Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

think are pretty fucked when it the catholic side defending the protestants and little orange men hateful little marches against the conservative party

:D

anyways this is all fun from one side of things watch this play out to the little fuckbag below

09qx8je92azb1.jpeg

zsrcx7gy28zb1.png

:D

Reminds me of the NI secretary that had to have it explained to her about the political divisions for voting in NI.

As an Irish person living in england it never ceases to amaze me how poorly informed British people in general are about the NI situation, (present company mostly excepted). I don't blame them at all, I blame the education system and the media. Politicians have no such excuse but the current crop is so fucking ignorant, Gullis, Anderson, Braverman et al.

I do have a foot in both camps as I have lived here most of my life and mum is Scottish, now naturalised Irish citizen, so I am more London Irish than jackeen but Dublin is, ultimately, home.

My dad has a particular gripe with the Guardian as they are invariably shit on Ireland and should be better at it in his opinion.

However, quote from Graun, sorry dad! :D

"Karen Bradley has admitted that before becoming Northern Ireland secretary she was profoundly ignorant of the country’s political divisions and “slightly scared” of the place.

She said she was unaware that nationalists did not vote for unionists and that unionists did not vote for nationalists – the most elementary fact about Northern Ireland politics."

Reminds me of the NI secretary that had to have it explained to her about the political divisions for voting in NI.

As an Irish person living in england it never ceases to amaze me how poorly informed British people in general are about the NI situation, (present company mostly excepted). I don't blame them at all, I blame the education system and the media. Politicians have no such excuse but the current crop is so fucking ignorant, Gullis, Anderson, Braverman et al.

I do have a foot in both camps as I have lived here most of my life and mum is Scottish, now naturalised Irish citizen, so I am more London Irish than jackeen but Dublin is, ultimately, home.

My dad has a particular gripe with the Guardian as they are invariably shit on Ireland and should be better at it in his opinion.

"Karen Bradley has admitted that before becoming Northern Ireland secretary she was profoundly ignorant of the country’s political divisions and “slightly scared” of the place.

She said she was unaware that nationalists did not vote for unionists and that unionists did not vote for nationalists – the most elementary fact about Northern Ireland politics."
Unlike Raab probably understood importance of Dover/Calais trade though.

In what way is Braverman a weak character who is afraid of challenging Sunak?
I didn't say she was afraid of challenging him. She doesn't have the political capability/base. She's got nothing but a culture war that only really excites about 15% of the electorate, if I remember the polls correctly, all of whom vote Tory anyway except when they voted UKIP. And I don't see her having many supporters in the parliamentary party. You rarely see anyone come out to defend her. She has no base apart from culture warriors who can tolerate people who aren't white, and who knows what percentage of them that is - I wouldn't want to bet my political career on that group.

I can't see her getting sacked tbh. Sunak's desperate not to recreate the endless merry-go-round of senior ministers from Johnson's tenure. Moral bankruptcy and endless failure aren't things that bother him. If they were, he'd not have appointed Braverman in the first place. She'd already lost one front bench job by being unable to do even the most basic shit properly, she was a known crank and an obvious liability. Sunak still gave her the job.

I see what you mean but I think there's so much Tory pressure and bitching about her she will likely be gone in a week. I guess it just depends if Sunak thinks he will look weaker keeping her or getting rid of her...

I am chuckling. How can someone not know the basic sectarian voting pattern in Northern Ireland?

You'd be surprised. During my time in the UK, met a fair few who didn't know the difference between unionists and nationalists. Some thought Ireland is part of the UK. One colleague even tried to tell me that Elizabeth was "your Queen as well".
Yes, but were these people Members of Parliament?

It seems to me that anyone who is paid to be involved in making political decisions for the UK ought to know the basics of voting patterns in the UK.
If they are this ignorant about a part of the UK, is it any wonder that they have such obnoxious views about the Gaza Strip?

Yes, but were these people Members of Parliament?

It seems to me that anyone who is paid to be involved in making political decisions for the UK ought to know the basics of voting patterns in the UK.
If they are this ignorant about a part of the UK, is it any wonder that they have such obnoxious views about the Gaza Strip?

Quite possibly. Anyway, at this stage the occupied 6 counties have a stronger chance of freedom than Gaza. There's plenty of Irish who don't recognise the British state in NI as legitimate, and Braverman's comments serve as a reminder that the British government has no business there, whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom