Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Take down your 'castle', twat told

What I'm saying is that to think reasonable suggestions made in good faith are equivalent to people suggesting books to you in Japanese indicates a negative view of the suggester that is pretty unfair.
I didn't mean it that way. I meant that not all formats are suitable for everyone.

I think you've developed a negative view of my likes and needs that is unfair, though.

But you are always extremely keen not to listen to solutions, so I won't go in the how and why.
I don't recognise that characterisation. I have formats that work for me, I don't have Sky, and I would like to get wifi to my TV. I'm not making these things up to be awkward.

If you have a way of getting wifi to your TV that would work for me I'd love to hear it. As would my teenager daughter who would love to get Netflix.

(I can tell you that I looked into the solution where you use the wiring system, but unfortunately the plugs in the room our TV is in are on a different circuit to the plugs where our phone/PC/wifi hub is. Again, I'm not making this up to be difficult: the Universe is).

I didn't mean it that way. I meant that not all formats are suitable for everyone.

I think you've developed a negative view of my likes and needs that is unfair, though.

I don't recognise that characterisation. I have formats that work for me, I don't have Sky, and I would like to get wifi to my TV. I'm not making these things up to be awkward.

If you have a way of getting wifi to your TV that would work for me I'd love to hear it. As would my teenager daughter who would love to get Netflix.

(I can tell you that I looked into the solution where you use the wiring system, but unfortunately the plugs in the room our TV is in are on a different circuit to the plugs where our phone/PC/wifi hub is. Again, I'm not making this up to be difficult: the Universe is).

Did you try putting your Wifi router and TV within range of each other?

Did you try putting your Wifi router and TV within range of each other?
The problem is that the phone line comes into the house at the front. Our landline and router are there. Our living room/kitchen (all one room) is at the back of the house, where the TV is. The TV can't really go where the phone is (it's a small lobby, where we hang our coats and take muddy shoes off). I suppose I could get the phone line taken through to the living room, but wouldn't that mean relocating the PC to the living room to get the relocated wifi? I don't particularly want to do that as there's not really room for it. I suppose I could get a laptop when we come to replace the computer, but it's only a year or 18 months old).

I know this will irritate kabbes.

There are ring main wifi extenders. As long as something near the telly is on the same ring main as the router, it can act as a second wifi hotspot. Or you can daisy chain ring main extenders. Or you can use a relay.

I had no knowledge of this stuff but I was pretty sure a solution was out there. It can't be impossible to get an internet connection in the lounge when you have a router in the kitchen.

There are ring main wifi extenders. As long as something near the telly is on the same ring main as the router, it can act as a second wifi hotspot. Or you can daisy chain ring main extenders. Or you can use a relay.

I had no knowledge of this stuff but I was pretty sure a solution was out there. It can't be impossible to get an internet connection in the lounge when you have a router in the kitchen.
I don't have a router in the kitchen. The kitchen and living room are the same room. That's the room I have trouble getting wifi to.

I have a booster, but it drops out all the time and doesn't really work satisfactorily.

The ring (the circuit) that operates on the room we have the TV in is not the same ring as the one we have the router plugged into. (I know you don't know the layout of my house, so I don't blame you for not understanding this).

Now, we did ask the guy at a local TV shop to come and try the circuit thing. He was confident he could get it to work. But that was before he saw our house. There is a lobby (I believe known as a "hall" in England) where the phone is. (There's a phone extension in the bedroom). Then a door, and a store room (we keep the vacuum and booze there) and toilet in the centre of the floor plan, with thick walls. Then our kitchen-living room.

The TV guy said the circuit thing wouldn't work. We took him at his word, and bought a Netgear booster which as I've said doesn't really work well.

You can buy a multitude of wifi aerials on ebay for under £10, if you stick some better aerials on your router and range extender (and TV if possible) there is a considerable chance this will help without costing much.

Last edited:
Have you thought of running a Cat5e cable from your router to your TV (assuming you have a LAN socket on the TV and a spare one on the router)? I don't know your house layout but if it's difficult to run internally then you could drill through and clip it round the outside of the house.

Have you thought of running a Cat5e cable from your router to your TV (assuming you have a LAN socket on the TV and a spare one on the router)? I don't know your house layout but if it's difficult to run internally then you could drill through and clip it round the outside of the house.
I don't think the TV has a LAN socket (although it might. I'll look). It's not a smart TV. It had been my plan to use the Wii the receive iPlayer and Netflicks. The TV guy suggested a solution that involved chasing cables through walls and which he quoted at about £130. We said no thanks, we've lived this long without those things, we could carry on.

What's a Cat5e? I'll look it up.

Ah, a blue ethernet cable. I see it's about a pound a meter. That's doable.

What am I going to do with it once I've reached the TV? (Assume no knowledge).

Ah, a blue ethernet cable. I see it's about a pound a meter. That's doable.

What am I going to do with it once I've reached the TV? (Assume no knowledge).

You can terminate the cable onto RJ45 plugs and just plug the ends directly into your router and wii (neater but needs a special crimp tool), or you can terminate each end onto RJ45 modular sockets (easier for the inexperienced, a disposable tool can be picked up for pennies) and use a short patch lead at each end between socket and device. If you want to run externally you'll need black internal/external cable.

I just checked and unfortunately Google tells me the wii doesn't have an RJ45 ethernet port (though an adaptor is available) so you might be better of just putting a cheap WiFi access point on the end of the cable next to the wii/TV.

The TV has a connection called "HDMI in" and another that's blue and looks like one of the sockets on the back of a PC - a trapezoid shaped connection with multiple little holes and two screw fixings either side.

The TV has a connection called "HDMI in" and another that's blue and looks like one of the sockets on the back of a PC - a trapezoid shaped connection with multiple little holes and two screw fixings either side.
They're not really going to be of use without getting into expensive media converters. Unless you have a laptop with HDMI or VGA out that you could connect to the TV, then use the laptop to stream Netflix etc. to the TV (you'll still need the Cat5e link to get internet to your laptop as I'm guessing that won't pick up WiFi if it's next to the TV either).

I've just checked and Google tells me that Netflicks doesn't have the Wire.

"The sad truth is, The Wire Probably won’t ever be on Netflix" Is The Wire on Netflix? – The Best of Netflix

Am I going to find things I want on Netflix?

Things I like:

The Sopranos
Mad Men (waiting to see the DVD of the last part of the final series, so shh. Had to rely on DVDs when the BBC lost the contract).
The Beiderbecke Affair
The films of Louis Malle

Things I don't like:

Orcs, hobbits, James Bond, car chases.

If DLR's internal walls don't conform to current domestic 802.11 connectivity standards then his council is supposed to demolish the house. Ignorance of this is no more of an excuse than concealing the property under hay bales would be.

I used the wiring things in my last flat and had a WiFi one in t

I used the plugs and the wiring in my last flat. I had the master plug by the router, a second one in the bedroom, third in the living room and last at the end of the garden in the shed. They were on 3 different electrical circuits and worked fine for me.

"The sad truth is, The Wire Probably won’t ever be on Netflix" Is The Wire on Netflix? – The Best of Netflix

Things I like:

The Sopranos
Mad Men (waiting to see the DVD of the last part of the final series, so shh. Had to rely on DVDs when the BBC lost the contract).
The Beiderbecke Affair
The films of Louis Malle

Things I don't like:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by its catalogue tbh.

Things I like:

The Sopranos
The Beiderbecke Affair
The films of Louis Malle

Things I don't like:

It has it's own show, Narcos, which you might like.

But It uses the earth which is interconnected throughout. Not sure why wifi wouldn't work either.

Back
Top Bottom