Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

What does she think she is going to achieve? It is becoming more and more apparent that people don't want these far-right policies. Her and her fellow travellers' ideology of hate and division seems to have blinded them to what the people want. Somewhere between 300,000 and 800,000 marched yesterday, and looking at the crowd pictures, the marchers are a mix of all ages and cultures. I'm a pessimist, but I'm starting to think the Tories are fucked.

I do wonder if there are some, and possibly Braverman is among them, for whom the intensity of support is, unconsciously or not, more important to them than the quantity.

Those who don't just want votes, they want the adoration and hero-worship.

Or, at the very least, they get seduced enough by the latter to sabotage the former.

Thing is the universe hasn't exactly been teaching her that she has the wrong approach. Despite a lack of any discernible abilities (beyond bullshitting), she's managed to stumble up to the position of Home Secretary.

Thing is the universe hasn't exactly been teaching her that she has the wrong approach. Despite a lack of any discernible abilities (beyond bullshitting), she's managed to stumble up to the position of Home Secretary.
It's one of the main things that has annoyed me about the past decade or so of politics.

Not only have they not been punished for being grossly underqualified and over-cuntish, they've been rewarded for it. And they haven't just been afforded some small dominion of cultish power like Kilroy or Galloway, or even Farage, they've been given some of the most powerful positions going.

So it validates them to just keep doing it, nothing telling them to change their ways, and meanwhile all the way down the food chain others are seeing it and thinking that's how you behave to get what you want.

Their fetid influence spews out in all directions :(

It's one of the main things that has annoyed me about the past decade or so of politics.

Not only have they not been punished for being grossly underqualified and over-cuntish, they've been rewarded for it. And they haven't just been afforded some small dominion of cultish power like Kilroy or Galloway, or even Farage, they've been given some of the most powerful positions going.

So it validates them to just keep doing it, nothing telling them to change their ways, and meanwhile all the way down the food chain others are seeing it and thinking that's how you behave to get what you want.

The real trouble is that they're all perfectly 'qualified' enough, by dint of their unquestioning ideological adherence, to implement policies that promote the acceleration of neoliberal trends. That's why they've retained their power.

Braverman is of course fairly incompetent and staggeringly stupid on some issues. How someone who has been a barrister and mp could be unaware of even the most basic issues in NI politics is, well, staggering. And there are a few other dullard in recent crop, patel, Williamson etc. But I'm not keen on the idea of the 'qualified' politician. And they are not hideous because of their competence, its the neoliberalism, the racism, the classis and all the rest.

Sorry, statement of the obvious. :oops:

Last edited:
Ok, point taken.
As a Jewish person, I sort of like Suella Braverman. I feel she sympathises. Many Jewish people disagree with me. Most British Jews vote Labour.
I’ll probably regret replying to what looks suspiciously like trolling...but I’m intrigued to see Braverman described as sympathetic. What examples could you offer that might demonstrate her capacity for sympathy?

A lot of them started off in this vein by being born to wealthy parents and attending public schools - those things pretty much drum into people of their class that they are born to become powerful.
It's no surprise really that a lot of them go through most of their adult lives just assuming that they will have power whatever (and by power, I don't just mean in terms of a political career - but also in law, business etc.)

What would your actual point be here? That you sort of like Stella? That many Jewish people disagree with you? (Any idea just how many, by the way?). That most British Jews vote Labour? (Not according to Wikipedia). And what has your being Jewish got to do with any of that?

Honestly, I quite like Stella. And Carlsberg. Maybe this is one for the unpopular opinions thread but I genuinely don't mind a bog-standard lager.

No offence Kevbad, couldn't resist. :D

Braverman is of course fairly incompetent and staggeringly stupid on some issues. How someone who has been a barrister and mp could be unaware of even the most basic issues in NI politics is, well, staggering. And there are a few other dullard in recent crop, patel, Williamson etc. But I'm not keen on the idea of the 'qualified' politician. And they are not hideous because of their competence, its the neoliberalism, the racism, the classis and all the rest.

It doesn't take that much nous to become an MP.

And her barrister status might best be described as "nominal". She only became a QC when she was made attorney general - it's a title that goes with the role, not (at least in her case) one earned on merit.

ETA: to be fair, she had already qualified as a lawyer, but by all accounts wasn't exactly stellar material.

Last edited:
Braverman is of course fairly incompetent and staggeringly stupid on some issues. How someone who has been a barrister and mp could be unaware of even the most basic issues in NI politics is, well, staggering. And there are a few other dullard in recent crop, patel, Williamson etc. But I'm not keen on the idea of the 'qualified' politician. And this are not hideous because of their competence, its the neoliberalism, the racism, the classis and all the rest.

Oh, of course, but I feel like it's part of their hideousness, at the very least both in terms of why it's there and, as I said, the message it sends to the rest of society.

What is it about the 'qualified politician' idea that you're not keen on?

It doesn't take that much nous to become an MP.

And her barrister status might best be described as "nominal". She only became a QC when she was made attorney general - it's a title that goes with the role, not (at least in her case) one earned on merit.
Cheers, that explains something that had puzzled me (how she'd got to be KC with only a bit of lowly lawyering in a govt department).

Oh, of course, but I feel like it's part of their hideousness, at the very least both in terms of why it's there and, as I said, the message it sends to the rest of society.

What is it about the 'qualified politician' idea that you're not keen on?
For me the term tends towards the technocratic and raising professional/upper middle class experiences over others.

hmm

with a very few exceptions, i'd say that wanting to be an MP should immediately disqualify you from the job...
Yes, the best people are often the people who do not apply. (I speak of the Labour Party). There are some dedicted activists and campaigners who would make good MPs who would never think of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom