Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

I'm surprised Sunak asked John Major to come back out retirement. Or perhaps he has and Major told him to fuck off :D

It doesn't matter what we may think of Cameron, assuming none none of you are considering voting Tory. This looks like a clear attempt to detoxify ahead of a GE. Though I think that will most likely called late 2024. Sunak can probably see there's not much to be gained by trying to keep the lunatics on side now. Sensible, stable blah, blah.

It doesn't matter what we may think of Cameron, assuming none none of you are considering voting Tory. This looks like a clear attempt to detoxify ahead of a GE. Though I think that will most likely called late 2024. Sunak can probably see there's not much to be gained by trying to keep the lunatics on side now. Sensible, stable blah, blah.
I think the GE will be in Spring, get through Christmas without any more crisis shite, people feel more optimistic in a new year - maybe March? 6 week campaign from middle of Jan. Disco Dave was probably quite happy to get the gig for a few months - get more juicy contacts .

I think the GE will be in Spring, get through Christmas without any more crisis shite, people feel more optimistic in a new year - maybe March? 6 week campaign from middle of Jan. Disco Dave was probably quite happy to get the gig for a few months - get more juicy contacts .
It’ll be May, to combine with local and mayoral elections.

That’s a fair shout, he has the advantage of being a relative clean skin, and he was far better at the media / photo op stuff than his successors (not a huge challenge tbf)

I think the only nice thing anybody can say about Braverman is that she was too useless to really achieve anything. What in terms of policy did Braverman actually achieve? As Home Secretary, her two flagship policies - the Rwanda plan and the anti-protest laws - had already been set in motion by her predecessor. The Rwanda policy has been a dismal failure on its own terms, it's cost a fortune and hasn't resulted in a single deportation to Rwanda. Even if it survives the Supreme Court of Wednesday it's still subject to review by Strasbourg, it's all but dead in the water. In the end, all she really did was embolden the far right, but in ways that also undermined them - their predictably idiotic Cenotaph riot will repel the wider public.

So in a way, I guess, thanks Suella, your hamfisted attempted at rightwing populism merely served to highlight its dangers to the wider public. You've thrown the tories in to disarray and the far right riot you inspired showed everyone what a true 'hate march' looks like. Now, don't slam the door on your way out.

Back
Top Bottom