Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Take down your 'castle', twat told

result, a bargainouse price for so many hours of tele
Well, if the discs play...

Was hoping to start yesterday but Mrs la rouge said don't start without her, then didn't want to start. I watched Dr Who The War Machines instead. (Is the Inferno Club in Covent Garden still open? I understand it gives free drinks to people who are past their 20s).

Fucks sake. I have series one on DVD. If I ever want to watch The Wire again I'll just download it anyway, I'm not even sure where my DVD player is. You can have it if you PM me your address Danny. I'm not promising speed though.

No it doesn't. Powerline adapters lay a signal over AC. There was talk of using the earth pole as well as the mains circuit to increase speeds, not sure what happened with that though.
This.

Powerline networking works by superimposing a high-frequency radio signal onto the mains, and then using that to transmit the ethernet data. It can't do that on earth, because earth is already tied to ground, so it uses Line (or "live") to do it.

My experience of it is that it can work surprisingly well, especially when you think that what you're doing is to put a fairly small signal onto a wire carrying a high voltage, and connected to all kinds of electrically noisy devices. There are some caveats, though...
  • Don't plug powerline adapters into extension leads - I have seen significant degradation in performance and reliability with these when they're plugged in other than to a wall socket. This might be an RF problem, in that all those trailing wires then become antennae, either picking up or radiating RF signals which is interfering with the data, or reducing its range;
  • Not all house wiring is equal - it can be difficult, sometimes, to get a decent connection between powerline adapters on different circuits if they're at the "far" end of the circuit. That might be something to do with the way the wiring has been installed - it might be just fine for carrying big meaty mains current, but presents a challenge to RF - or simply that the sheer range, in from the far end of one loop, through the consumer unit, and back out through to the far end of another. I tried to connect to the shed at the bottom of the garden over powerline (about 30 metres from house to shed) and found that, while they could negotiate a connection, it was rarely good enough to be usable.
  • Some powerline adapters are better than others - I've used TP-Link and some no-name (or can't remember) brand, which had the advantage of a socket on the front. The TP-Links were far more reliable under all circumstances than the latter. I can still use it, but only for shorter hops.
I am not 100% sure, but I think that the way the powerline network operates is that all stations negotiate with each other, which means that, if you've got a connection issue, just plugging in another adapter somewhere "between" the others (so, probably nearer the CU on one of the circuits) can improve things, as it acts as a kind of relay. I haven't tested this exhaustively, but I did notice an effect that seemed to bear this out when I was networking an office with quite widespread circuits, which could have been this "relay" effect.

The big downside with powerline is that, if you have any friends or neighbours with an interest in short-wave radio, don't tell them you're using it. Because they will hate you. And say rude things about it (and, possibly, you). The frequencies it uses do clash with some of the frequencies used by radio amateurs and the like, and they get very annoyed about it.

No it doesn't. Powerline adapters lay a signal over AC. There was talk of using the earth pole as well as the mains circuit to increase speeds, not sure what happened with that though.

I don't understand the technology then. I assumed they pushed data through earth, but then data shouldn't be run unsegregated with AC so I don't know why I drew that conclusion. Plus not enough wires. It's something else. I stand corrected.

I don't understand the technology then. I assumed they pushed data through earth, but then data shouldn't be run unsegregated with AC so I don't know why I drew that conclusion. Plus not enough wires. It's something else. I stand corrected.
It's an easy conclusion to draw. Conventional wisdom says "stay well away from power", and with good reason. It's only been since the arrival of high-power semiconductors that can switch at sufficiently high speeds that this has even been possible. Going back a bit, one effort at communication over mains relied on waiting for "zero crossings" (ie, when the AC voltage passes zero, as it does 100 times a second at 50Hz), and blurting bits of data onto the line while the voltage is close to zero. That works, and is easier to do, but has very little bandwidth. Typically, it was used for ultra-simple things like the X-10 home automation protocol, which only needed to transmit a few bytes at a time. It wasn't even really good enough for error correction and repeating corrupted data, so X-10 gets around this by sending everything twice :)

but then data shouldn't be run unsegregated with AC

That's true in many respects (eg. you shouldn't run a Cat5/e/6 etc. cable parallel within a certain distance of mains without some form of segregation). But these are different protocols that safely transmit a signal over the same wiring, much as some power companies monitor smart meters over power lines.

I don't understand the technology then.

Mind-numbing white paper if you're into that stuff.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It looks like one of those books thats weird for the sake of being weird, so I probably won't get along with it.
It isn't at all. The passage that occasioned this exchange is a comment on bureaucracy, for example. It's recognisable to anyone who has tried to reason with a bureaucratic mindset.

It isn't at all. The passage that occasioned this exchange is a comment on bureaucracy, for example. It's recognisable to anyone who has tried to reason with a bureaucratic mindset.

The review I've just read repeatedly had the word "weird" in it.

Anyway, I shouldn't have to defend my choice to not read a book, I'm in the middle of bloody reading one :p

getting wound up remembering how shit the film was now. It started really well, sucked you in and then cast you aside feeling hollow and cheated of your time & money &attention span.

Whats that got to do with anything? :confused:
The use of the word weird was by the reviewer, not Douglas Adams.

I remember an edition of Whisky Galore that came out in the 80s. Inexplicably a quoted review on the cover called Compton MacKenzie, the author, "Scotland's answer to Tom Sharpe". This was inaccurate in several ways. First, MacKenzie pre-dates Sharpe by several decades, secondly MacKenzie was born in England (something he makes use of in his books, with semi-autobiographical characters based on himself), and thirdly his writing in no noticeable way resembles Sharpe's.

I mention this because I worked in a bookshop when this edition came out and was repeatedly asked about the comparison. Usually by fans of Tom Sharpe who thought MacKenzie was some sort of plagiarist. (The book was "featured" near the counter).

Reviewers aren't necessarily not idiots.

TV series was good though. I couldn't even be arsed finishing the film. Gave up disgusted in under an hour.
my elders tell me the radio version was proper hilarious but I've never sought it out.

still at least Dirk Gently is unfilmable so there will be no gulling me over that one

I thought this thread was about a chap who was trying to look after the greenbelt n farming and stuff, having built his own house to live in.
So, he is back in court next week :hmm:
Castle site would otherwise be 'stinging nettles and rubbish'

Was reading that earlier and am starting to feel for him a bit, he's getting quite desperate:

Mr Fidler said if he demolished the house, he would have nowhere to live and his herd would have to be disbanded.

He also claimed his attempt to demolish the house was thwarted by the presence of bats, adding he had sold the property and it was no longer his responsibility.

you are only cheating yourself by not being on the netflix danny. We do this out of a desire to see you well entertained

my elders tell me the radio version was proper hilarious but I've never sought it out.

still at least Dirk Gently is unfilmable so there will be no gulling me over that one

Unfilmable for the big screen anyway, as it's already been done as a TV series (which wasn't bad).

I thought this thread was about a chap who was trying to look after the greenbelt n farming and stuff, having built his own house to live in.
So, he is back in court next week :hmm:
Castle site would otherwise be 'stinging nettles and rubbish'
Some quotes from the twat in question:
He added: "Who do you think is going to look after the green belt if we don't look after the place? Mowing the place and cutting the thistles.

"You wouldn't enjoy it if I wasn't there. It would be brambles, stinging nettles and rubbish."
I think he's rather missed the point of what the green belt is. It isn't about land being mown and looking pretty. The National Planning Policy Framework states clearly the five purposes of including land in green belt in its paragraph 80:
  • to check the unrestricted sprawl of large built-up areas;
  • to prevent neighbouring towns merging into one another;
  • to assist in safeguarding the countryside from encroachment;
  • to preserve the setting and special character of historic towns; and
  • to assist in urban regeneration, by encouraging the recycling of derelict and other urban land.
Nothing there about brambles and stinging nettles (both of which are actually exceptionally good for wildlife, so actually to be encouraged, but that's beside the point).

This castle does not comply with the purposes of preventing towns merging into one another nor assisting the safeguarding of countryside from encroachment. It also works against the urban regeneration purpose by removing the need to recycle derelict and other urban land for housing.

I'll also quote from NPPF para 89:

A local planning authority should regard the construction of new buildings as inappropriate in Green Belt. Exceptions to this are:
  • buildings for agriculture and forestry;
  • provision of appropriate facilities for outdoor sport, outdoor recreation and for cemeteries, as long as it preserves the openness of the Green Belt and does not conflict with the purposes of including land within it;
  • the extension or alteration of a building provided that it does not result in disproportionate additions over and above the size of the original building;
  • the replacement of a building, provided the new building is in the same use and not materially larger than the one it replaces;
  • limited infilling in villages, and limited affordable housing for local community needs under policies set out in the Local Plan; or
  • limited infilling or the partial or complete redevelopment of previously developed sites (brownfield land), whether redundant or in continuing use (excluding temporary buildings), which would not have a greater impact on the openness of the Green Belt and the purpose of including land within it than the existing development.
(There are some exceptions in NPPF90, none of which apply here.)

Given this all this, it's pretty open and shut that it does not "look after" the green belt. In fact, if you understand the purpose of green belt, you'll see that the only "looking after" the green belt needs is for twats like this not to go and inappropriately build on it.

Was reading that earlier and am starting to feel for him a bit, he's getting quite desperate:
I don't feel sorry for him. He thought he could enrich himself to the detriment of everybody else by undermining one of the key planks of our planning system; one of the few things the law has left to stop the whole place turning into industrialised hell. Fuck him.

I don't feel sorry for him. He thought he could enrich himself to the detriment of everybody else by undermining one of the key planks of our planning system; one of the few things the law has left to stop the whole place turning into industrialised hell. Fuck him.

Oh totally, it has to come down.

He is coming across as a bit confused and scared though, don't like to see that. Hopefully it can get done and dusted as soon as possible and he can move on.

Back
Top Bottom