Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

For all the Starmer would be better than this, the Labour rights utter capitulation to the logic of these policies is a big part of how they can do this. They'll be wittering on about badly managed the current system is, not that it's barbaric and shameful.

For all the Starmer would be better than this, the Labour rights utter capitulation to the logic of these policies is a big part of how they can do this. They'll be wittering on about badly managed the current system is, not that it's barbaric and shameful.

Funnily enough while Corbyn was leader they never stopped going on about how 'strong opposition' would stop the Tories in their tracks.

She sounds exactly like a Trumpian Republican, hitting all the right notes. It's definitely a leadership pitch.

I remember when it felt like the BNP etc had been defeated. But now look and listen. The policies they wanted, and worse, now being broadcast from the Home Office.
And her message aimed at keeping the support of those old working class stomping grounds that turned tory in 2019.

She's one of the many reasons I think the Tories really have to be stopped, however inadequate the brake might be.

What if that inadequate brake pushes Braverman to the tory leadership then does nothing to counter any of her swivel-eyed bullshit?

Odd that Douglas Murray is a massive transphob given he's now presenting as a woman of ethnic origin and working as home secretary

What if that inadequate brake pushes Braverman to the tory leadership then does nothing to counter any of her swivel-eyed bullshit?
She won't be in government though. Is it really likely the party would actually vote for her to be leader? I mean what's the best case scenario: that sunak wins and shuffles her to the backbenches? Or that Labour put the tories entirely out of power?

As long as she and her ilk have power and influence as government the normalisation of her vile rhetoric continues and possily grows. This to my mind is the real danger of legislation such as the immigration bill. It's not that it will stop the boats, it's that the public will come to regard all those seeking refugee status as criminals. It's that gay people and women, for example from her horrific speech, will be further marginalised. I'm only surprised she didn't explicitly mention trans people.

Folk comment that she herself is a product of multiculturalism. But I think more that she's a product of the ruling class: private school and bourgeois bigotry (eg Brexit). She didn't rise to the top as a shining example of the hard working forelock tugging eternally and inadequately grateful brown migrant, but because of her class and her class connections and her support for its ideology. All in spite of her incompetence disregard for protocol law and proecudre. She just alters the law. Why else does she want to practice or study law?

Braverman is a brilliant example of how an analysis of someone's politics without factoring in class / material conditions is always going to be inadequate.

Interesting. The speech is, it would appear being spun out of all proportion to the people who were actually there:

View attachment 393092

She's still Home Secretary though isn't she. She's dangerous because she's in a position that really does have the power to push the agenda she's talking about, not because of how many people were in the room. If she says similar at the party conference or wherever in front of a big audience does it suddenly matter more?

she's had two chances to stick her head above the parapet and apply for leader, and chose not to for whatever reason. I'ms ure she'd like the job but I don't think she has the courage to apply.

Back
Top Bottom