Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

T2: Trainspotting sequel (as in Welsh's one)

so I went to watch this at the cinema house and was not dissapointed, problem was it was late o'clock so I don't remember fuck all of it. 12.50 down the shitter. I mean I enjoyed watching it but around 20 mins in, je suis fatigue. Wanted to go earlier but circumstances conspired asginst me. will d/l

I only just remembered I went to see this on Wednesday night when I saw this thread title. Don't remember anything after the opening credits (was that fat white family?).

I was pissed as fuck by the time I rolled into the ritzy at 6.30 and carried on my downward spiral from there with the assistance of a bottle of some foul 'chardonnay'. I'm sure it was a good film tho. But yes, £14 quid or so down the pisser.

You're all off your collective nuts.

This was pretty much a unique sequel - huge time gap, evolved characters and totally different premise.

But yeah, keep banging on about the "choose life" thing

Thing i really appreciated is it worked in the ages / evolution of the characters and the passage of time into a story which took that into account - whereas most sequels simply ignore any changes and press the reset button. (Tell me about the PTSD Iron Man has....oh, it magically gets wiped away between movies!)

And a completely different, yet logical, sensical premise.

Well, this is where George Lucas' Prequels get short shrift ; if you look at them from a story point of view, Each of them has a completely different throughline of events. A lot of people don't like them, but - at least they are each telling their own story and not just a retread of the films in the franchise before it. (Unlike JJ's "Force Awakens", which is essentially the exact same premise as ANH.) I'm not a prequel apologist, but there is no way those films are the same story told with different actors.

Saw T2 at the weekend, and tbh I was not enamoured. The first Trainspotting I love, and have rewatched several times. This one, it seemed to jump about a lot, get going with one thread and then jump to something else. I didn't really enjoy how it referenced the original so much, I'd have preferred if there weren't the flashbacks or re-running some of the original scenes like the walk in the Highlands (although some of the musical reprieves were nostalgic in a nice way). There was a weary 'living in the past' feeling about it. I expected it to be more original, and less reliving 'glory days'. Shame Kelly McDonald only featured briefly, I like her. I suppose Spud's character was the best thing, but the idea of him writing the story of the original film, I didn't find that convincing. Nor the 'friendship' between Renton and Sick Boy, were they really that good friends back in the day? It didn't have the energy of the original, but then I suppose they're all 20 years older... but to me it had a very tired feel to it. Probably I'll watch it again on a small screen, might enjoy it more than at the cinema, I'm not that much a fan of big screens.

I saw this at the weekend as well, after re-watching the original recently.

My boring and predictable verdict was 'really good, but not as good as the original'.

I loved the scene in the Protestant social club, which was genuinely hilarious, and thought the film had a poignant feel about it in some parts. I thought the end credits, where the tower blocks were shown being demolished, really worked in that sense.

Two things.

Sick Boy's shoes - I know he was meant to be a pimp but, the fuck?

The bit at the end where Renton is in his old bedroom and it stretches and stretches into an unending corridor - gave me the claustrophobic creeps!

I really liked that scene. It was like the opposite of the scene in the first one where he sinks into the floor when he's OD-ing with Lou Reed in the background.

I hated that scene. Not the idea of it - it is a perfect thematic ending, but the execution of it...the way it went on and on and on - that felt like "yes, we get the point, NOW KEEP SHOWING IT US OVER AND OVER AND OVER"... It went on way too long and hammered home the point with the subtlety of a nuclear war. That didn't need to be so overlong.

Once the point is made, cut to black. Let you sink in with your own emotions, rather than dragging it on until it is overkill. The point was made. Way TOO fucking long.

Sorry, that last shot really annoyed me. Not the shot - the length. Imagine if the closing shot of train in "North by Northwest" just looped over and over for two minutes, and you get my point.

The photographic treatment of the end credits with all the video fx over the tower blocks? I liked the idea , but the execution sucked. made it look like some sort of abstract, wanky rave music video, and completely removed the power of the full circle of Spud getting his life and home back together...only to have it taken away from him and him forced out

The film has only just made it to New Zealand and I went to see it last night. I enjoyed it very much but I don't think it would stand alone very well. The whole audience was "of a certain age" and I heard some younger folk in the foyer beforehand saying "Trainspotting? What's that?".

I think I enjoued it because I love all the actors - particularly Ewan Bremner who is just awesome - and also because it felt like catching up with old friends. It was great to see Irvine but by god does he look old now!

I agree with what others have said about it feeling very bitty - lots of scenes didn't go anywhere. I loved all the references to the original - which again doesn't let it stand up on it's own but perhaps it's not meant to. It's whole purpose is precisely to catch up with old friends.

I felt a huge cultural divide as I laughed a lot more than the other audience members

I just saw this for the first time. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as the original - or at least make me feel how the original did (basically just to go fucking nuts and cane it no matter what for as long as possible). But I feel very "meh" about it. It was stylish, had some funny bits and a few affecting bits. The bit with Spud stood in the middle of the early morning sunlit Edinburgh street watching his past scamper by him while some slow Born Slippy chords played was genuinely moving, got a bit of a lump in my throat, especially now I'm at the age where stuff like that happens to me from time to time. But I just felt overall the film was bitty, and far too unbelievable (in its world, obvs - crawling into a toilet in the first one felt less unlikely than several moments in T2 which simply involved people talking to one another).

So yeah, I'm glad I only rented it for the night and didn't buy it. 6.5 out of 10 for me.

ahhhhh i watched this recently, the born slippy chords was deffo a moment :cool:

i thought the end scenes were evoking blood travelling through veins, life, revival, that kinda artistic shit to reverse the initial scenes of the first and to mirror the imagery of the heroin bring drained from the syringe

ql0pcYku.jpg

Finally watch it as thought I'd be disappointed as the film was so different to the book by reports.

Good movie, Boyle changed it into a nice bit of closer to the characters..

Still a Shame we did not get to see juice Terry and the glue guys on the screen mind

:)

Last edited:
The screenplay was a wholesale change from the books but good nonetheless, especially the tie-in with spud becoming Irvine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom