying anything?

I honestly can't remember if I clicked for a repayment to be repaid to me. I know I have done it before, and it asked for my bank details . . . I know that didn't happen this time.
But just to clarify. . . I don't do anything now right? I don't have to tell them that I'm not paying anything?
No, you don't have to do anything now. You don't need to tell them you're not paying anything now as the Tax Return you've just submitted tells them.

No, you don't have to do anything now. You don't need to tell them you're not paying anything now as the Tax Return you've just submitted tells them.
Oddly though I just went back in to double check. For some reason I found it very difficult to navigate to my summited return, and before I found it I found a section (that I had not seen before) that said I needed to pay X by Jan 31. The amount of X though was exactly the same as my first and second payments on account from the previous year. My only guess is that it estimates an amount based on the previous years advance payments on account, and the system hasn't got my submission yet????

The HMRC website is unnecessarily difficult to navigate in certain sections. Council websites too. Who makes them?

Oddly though I just went back in to double check. For some reason I found it very difficult to navigate to my summited return, and before I found it I found a section (that I had not seen before) that said I needed to pay X by Jan 31. The amount of X though was exactly the same as my first and second payments on account from the previous year. My only guess is that it estimates an amount based on the previous years advance payments on account, and the system hasn't got my submission yet????

The HMRC website is unnecessarily difficult to navigate in certain sections. Council websites too. Who makes them?
I'd leave it a day for HMRC systems to "capture" the Return info. I don't think all the systems work in real time. Instead, they do regular updates both within and between their systems. It's only after these updates that you can trust the information they give you. Even then, I'm not entirely sure it's always right! :D

Oh fuck. So for 2020 to 2021 I made a grand total of £120 in self employment and claimed some grants. I did agency work before accepting the game was up for the year and taking a full time job.

I've just done the return and expected to pay a little over £500, basically just tax on the grants. Done the return and it thinks I owe them £1400, it appears that I didn't pay enough tax PAYE. It's not like I was working multiple jobs at one time or anything, so don't understand how it could have fucked up so badly. I'll give them a call, but suspect thats a grand gone I wasn't expecting. :(

HMRC are saying I have to pay back all my SEISS grants because I wasn't trading in 20-21. Even with the grants, my self employment income was just shy of £1000 so I ticked the 'less than 1000 from self employment' box, which means you then don't get an option to declare how much you earned and you're classified as 'not self employed'. The tax robots have therefore decided I wasn't entitled to claim the grant. I got the bill today, and it's due by 31st of January.

I don't know what the fuck to do with that. I've amended my return to include my last paid invoice, even though it hit my bank on the last day of the previous tax year so technically shouldn't count, but if your income from self employment fell to zero they want the money back? Fuck that. If they'd given me more than 1000 in SEISS grant I would have declared it but I got 954 quid or something.

Fucking panicking now. I do not have a thousand quid to give HMRC in three days' time or ever.

HMRC are saying I have to pay back all my SEISS grants because I wasn't trading in 20-21. Even with the grants, my self employment income was just shy of £1000 so I ticked the 'less than 1000 from self employment' box, which means you then don't get an option to declare how much you earned and you're classified as 'not self employed'. The tax robots have therefore decided I wasn't entitled to claim the grant. I got the bill today, and it's due by 31st of January.

I don't know what the fuck to do with that. I've amended my return to include my last paid invoice, even though it hit my bank on the last day of the previous tax year so technically shouldn't count, but if your income from self employment fell to zero they want the money back? Fuck that. If they'd given me more than 1000 in SEISS grant I would have declared it but I got 954 quid or something.

Fucking panicking now. I do not have a thousand quid to give HMRC in three days' time or ever.
Holy shit that is terrifying. I could have quite easily been in the same boat were it not for two short lucky jobs. It's not that I wouldn't have been 'open for business', I just wouldn't got any. . . . bloody hell.

Holy shit that is terrifying. I could have quite easily been in the same boat were it not for two short lucky jobs. It's not that I wouldn't have been 'open for business', I just wouldn't got any. . . . bloody hell.

I've sent them a letter saying 'this is bullshit'. I stopped claiming when I started teacher training and wouldn't have been able to work, and have told them as much. I read everything very carefully when I made the claims in the first place and I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear. I can show I had months' worth of work prebooked when everything went to shit.

Looks like the decision was made by a robot tbh, if I'm lucky another robot will unmake it before anyone even reads the letter.

HMRC are useless cunts though. Phone them up and they do all the security questions, what is your query about, I heard 'dolphin orgy' is that correct? Oh right, income tax, no that makes more sense. OK could you just confirm every single piece of information about you that exists before we bother to say that there's nobody available and just cut you off.

I've said it before: they're actually rather pleasant and helpful - any time of year except the second half of January, when I imagine tempers get a little frayed in HQ... Still, that's a shitty, scary position to be in and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I hope they correct it when a human looks at it properly.

They have generally been nice enough on the phone with anything I have had to sort out. Only problem is, they have not been able to help with anything I have called about in the last couple of years. I found out recently that something they said they had 'sorted' was not sorted at all, in fact there was another error they didn't spot. I have to call them again, but I am waiting until February / March. From what I am seeing at my end they don't have a lot of people at hand and any low level problems are being ignored. There is probably not enough money at stake on my account to trigger any warnings.

Nasty. I am in a not totally dissimilar situation as I was a student for half of this tax year, and I claimed an SEISS grant (only one, which was just after returning to self employment and struggling to pick up any work) - and my total income (excluding student loan) is ridiculously small for the year - but it's a few grand at least so fingers crossed I don't get noticed by any robots.

And still haven't done the fucking thing though I have worked out all the figures and it's going to be a big fat zero.

Done mine. Thoroughly depressing how little I earned that year. And to have received nothing in the way of covid support money whilst others have got rich from the situation. Always reminds me how far outside mainstream society I really am. Paid my NI voluntarily though, gotta see some kind of pension.

Hours of pain. I owe them £1.60. Plus they seem to think I owe them £1 for last year. Whatevs.

Spent quite a long time looking for two lost bits of paper to cover missing periods, only to find they'd changed the accounting periods and it was all covered by the paperwork I had.

Back
Top Bottom