Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

For me the term tends towards the technocratic and raising professional/upper middle class experiences over others.
Yeah, I can understand that. Dunno if it makes a difference, but for me, by "qualified" I just mean "actually knows what they're bloody talking about", or at the very least is both able and willing to learn.

Like, I dunno, it'd be nice to have a 'Brexit Secretary' who understands the importance of the Dover-Calais route to UK trade, or a Culture Secretary who knows that Channel 4 isn't publicly funded.

I'm certainly not talking about formal qualifications or 'owt. I'd generally think it's preferable for ministers to have some kind of practical experience in the area of their portfolio, but obviously I accept, due to the nature of representative democracy, that there's no guarantee that you'll get a complete set from what the public, in their infinite wisdom ( ;) ), give you to work with.

I’ll calling it: Braverman’s sacking will take place today, or tomorrow at the absolute latest. The Supreme Court is handing down its Rwanda ruling on Weds, Sunak won’t want to sack Braverman after that, because if the government lose, it’ll look like he’s scapegoating her for a policy he backed. The gov can’t keep somebody the police said this about:

I’ll calling it: Braverman’s sacking will take place today, or tomorrow at the absolute latest. The Supreme Court is handing down its Rwanda ruling on Weds, Sunak won’t want to sack Braverman after that, because if the government lose, it’ll look like he’s scapegoating her for a policy he backed. The gov can’t keep somebody the police said this about:

I agree, but would also add, if the government wins on Wed it's going to be hard to sack her for being successful with that policy.

Whilst Braverman is popular amongst the membership, I've not been convinced that she's popular with Tory voters, they tend to be more moderate than the membership, so I am not surprised to read this from the LibDems.

Danny Chambers, who will fight for the Conservative ultra-marginal seat of Winchester, said sentiments about Braverman were so intense that some voters whose homes were near what will be her new seat under boundary changes were delighted to learn she will not be their MP. Chambers said a recent canvassing trip to a village on the edge of the two constituencies left him thinking Braverman was “one of our best recruiting tools”.

“Door after door there were people who thought they were going to have Braverman as their next MP and they were just over the moon to hear they weren’t,” he said. “One guy even shouted up to his wife to come down to talk to us, for me to tell her again.

“These are proper Tory villages, and they’re really pleased to see us. It’s mainly because of Braverman. They just find her completely distasteful.”

So, Sunak has 'complete confidence' in Braverman, so gone by Monday?

It's so predictable what's coming down the line when the 'complete confidence' words are put out.

I can't see her getting sacked tbh. Sunak's desperate not to recreate the endless merry-go-round of senior ministers from Johnson's tenure. Moral bankruptcy and endless failure aren't things that bother him. If they were, he'd not have appointed Braverman in the first place. She'd already lost one front bench job by being unable to do even the most basic shit properly, she was a known crank and an obvious liability. Sunak still gave her the job.

You were saying?

Bring the endless merry-go-round on. :D

Back
Top Bottom