Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

Leave her in post and she'll do something even stupider and/or more illegal soon enough, something that'll bury her for good. Most Tories think speed limits and the whole concept of not driving like a cunt are a load of woke bullshit anyway.

NEW, apparently she has contacts in Rwanda and and didnt reveal it... Tick tock indeed.

Honestly thought it would be a bit more than 24 hours before I was proved right on this one.

But not very much more. I say this with sadness rather than as a joke, but a maximum of 48 hours was about as long as it was ever going to be in her case. And it’ll be amazing if we get through another 48 hours without either something new, or an intensification of something from her already known back catalogue.

But not very much more. I say this with sadness rather than as a joke, but a maximum of 48 hours was about as long as it was ever going to be in her case. And it’ll be amazing if we get through another 48 hours without either something new, or an intensification of something from her already known back catalogue.
Why 'with sadness'? On what basis does this woman deserve compassion?

This seems like a pretty massive abandonment of the whole small boats thing.

No ethical conversion, just a change of tack to dispatch as many vulnerable people as they can (with a fanfare of publicity) while downplaying the majority of boat arrivals who have legitimate cases in international law. While sitting on barges with no money.

Fuck these pound-shop fascists.

No ethical beliefs to begin with.

But they do seem to have u-turned on the central thing of small boat arrivals being barred from asylum claims.

Wonder what enormous news story they are expecting to come along to drown it out.
Yes, it is significant. I think especially about how they sell this to their red meat base.

In terms of drowning shit out, there are just so many scenarios right now...

Meanwhile, there's also this dirty business

Last year Turkey said it “turned back” 238,448 migrants at its eastern border with Iran. Video evidence seen by the Guardian shows cases of extreme violence and force used against Afghan migrants attempting to cross the border into Turkey. This includes the authorities firing live bullet rounds as people flee, including at the feet of children; beatings using rifle butts; robberies; humiliation tactics and pushing people back to the other side of the border.

Why 'with sadness'? On what basis does this woman deserve compassion?
With sadness because we’re stuck with her as HS for now. I’m sad about it. I’m sad that she can’t go a day without wrecking more lives. Where did you think I was speaking for compassion for her? I was speaking with compassion for everyone who has to deal with the mounting consequences of her. I’m sad that there are fresh examples so frequently. In that post, I was expressing sadness that not much more than a day can pass without another horror either devised or coming to light.

But they do seem to have u-turned on the central thing of small boat arrivals being barred from asylum claims.

Wonder what enormous news story they are expecting to come along to drown it out.
David Attenborough's coke and whore nights?

Turns out Boris Johnson misled Parliament ...who'd have thunk it

You're only allowed to make that wager if you're willing to double it if they haven't.

I'm too drunk to do math, but are you suggesting that if the next series of Blue Planet turns out to be bluer than anyone expected I have to arrange drugs and prostitutes for a national treasure?

I was half-watching/listening an interview with Marine Le Pen earlier following the horrific knife attack at Annecy by a Syrian and it was shocking to realise that she superficially sounded a lot more pragmatic about asylum - certainly no "Rwanda" or "barges" ...
But then she's a politician still needing to look like presidential material for 4 years' time ..
The current batch of Tories are very much more like the insane GOP in the USA...

And good luck to them. However, I wonder about the extent that things which pass through parliament can be considered opposed to the will of Parliament - while liberty make some good points this seems to me potentially something of a flaw in their argument
The issue is whether it was correct for the Government to use an SI to reintroduce parts of the Bill which had been defeated in the Commons. It's going to be heaven for lawyers because it's very 'into the weeds' as American podcasts are so fond of saying.

The issue is whether it was correct for the Government to use an SI to reintroduce parts of the Bill which had been defeated in the Commons. It's going to be heaven for lawyers because it's very 'into the weeds' as American podcasts are so fond of saying.
Yes. But the court may take the view that the argument about the will of Parliament is null on things which have been placed before the houses of Parliament and not been rejected.

Interesting take here from David Allen Green
snip
In essence, the argument is that – notwithstanding the parliamentary approval – the statutory instrument is outside the scope of the relevant provisions of the Public Order Act 1986.

Liberty seems to have a good point, but any challenge to secondary legislation is legally difficult and it is rare that any such challenge ever succeeds.

Back
Top Bottom