Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

I think it’s a surprisingly adroit move by Sunak. Cameron is the last Tory PM that was actually quite popular with everyday non-membership South-Eastern Tories. Call-me Dave, I’m-socially-liberal-not-nasty — he’s never going to win round Labour voters or retain the Boris voters but he might help Sunak avoid haemorrhaging the Home Counties because he’s the Tory version of the opposite of Braverman (who is hates by the economically conservative but socially liberal South-East).
Tend to agree, appointing piggy wiggly is a kind of pre-johnson reset.

If I'm going to be taken to task for what I said please have the grace to address what I actually said, which was that I felt it more likely rs would paint his bottom blue and twerk round Westminster. I didn't rule out its happening.

You are disappointing me more and more :confused:. We're all keyboard warriors to a greater or lesser extent on this forum, but if we're dissing it out we should all have the grace to take it when we are wrong. Otherwise, we're like the Lib Dems and can say whatever we like knowing we'll never be called to account. Why is it so difficult to hold your hands up and say it?

I think we're all veterans of watching politics on this forum and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything as desperate as bringing back an ex-MP who isn't even in the Lords as a Cabinet member.
I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I'm still not sure it's quite as desperate as bringing back an ex-Home Secretary who was such a disaster she didn't manage to make it through the entirety of the Truss government.

You are disappointing me more and more :confused:. We're all keyboard warriors to a greater or lesser extent on this forum, but if we're dissing it out we should all have the grace to take it when we are wrong. Otherwise, we're like the Lib Dems and can say whatever we like knowing we'll never be called to account. Why is it so difficult to hold your hands up and say it?
i have taken it when i was wrong. i have admitted i didn't see this coming. i have thanked for the correction on elevation to the house of lords. i don't know what more you want me to say.

And elevated to the Lords.

Well that is not without precedent. Brown did the same with Madelson iirc. It's happened in the past. I am obviously sceptical about it because like them or loathe them MPs were actually elected via some kind of process. Not just technocrats bused in.

Cameron for sure has more international clout and contacts though (maybe with Biden too?) than the rest of the cabinet. That's why he's back in.. with things kicking off in the middle east. Even though they hate him.. they are admitting they are out of their depth.

Well that is not without precedent. Brown did the same with Madelson iirc. It's happened in the past. I am obviously sceptical about it because like them or loathe them MPs were actually elected via some kind of process. Not just technocrats bused in.

Cameron for sure has more international clout and contacts though (maybe with Biden too?) than the rest of the cabinet. That's why he's back in.. with things kicking off in the middle east. Even though they hate him.. they are admitting they are out of their depth.
It is without precedent for a former pm who departed number 10 in high dudgeon, who none of his successors previously thought even worthy of a knighthood, who has at best rather flexible morals to return to politics in such a way. After the way the tory party has moved so far away from Europe its a great surprise to see a remainer promoted from nowhere to be foreign secretary. And it'll play poorly with large sections both of the parliamentary party and the membership. Sure, they're admitting they're out of their depth. But Cameron foundered through much of his premiership and his foreign policy was utterly abysmal, playing a significant role in promoting the creation of the migrant crisis of recent years and and his almost unbelievably crap negotiation with the eu in the run-up to the referendum. If Cameron is the answer they must be asking the wrong question.

The irony!

It is without precedent for a former pm who departed number 10 in high dudgeon, who none of his successors previously thought even worthy of a knighthood, who has at best rather flexible morals to return to politics in such a way. After the way the tory party has moved so far away from Europe its a great surprise to see a remainer promoted from nowhere to be foreign secretary. And it'll play poorly with large sections both of the parliamentary party and the membership. Sure, they're admitting they're out of their depth. But Cameron foundered through much of his premiership and his foreign policy was utterly abysmal, playing a significant role in promoting the creation of the migrant crisis of recent years and and his almost unbelievably crap negotiation with the eu in the run-up to the referendum. If Cameron is the answer they must be asking the wrong question.
Back in the day he properly upped himself re NI too*, a factor in Sunak's decision making given SB was utterly clueless about Ireland AT ALL.

*Yeah, I know he was shit but presumably it'll throw a bone to the DUP in the aftermath of SB fucking that right up as well.

Back
Top Bottom