Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

This story seems to be the lead on most of the front pages this morning, including this from the Mail
1699591490890.png

The headline in the Daily Mail carries a warning to Mr Sunak from MPs on the right of his party. "Come for Suella and you come for us all," it reads. The paper calls Downing Street's confirmation on Thursday that it had not authorised the article a "rare public rebuke" and says Mr Sunak spent the day "locked in talks with his closest advisers" about whether to remove Ms Braverman.

And this from the Star

1699591685254.png

The star seems to have upped its game the last few years

When the publisher of the Daily Mirror took over the Daily Express and Daily Star in 2018, the editors' of both resigned, despite assurances the rags would remain editorially independent.

I've read that the new editor of the Daily Star continues to mainly focus on celebrity trivia and sports, keeps it fairly apolitical, but he's gone full out on satire for the front pages, and his team has produced some real gems, because there's been so much material to work with in the last few years. .

This story seems to be the lead on most of the front pages this morning, including this from the Mail
View attachment 399367

The headline in the Daily Mail carries a warning to Mr Sunak from MPs on the right of his party. "Come for Suella and you come for us all," it reads. The paper calls Downing Street's confirmation on Thursday that it had not authorised the article a "rare public rebuke" and says Mr Sunak spent the day "locked in talks with his closest advisers" about whether to remove Ms Braverman.

And this from the Star

View attachment 399368
The fail headline bears out what I've seen said before and which I agree with, that Braverman is the price that Sunak had to pay for the prime ministership to the far right headbangers in the party. You have to have her or we're not backing you.

View attachment 399367

And this from the Star

View attachment 399368
How long have we got until a General Election? Less than a year? And the Tories are doing this to themselves. They used to be good at presenting a united front - those days seem loooong gone.

Enjoyable as that is, it says a lot that they're tearing themselves apart over a Minister who's too nasty for the Nasty Party, even. It's grim stuff really.

How long have we got until a General Election? Less than a year? And the Tories are doing this to themselves. They used to be good at presenting a united front - those days seem loooong gone.

Enjoyable as that is, it says a lot that they're tearing themselves apart over a Minister who's too nasty for the Nasty Party, even. It's grim stuff really.

The last GE was Thursday 12 December 2019, so if they go right to the wire it could be just over a year, but I'm sure they won't want to leave it that long.

By the time of the 1997 GE they were in a similar state, but they were also up against a far more charismatic Leader of the Opposition than there is now, so who knows...

The last GE was Thursday 12 December 2019, so if they go right to the wire it could be just over a year, but I'm sure they won't want to leave it that long.

It could actually be as late as 28th Jan. 2025,

The 17 December 2024 is exactly five years since parliament first met after the last general election, in 2019. If an election has not been called by this point, parliament would be automatically dissolved and the election would take place 25 working days later. This means the latest date for the next general election is 28 January 2025

It could actually be as late as 28th Jan. 2025,

I wasn't aware of that, but
  1. that still counts as "just over a year" rather than "less than a year"
  2. as I said already I'm sure they won't want to leave it that long
In further developments this morning

Conservative MP Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, who is treasurer of the influential 1922 Committee representing backbenchers, said it was "unwise" for the home secretary to write a Times article setting out her views on the protests. Sir Geoffrey told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the prime minister will need to have a "very serious conversation" with Ms Braverman as the situation needs to be calmed down rather than "riled up". If Ms Braverman cannot accept this, then Sir Geoffrey hinted it would be up to Mr Sunak whether to reshuffle his cabinet. "I think we cannot carry on as we are," he added.

She has to go, she is literally saying any old shit and she's fully capable of saying something that could, for example, be horrendously dangerous to the Muslim community.

I find it interesting that after Wednesday's breathless Cenotaph hysteria, the Mail hasn't led with daily speculation about tomorrow's march, which leads me to suspect that someone from no.10 has called them up and had a word not to in case it causes something to happen the makes them look even worse.

She has to go, she is literally saying any old shit and she's fully capable of saying something that could, for example, be horrendously dangerous to the Muslim community.

I find it interesting that after Wednesday's breathless Cenotaph hysteria, the Mail hasn't led with daily speculation about tomorrow's march, which leads me to suspect that someone from no.10 has called them up and had a word not to in case it causes something to happen the makes them look even worse.
Guardian is saying that No.10 let it be known to the Times that rat-boy is waiting until Wednesday's supreme court ruling on Rwanda before he gives her the heave ho.

Everyone's suggesting she's making a bid for leadership, but she didn't stand in the last two contests. Why might that be? Is it:

a) She's a fucking coward
b) She's an opportunistic vindictive coward

or

c) the actor Kevin Eldon.

Outrageous! She was a brave and fearless woman who overcame both her abusive husband and her alcoholism to be the head a a Fortune 500 company. Should be an inspiration for someone like Braverman.
Does this end with us waking to Boris in the shower? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom