Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Take down your 'castle', twat told

It's an odd one as there is a very credible argument that the greenbelt helps keep house prices high for those who own in Surrey etc. and that is why people who live there are keen to keep it, after all an extra 30,000 houses in Dorking would smash the fuck out of existing house values.

The counter argument of course is that Dorking is 45 minutes from the centre of London and from there you can walk up Box Hill, Leith Hill, Denbies, Ranmore etc. Basically you have some stunning countryside that is easily accessible to even the poorest in London and this should be protected.

I go with the second. But with a vested interest in the first.
Fuck the green belt, it's decent housing that's needed.

They need to whack a new supertown on some of that land around Box Hill.

Fuck the green belt, it's decent housing that's needed.

They need to whack a new supertown on some of that land around Box Hill.

It's no good though, cos if you build cheap/social housing there the occupants can't afford £3-4K PA to get in to town.

All new central London developments should be genuinely affordable, £100k per bedroom maximum. Sure it will massacre central London house prices, but I'm sure you'll agree that would be a good thing.

All new central London developments should be genuinely affordable, £100k per bedroom maximum. Sure it will massacre central London house prices, but I'm sure you'll agree that would be a good thing.
I would agree. Everything else would come down pro-rata so anyone intending to live in their homes would be better off. Only the only landlords and speculators/investors would be shafted, and fuck them.

I would agree. Everything else would come down pro-rata so anyone intending to live in their homes would be better off. Only the only landlords and speculators/investors would be shafted, and fuck them.

Yeah, so even those with expensive houses wouldn't lose out. And you can all pop down to Box Hill for a picnic. Everyone's a winner.

problem-solved.jpg

Goodness knows what all this is costing in legal fees, appeals etc. Where will he go after all this, will the king go down with his castle.

Goodness knows what all this is costing in legal fees, appeals etc. Where will he go after all this, will the king go down with his castle.

He's probably already salting his assets away in preparation of going bankrupt, leaving the local authority lumbered with costs.

To be honest I think people who live round this area are suddenly going to become a lot less interested in this, and a lot more interested about the proposed 172 acre business park just down the road, all to be built on green areas, and with potential of compulsory purchase orders for business owners and people who live on the land

Council proposes business park the size of 85 football pitches for Horley

The first anyone had heard of it was when the papers started reporting, the council had kept it very very quiet.

To be honest I think people who live round this area are suddenly going to become a lot less interested in this, and a lot more interested about the proposed 172 acre business park just down the road, all to be built on green areas, and with potential of compulsory purchase orders for business owners and people who live on the land

Council proposes business park the size of 85 football pitches for Horley

The first anyone had heard of it was when the papers started reporting, the council had kept it very very quiet.

MISTER PROSSER: The plans were on display.

Oh right..... I've never read it. It looked a bit silly to me.
I can't believe I'm still recommending HGTTG in 2015. Definitely read it. It's funny and deceptively well written, and covers some interesting ideas in a humourous way. (If you have some understanding of science you'll find some of the jokes particularly rewarding, but it's not necessary).

Book 4, So Long And Thanks For All The Fish also has one of the funniest grammatical gags I'd ever read. (Please people, don't post it up; it's not right).

The film is dross, though.

I can't believe I'm still recommending HGTTG in 2015. Definitely read it. It's funny and deceptively well written, and covers some interesting ideas in a humourous way. (If you have some understanding of science you'll find some of the jokes particularly rewarding, but it's not necessary).

Book 4, So Long And Thanks For All The Fish also has one of the funniest grammatical gags I'd ever read. (Please people, don't post it up; it's not right).

The film is dross, though.
If someone told you all that, your response would be, "it doesn't sound like my kind of thing, it's too difficult to get hold of the book"

No, I do like paying for people's work. I don't like stealing it.
Imagine how much you'd love all these excuses being given to you after you'd suggested in good faith something you'd think somebody else would like. How uplifted you would be, eh?

Imagine how much you'd love all these excuses being given to you after you'd suggested in good faith something you'd think somebody else would like. How uplifted you would be, eh?
If I suggested to someone a book only available in Japanese and the person said "I can't read Japanese", I think "fair enough".

If you think that's the same then truly shame on you.
The same as what?

For a variety of reasons (including I can't get wireless signal in my living room/kitchen, where my TV is; and I have a bad back and find it physically uncomfortable watching films on my desktop computer where there is wifi) I am limited to watching programmes on Freeview or DVD. When my house was build, they weren't anticipating wifi.

I understand that for you there are a number of formats you enjoy using. That's great, but not everyone is you.

I will be delighted if a Freeview channel starts to show the Wire. Equally, if I find a DVD of series one, I will happily pay for it. (But I earn far less than the national average wage so I'm not buying the box of all ten seasons unless I'm totally sure I'll like it).

I'd also love to join the Netflix revolution, but as I've said, I can't get reliable wifi to my TV (and I have tried a booster, but it's only intermittently successful).

I'm sorry if you take exception to that, but it's not because I don't want to watch the Wire. I do.

(Though I have to say I'm not sold on Buffy).

The same as what?

For a variety of reasons (including I can't get wireless signal in my living room/kitchen, where my TV is; and I have a bad back and find it physically uncomfortable watching films on my desktop computer where there is wifi) I am limited to watching programmes on Freeview or DVD. When my house was build, they weren't anticipating wifi.

I understand that for you there are a number of formats you enjoy using. That's great, but not everyone is you.

I will be delighted if a Freeview channel starts to show the Wire. Equally, if I find a DVD of series one, I will happily pay for it. (But I earn far less than the national average wage so I'm not buying the box of all ten seasons unless I'm totally sure I'll like it).

I'd also love to join the Netflix revolution, but as I've said, I can't get reliable wifi to my TV (and I have tried a booster, but it's only intermittently successful).

I'm sorry if you take exception to that, but it's not because I don't want to watch the Wire. I do.

(Though I have to say I'm not sold on Buffy).
What I'm saying is that to think reasonable suggestions made in good faith are equivalent to people suggesting books to you in Japanese indicates a negative view of the suggester that is pretty unfair.

There are plenty of ways round the things you mention, by the way. For example, I have solid stone walls in my house that means no wifi signal at all to the TV, and yet I still have internet on the TV. The solution was cheap (very cheap compared to the cost of the broadband and other equipment) and works so well that the TV actually has a stronger reception than the rest of the house. But you are always extremely keen not to listen to solutions, so I won't go in the how and why.

Back
Top Bottom