Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

No, I have been getting them as well since submitting my last tax return at the end of Jan, and had been wondering if there were just general tipps or if they were hinting that I had done something wrong...
There are loads of them as well, almost one a week I'd say. They do look legit.

It's this kind of stuff, as per their website, with links to the HMRC YouTube channel (what fun! - having said that, sarcastically, some of it looks quite useful, I might watch some!) and to webinars. The email address is the one mentioned in the paragraph below:

"1.29 Help and support emails
HMRC will periodically send emails to customers to support their business life events. The emails will sometimes include links to relevant online digital education products, used to offer you help in relation to your business and the email will appear in your address bar as: no.reply@advice.hmrc.gov.uk.

These emails will never ask you to provide personal or financial information.

All emails issued from this address, are sent via Granicus (GovDelivery) our trusted email service provider."

I get these random e-mails from HMRC with various advice, I am surprised DexterTCN isn't aware of these being sent out.
No official communication comes out from HMRC by email (apart from payment acknowledgements if requested) as far as I'm aware...that stuff you're getting is just pr crap (as in it does not include or ask you for details, they're just advertising services).

I was more concerned about phishing because it's rife and any mention of emails these days pricks up our ears.

If you log into your gateway account and call 0300 200 3600 they should be able to navigate you to getting rid of them.

And cupid_stunt is correct, I don't know everything about the revenue. I have only done tax credits helpline, tc renewals, child benefit, online helpdesk, sa helpline, paye and sa debt recovery, refunds, appeals and answering letters. I'm frontline on those.

Certain things I can help with, a lot I can't but I can generally find out anything I don't know off the top of my head quite quickly.

And I'm leaving in a few months.

I'v had a few unsolicited emails purporting to be from hmrc too. They have only just started this year but I'd say one a week. No way am I clicking links in anything I haven't asked for no matter how legit it looks.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
For the last couple of years I have had to do a tax return for income from self-employment in addition to my PAYE. This year, and in all likelihood next year, I have nothing aside from my PAYE to declare. Longterm my plan involves more self-employment, so in a couple of years time I expect to have to do a tax return again.

Do I just not need to do anything? Or do I need to inform HMRC somehow? Or do I need to do a tax return and just fill in my PAYE income? Basically, ideally I would like there to be a sort of "nothing to declare" button to press, so it doesn't look like I have just forgotten or am just not doing it, and of course I would like to have as little time to spend on the whole thing as possible.

For the last couple of years I have had to do a tax return for income from self-employment in addition to my PAYE. This year, and in all likelihood next year, I have nothing aside from my PAYE to declare. Longterm my plan involves more self-employment, so in a couple of years time I expect to have to do a tax return again.

Do I just not need to do anything? Or do I need to inform HMRC somehow? Or do I need to do a tax return and just fill in my PAYE income? Basically, ideally I would like there to be a sort of "nothing to declare" button to press, so it doesn't look like I have just forgotten or am just not doing it, and of course I would like to have as little time to spend on the whole thing as possible.
File a nil return, easiest option.

I had a mate in a similar situation. He continued for a couple of years until they told him not to bother.

This is my first year going on to payment on account, what a ballache that is, tax bill from this year and 50% of next year's at the end of the month.

Just put your PAYE income in. Declare your self employed income as Nil for y/e 5/4/19 (assuming that is the case), but if your plans are for future s/emp income just keep filing. imho.

Get a screen shot of the checker's advice. Alternatively, the internet won't break if you do a return anyway with just PAYE info; you might get thrown off with the message you don't need to do a return. Get a screenshot of that too.

Warning; if anyone ever gets a letter asking for a return, regardless of earnings or any other circumstance, send in a return.

I got mine in April. Got asked for a series of payments over the year, the penalty for missing one being intrest applied. When I called and said that if I hadn't put it in till now I would pay no intrest, they said this was case. Seems a bit of an odd way to penalise people trying to be organised.

Hopefully this year I'm organised enough to get it in early and actually have the money to pay the dam thing straight away.

This is my first year going on to payment on account, what a ballache that is, tax bill from this year and 50% of next year's at the end of the month.

It's very 'housing benefit paid in arrears', isn't it. 'Hello, we are the national government of one of the world's largest economies. We are pro-business and entrepreneurialism. Could we just ask you random losers to pay us several thousand pounds on income that you aren't even sure you'll earn yet, because we're a bit short this year?'

Well, I've submitted mine, after the traditional annual panic about some aspect of the form which I have literally no memory of how I dealt with last time round. This year it was whether payments from clients abroad count as 'foreign income' or not. (They don't, but the wording of the guidance note was slightly ambiguous and caused me a couple of hours of confusion.)

Solidarity, my accountant has just sent the dreaded sort your shit out email

Spent two days doing my taxes..............realised I’ve done next fucking years:mad::mad::mad::mad:

on the upside I don’t need to do next years...down side, still got this years to untangle

upside I paid a shit load of random wrong category tax last year so it should theoretically go against this years

Well, I've submitted mine, after the traditional annual panic about some aspect of the form which I have literally no memory of how I dealt with last time round. This year it was whether payments from clients abroad count as 'foreign income' or not. (They don't, but the wording of the guidance note was slightly ambiguous and caused me a couple of hours of confusion.)

This year it is wether or not I did it on cash basis last year or not 😆 and the usual 'you need to delete something before you submit this page and advance loop.

Well I've started one, but this time round I have to do two sets of employment as I changed role part way through the tax year, and I have a load of business expenses to include because of working away from home half the time.

Plus the national insurance people said I was due a refund and haven't written back yet.

So I'm doing it a bit at a time to try to reduce the pain.

Mines away and submitted, just waiting on the money transferring into my account with the card and I'll pay it tomorrow. Definitely the most I've ever spent on a card, by quite a long way.

I don't actually remember how I paid it last year. Bank transfer I guess, but it was only about £600. I have the fear when it's bigger sums that it'll disappear into the ether or I'll get the details wrong.

Ooh! I've just discovered the trading income allowance, which is basically £1000 allowance for general expenses if you're a chicken feed occasional freelancer like me. I would have skipped right over that in the form because I didn't know what it meant if I hadn't watched this video:

Paid most of mine today, had to split it because there's a daily card limit, apparently. Nice problem to have though. Also 3 working days to reach HMRC's account? That's shocking in this day and age. Glad I wasn't trying to do it at the last minute!

Back
Top Bottom