Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tartiflette. Nom!

prunus said:
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :) Don't want to start the tartiflette wars.

Mimosa deli in herne hill usually has reblochon kittyP - £10 for a big one which I think is reasonable (although, tbh I've no idea really :D)

£10 :eek:
I don't want a massive one, it's going to be sliced in half so a medium one would suffice I'd say.

that's the one i use although these days i fudge the quantities depending on how it looks, i tend to make it slightly wetter than she does and for larger quantities give it an extra 5-10 in the oven.
aye, got it from you ;)

and yeh kitty, sainsburys for the cheese :) it's a semi circle and perfect size for a small tartiflette.

Cheaper in Sainsburys ;)

So you're the tartiflette expert on here are you? Tartiflexpert even. How come I have been unaware of this until now eh?
nah, far from it. wayward bob introduced me to it, and I've made it a few times since. It's bloody lovely! Come round some time for it? :)

When Biddlybee made it for us, I seriously think it is one of the best things in have ever ever eaten!

Tartiflette is a Savoyard dish, so herbes of Provence shouldn't be going anywhere near it. It's usually eaten with a green salad, although that it usually eaten afterwards. If you want charcuterie, have it before as a starter. A light dessert, ice cream or isle flottant only as tartiflette tends to sit rather heavily on the stomach

Wilson said:
It's just a posh cheese and potato pie.

Not really.
Cheese and potato pie is mash and cheese put in the oven.

I think we will have it with crusty bread to dip in and maybe salad on the side but seeing as it will be hangover curing food we may skip that.

I used to live on tartiflette at festivals. Dunno whether they still do it, but there used to be a stall that cooked enormous quantities of tartiflette in massive, metre+ wide pans. They'd go around all the festies :cool:

In 2006, Burger King did a tartiflette burger in France :cool:

It'll work with any Reblechon, but a better quality one - one that's nice and soft in the middle - will taste nicer than one with cheaper supermarket Reblechon, which tends to be too hard (not ripe enough??).

When you've finished eating it, I dare you to go outside and run around the block :D

doddles said:
It'll work with any Reblechon, but a better quality one - one that's nice and soft in the middle - will taste nicer than one with cheaper supermarket Reblechon, which tends to be too hard (not ripe enough??).

When you've finished eating it, I dare you to go outside and run around the block :D

Don't be silly Jerry :D

Also, the fact that it's cooked and melts anyway, surely it doesn't matter if it's properly soft/ripe or not, not really?

Last edited:
OK, got Reblechon in the supermarket :cool: £3 for a half round so got two as the pan I have is pretty big.
Got smoked cured bacon lardons in Lidl for cheap.
Got cream, potatoes, parsley er... I think that is it, as I had onions and garlic in already.

I am really looking forward to this :)

I have spent the last three and a bit days cleaning my house and sorting through piles and piles of crap. I have done all the bedrooms and the kitchen and am half way through the living room...but as a consequence my children haven't eaten a proper meal in DAYS :oops: :eek: :D so I have one of these in the oven now (made to bob/Biddly's suggested recipe) and we'll be having it with a huge pile of vegetables so as to try and get some sort of goodness into them along with the hearty stodge :cool:
I'm hoping it will give me some energy to spur me on a bit, rather than leaving me sprawled on the sofa, surrounded by piles of books and games and rubbish... :hmm:

My cream had gone off btw :( (was leftover from Xmas - I've been intending to make this since NYD :facepalm: ) so I've used a couple of dollops of total greek yoghurt instead, which is a bit of a shame (it's the zero fat version, too :mad: ) but hopefully not too far off what it should be like!

sheothebudworths said:
I have spent the last three and a bit days cleaning my house and sorting through piles and piles of crap. I have done all the bedrooms and the kitchen and am half way through the living room...but as a consequence my children haven't eaten a proper meal in DAYS :oops: :eek: :D so I have one of these in the oven now (made to bob/Biddly's suggested recipe) and we'll be having it with a huge pile of vegetables so as to try and get some sort of goodness into them along with the hearty stodge :cool:
I'm hoping it will give me some energy to spur me on a bit, rather than leaving me sprawled on the sofa, surrounded by piles of books and games and rubbish... :hmm:

:cool:

I was too hungover on New Years day to make it so am aiming for tonight, although I feel a bit shitty so maybe tomorrow.
I have some asparagus for the side for a little bit of health.

sheothebudworths said:
My cream had gone off btw :( (was leftover from Xmas - I've been intending to make this since NYD :facepalm: ) so I've used a couple of dollops of total greek yoghurt instead, which is a bit of a shame (it's the zero fat version, too :mad: ) but hopefully not too far off what it should be like!

Hmm. I should check my cream.
Didn't buy it til the 30th and it's unopened so should be ok.

Anyone tried making it without the bacon? (sorry, crap weedy vegetarian question :D)

I used to live on tartiflette at festivals. Dunno whether they still do it, but there used to be a stall that cooked enormous quantities of tartiflette in massive, metre+ wide pans. They'd go around all the festies :cool:

These people...

LaGrandeBouffe(TheBigNosh)-20100605-1287597582.jpg

...who do this.

top-5-festival-food-stalls-la-grande-bouffe.jpg

It's more than one of my favourite things at a festival, it's one of the highlights of my entire year. Their presence has been known to influence which festivals I attend. One of my greatest festival moments was persuading them as they were closing one night to sell me a load of the burned / caramelised cheese from the bottom of one of the pans they were scraping out. :cool:

Have tried recreating it myself, and I can get the tartiflette right (best with unsliced smoked streaky from sandridge farm), but I've never been able to crack the awesome, fatty-yet-lean garlicyness of the sausages they slow cook in wine. Closest I've got are some fat sausages from an italian deli, but they're not quite right.

FWIW, I cook my tartiflette with no onions, lots of reblochon and a fuck ton of double cream. To counter this, I only allow myself to cook it once per year.

Anyone tried making it without the bacon? (sorry, crap weedy vegetarian question :D)

I haven't tried making it* but have used the following in other dishes as bacon substitutes - sun-dried tomatoes, capers, anchovies in you're pescetarian.

*it's a double no-no in our place - my partner doesn't eat meat and I am on a low fat diet! It looks fantastic, though.

These people...

LaGrandeBouffe(TheBigNosh)-20100605-1287597582.jpg

...who do this.

top-5-festival-food-stalls-la-grande-bouffe.jpg

It's more than one of my favourite things at a festival, it's one of the highlights of my entire year. Their presence has been known to influence which festivals I attend. One of my greatest festival moments was persuading them as they were closing one night to sell me a load of the burned / caramelised cheese from the bottom of one of the pans they were scraping out. :cool:

Have tried recreating it myself, and I can get the tartiflette right (best with unsliced smoked streaky from sandridge farm), but I've never been able to crack the awesome, fatty-yet-lean garlicyness of the sausages they slow cook in wine. Closest I've got are some fat sausages from an italian deli, but they're not quite right.

FWIW, I cook my tartiflette with no onions, lots of reblochon and a fuck ton of double cream. To counter this, I only allow myself to cook it once per year.

They're the ones! Love them!

They, or a similar business, used to have a stall on Camden market, too.

Back
Top Bottom