Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Take down your 'castle', twat told

I honestly don't think it's that though. I know I'm coming to it late. But I stand by my assessment of the writing. It's heavy handed. I prefer to be shown not told.

But people love it, that's great. They're allowed to.
I think one thing you're missing is that by spending so much time setting up the characters, they can then put them in situations that create natural and generally very bleak comedy. The Wire is most definitely a long way from being a comedy, and yet a lot of what I loved it for is how much is made me laugh. But that really is something that takes a long time to arrive, so it's something you'll unfortunately miss. I'm not saying it's what you should stick around for, but it was a major feature of the quality of the writing.

I honestly don't think it's that though. I know I'm coming to it late. But I stand by my assessment of the writing. It's heavy handed. I prefer to be shown not told.

But people love it, that's great. They're allowed to.
This insistence on some ideal notion of subtlety at all times, on a level of obscurity as a hallmark of quality, is a very modern shibboleth.

This insistence on some ideal notion of subtlety at all times, on a level of obscurity as a hallmark of quality, is a very modern shibboleth.
It's not even "at all times", just knowing when something can take a broad brush and when it can't.

The Wire's point of view - that the practices of US law enforcement are a de facto war on poor black neighbourhoods - is at such odds with 99% of other police programmes (in which the police is a fundamentally good institution sometimes led astray by bad individuals) that it needs a blunt approach. What's the point in subtly insinuating that the US establishment might be a little bit racist and corrupt? Is that really the appropriate tone to strike?

The Wire's point of view - that the practices of US law enforcement are a de facto war on poor black neighbourhoods - is at such odds with 99% of other police programmes (in which the police is a fundamentally good institution sometimes led astray by bad individuals) that it needs a blunt approach. What's the point in subtly insinuating that the US establishment might be a little bit racist and corrupt? Is that really the appropriate tone to strike?
A message don't have to be hard to fathom just because the writing is well crafted.

That's my point. You were moaning about wanting to be shown things, not told. Sometimes heavy-handedness is appropriate. The Wire is a polemic.
"Moaning" is a fairly loaded way to say I didn't think much of the writing.

What I'm saying is that you can have a clear message without resorting to cardboard cutout characters.

Had I known it was intended as a polemic, I'd have approached it differently. But it was sold to me as a drama.

However, I'm glad a programme with its world view had good coverage on fairly mainstream American TV. We can agree that that in itself is s good thing.

I've still not seen that either. I hope to enjoy it though.

I'm really not being deliberately misanthropic. I wanted to like the Wire.
I've started Braking Bad recently. I like it but don't find it earth shattering, just something to pass the time. So it's not just you who fails to get blown away by these 'great' TV shows.

Your still wrong though.

breaking bad lost it for me when I realised circumstance had turned Walter into a right cunt, but then he lets that girl choke. Line. After that? pfft. couldn't really vibe on it anymore

So it's not just you who fails to get blown away by these 'great' TV shows.
I'm sure it isn't. I don't think I'm being controversial or anything. 99.9% of the time I don't post on Urban about TV programmes I've been impressed or unimpressed by. Only if there's a thread, or if I'm pressed by people to watch something (which latter circumstance I think has only been the Wire).

I am hoping to enjoy Breaking Bad though. I've always wanted to see it since I found out it was the dad from Malcolm in the Middle.

Whereas The Wire is a kind of fat Russian novel about life and society and stuff, Breaking Bad is more of a Victorian potboiler, albeit a very entertaining one.

breaking bad lost it for me when I realised circumstance had turned Walter into a right cunt, but then he lets that girl choke. Line. After that? pfft. couldn't really vibe on it anymore
Thanks for the the spoiler :mad: ;)

I've found him to be a cunt from the start, that's one of the reasons it doesn't quite work for me.

I'm sure it isn't. I don't think I'm being controversial or anything. 99.9% of the time I don't post on Urban about TV programmes I've been impressed or unimpressed by. Only if there's a thread, or if I'm pressed by people to watch something (which latter circumstance I think has only been the Wire).

I am hoping to enjoy Breaking Bad though. I've always wanted to see it since I found out it was the dad from Malcolm in the Middle.
He's very different, I didn't realise it was him until I looked it up!

FWIW, I tried watching the wire, found it boring and try hard.

I've also tried watching cracker, now that is proper shit.

Breaking bad was very good, but then became to drawn out at the end.

One of the great redeeming moments of the whole programme is when he admits that he was a murdering drug lord because he enjoyed it, because he was good at it.

Thanks for the the spoiler :mad: ;)

I've found him to be a cunt from the start, that's one of the reasons it doesn't quite work for me.
there was good, of a kind ( a rather 'my faahmily more important than everyone else' way) in walter, at the beggining. You can even accept what he's doing to society with his product as the act of a good man driven to bad deed by a fucked up capitalist society. But that bit, that was jus....you'd need to know the story to know why it marks his true turn to a dark path

Breaking bad was very good, but then became to drawn out at the end.
I thought that the last series was actually a bit rushed. Either that or it should have ended sooner, but the way it was done fell a bit between two stools.

I thought that the last series was actually a bit rushed. Either that or it should have ended sooner, but the way it was done fell a bit between two stools.

My view too, it should have just finished earlier.

I still think SOA has been my favourite series (well American Series) to date.

Back
Top Bottom