Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

I haven't really followed this, but I'm guessing the 'rich people's one to one' course was also a way of trying to keep the whole thing secret? Plus, the idea that she got (or tried to get) departmental officials to sort this for her - ordering your work subordinates to sort out a private criminal justice issue - all of that should certainly mean she should go. And when you factor in she's a loathsome scumbag...

She was fucking stupid to ask for it yes. I can objectively understand why in terms of people recording it, but the optics are terrible. I'd go the opposite way and publicise it, pointing out the dangers of speeding, hold her hands up. Make political capital. Not try to cover it up.

Get ahead of the story, first lesson in PR
That's what Mr Loophole thinks too. Mind you, he has a living to make:
“My own view is that if you commit an offence of speeding or any offence, it’s a private matter and you should deal with it on a private basis and you shouldn’t be using tax-funded employees to help you out with that private problem.”
He added: “She’s the author of her own misfortune; one for speeding, two for speaking to civil servants about arranging the course, three for not getting a lawyer to deal with it for her and four for not coming out straight away and holding her hands up.”

... and because I've just realised that anagram generators are a thing, my teenage self has to say anal bum reversal.

Right, I've said it.
Oh and with regard to the Home Secretary's recent speech at the loon conference, verbal anal serum.

Right, that's probably enough from me.

I suspect braverman staying in the fold will create the biggest rift, what with her extreme politics, her bid for leadership and now her lawbreaking and attempt to cover it up.

Leave her in post and she'll do something even stupider and/or more illegal soon enough, something that'll bury her for good. Most Tories think speed limits and the whole concept of not driving like a cunt are a load of woke bullshit anyway.

Last edited:
Leave her in post and she'll do something even stupider and more illegal soon enough, something that'll bury her for good. Most Tories think speed limits and the whole concept of not driving like a cunt are a load of woke bullshit anyway.
Seem to remember some Tory floating the idea of increasing the speed limit as an election pledge. Presumably dropped in the cold light of sanity.

Edit: apparently it was philip hammond back in 2011.

She was fucking stupid to ask for it yes. I can objectively understand why in terms of people recording it, but the optics are terrible. I'd go the opposite way and publicise it, pointing out the dangers of speeding, hold her hands up. Make political capital. Not try to cover it up.
On this, I just read that these speed awareness courses are usually for minor offences, say 35 in a 30 zone (though conditions vary by police force area). As you say, it was the perfect opportunity to make both a road safety point along with a 'look, we are subject to the same laws as you' point. However disingenuous this would have been.

And Chris Huhne, well, that level of stupidity defies belief.

On this, I just read that these speed awareness courses are usually for minor offences, say 35 in a 30 zone (though conditions vary by police force area). As you say, it was the perfect opportunity to make both a road safety point along with a 'look, we are subject to the same laws as you' point. However disingenuous this would have been.

And Chris Huhne, well, that level of stupidity defies belief.
She was speeding in a 50 zone, so it would be up to 65 mph according to Mr Loophole.

Where I got a speed awareness course it was because I was doing 79 in a 70.

They said you got 10% over plus 1mph and any more than that and they booked you.

So for me it was 70 plus 7 = 77 plus one 78 while 79 was what I was doing, hence also speed awareness course rather than obligatory points and a fine.

All the people on the course were like me just a bit over the limit. I forget where the upper level was which meant you couldn't do the course but no one on my course was doing much more than me and no one was doing 85 for example.

Last edited:
Iirc
Where I got a speed awareness course it was because I was doing 79 in a 70.

They said you got 10% over plus 1mph and any more than that and they booked you.

So for me it was 70 plus 7 = 77 plus one 78 while 79 was what I was doing, hence also speed awareness course rather than obligatory points and a fine.

All the people on the course were like me just a bit over the limit. I forget where the upper level was which meant you couldn't do the course but no one on my course was doing much more than me and no one was doing 85 for example.
I think it varies by police force but 10% + 9 is often the upper limit. Some forces don't do the courses at all.

Sunak can't afford to increase the number of enemies on the backbenches. The little grouplets of 'traditional ' Conservatives will combine if they need to: they've already got Priti, getting Suella would be a huge advance

Just give an automatic 6 month driving ban for all cases of speeding.

I see no reason why someone getting somewhere a few moments earlier can ever be more important than other people’s safety
What makes you so convinced that the 70mph upper speed limit is objectively the "correct" speed limit to have? How do you feel about the German autobahn?

What makes you so convinced that the 70mph upper speed limit is objectively the "correct" speed limit to have? How do you feel about the German autobahn?
Nothing. It’s not an area I’m an expert in, perhaps the upper limit should be 60 or 50 then. I’ve never driven in Germany so don’t have any feelings about the autobahn.

I might not personally agree with every law in this country, but abiding to the speed limit is not one I can find any quarrel with.

Back
Top Bottom