Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Well rookfest wasn't exactly over-subscribed. But was a lovely afternoon and both Meatraffle and pre-goblin superb - definitely worth £10 (;)).
And beer was only £4 per pint - which is good in London, nevermind in an outdoor event these days

Well rookfest wasn't exactly over-subscribed. But was a lovely afternoon and both Meatraffle and pre-goblin superb - definitely worth £10 (;)).
And beer was only £4 per pint - which is good in London, nevermind in an outdoor event these days
I thought the bill looked great, albeit priced a bit too high for what was on offer, IMO.

Did you take any pics?

Not sure this captures the sheer size of the crowd. This was shortly before there was a request for everyone in the audience to take one step back to avoid crush injuries.
Apologies for the poor quality: it was taken with a phone and I was experiencing challenges to my coordination at this stage

Attachments

• IMG_5177 (1).jpg
    IMG_5177 (1).jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 42
Not sure this captures the sheer size of the crowd. This was shortly before there was a request for everyone in the audience to take one step back to avoid crush injuries.
Apologies for the poor quality: it was taken with a phone and I was experiencing challenges to my coordination at this stage
Blimey that is quiet. Shame. If they'd charged £3 or something they probably would have made more money - or even made it free and hassled for donations. Pregoblin are great, aren't they?

Tbf it was a bit busier at the front once Meatraffle got going - and I loved pre-goblin once I’d got over the surprise of the level of “disco-ness” in the music. Both bands managed to get the punters up on stage.

We can disagree about pricing policy: I still thought it good value and I don’t know if anyone stayed away because of the pricing = suspect it was more due to low profile marketing and no one knowing about it.
Personally I will spread the word and hope to go again. Especially if they have that kind of band (although it may be a bit left field for many potential punters)

I stayed away because of the price, and I found it a bit difficult to find out what was going on.

We just ended up going to Brockwell for a stroll about, but if there had been something on at a fiver, I might have taken a chance on it.

Fair enough - so perhaps pricing was a factor - though we seem aligned re publicity levels

Something has gone down on the high road by the Streatham Hill Sainsbury's/Downton Ave.

There's half a dozen police vehicles, quite a few uniforms and lots of tape marking off the footpath from Sainsbury's to the ave.

A stabbing at Sainsbury's, a disgruntled wanker apparently stabbed a staff member. Luckily the injuries are not life threatening

Hello Streathamites!
I'm shortly joining you from the far off lands of Brixton and will need a new doctor and dentist. Any recommendations? I'll be nearer the Streatham Common end than the Brixton end.
Thanks in advance
SB
ETA I see Valley Road Surgery will be my closest - so any feedback on that would be really helpful

Hello Streathamites!
I'm shortly joining you from the far off lands of Brixton and will need a new doctor and dentist. Any recommendations? I'll be nearer the Streatham Common end than the Brixton end.
Thanks in advance
SB
ETA I see Valley Road Surgery will be my closest - so any feedback on that would be really helpful
I was with the dentist on Prentis Road but changed to the one on Becmead Avenue about 3 years ago. A change for the better. It can take a while to make an appointment but it's worth the wait (they also do emergency same day appointments if need be, of course). More info on the link below. They have 3 dentists these days as James Agar has retired. Saw Maria last time - very patient and informative.

https://streathamdentalcare.co.uk/

Doctors... don't often use them but mine is the one on Palace Road (Streatham Hill end so probably no good for you). Best to go in and wait to be seen first thing on Tues, Weds, Thurs if possible rather than making an advance appointment which can take 1-2 weeks in my experience. Haven't used any others so no comparison to offer.

Incoming vibrancy from the council!

We want to improve Streatham to attract more visitors and inward investment. Our ideas include creating a more diverse town centre, provide workspace to see a vibrant and diverse local economy grow & create healthier streets for everyone. Have your say https://crowd.in/heumtd

Has Saigon Bistro gone? It’s not on Uber eats and they aren’t answering their phones

Closed in July and reopening as VietFusion in August apparently - not sure if it will be same (genuinely Vietnamese) chef.

Thanks... The name Viet Fusion does not fill me with hope I have to say, but I shall reserve judgement!
Hopefully they still offer the 'classics' (Pho, etc) without too much of this fusion nonsense... :hmm:

So you've got me on 'mutual' ignore' which actually doesn't mean 'mutual ignore' it means 'forced ignore' such that you can censor anything that I have to say. Just want to point that out before any bullshit 'you must not speak to me as it's against the rules (determined by you)' comes up. Though you are obviously free to swing your imaginary dick about if you want to.

It is lovely that you've taken the time to have a view on this 38 page document, but 'incoming vibrancy' doesn't really cut it for me. What is your view on this document? Are there any particular bits that you object to? Do you think that Streatham would benefit from any kind pf investment in any way? Do you even understand what is meant by 'investment'? In which case, are you even qualified to comment?

Please have a think about that and maybe turn out a different argument to your usual one (maybe one that is balanced). Let's have some proper debate with the material where you don't get abusive and ban people that don't think like you. That would be pretty cool eh?

So, what do you think?

The document does score quite highly for players of Bullshit Bingo, but most of the analysis of strategy and most of the recommendations are quite sensible.

The proposals to reduce the proportion of shop fronts around Streatham Hill that are limited to retail looks dramatic on the map but is probably a reflection of the reality for Streatham as a suburban High St after Lambeth failed to attract a bigger retail "anchor tenant" than M&S food into the redevelopment of Caesars/Megabowl. (And with hindsight, we could now have been looking at a closed Debenhams/House of Fraser???)

It is annoying and insulting that Lambeth are running (yet another) consultation over the summer holidays (ends 23rd August).
The local community forum (Streatham Action) held a public meeting at short notice last week.

Main issues I took away from it:
An alarming statistic that the number of creative businesses in Streatham has actually *fallen* in recent years (have people been priced out by housing and now setting up in Crystal Palace???)
Lambeth needs to be clearer how the changes affect small businesses in town centre fringe locations that don't have shop fronts and where landlords are looking for residential change of use;
What are they going to do to keep the remaining large office buildings in employment use so that there are still daytime shoppers/customers?
Lambeth are still obsessed (after 30 years) with the idea of redeveloping Streatham Hill station when there are other "opportunity sites" that could deliver jobs/homes more easily.

Thanks... The name Viet Fusion does not fill me with hope I have to say, but I shall reserve judgement!
Hopefully they still offer the 'classics' (Pho, etc) without too much of this fusion nonsense... :hmm:

well Urban Orient in Crystal Palace is great - I've eaten at both. I don't know if Saigon was always run by the same people or whether it's being taken over by the Urban Orient people but hopefully it will still be good.

I ate at the little Venezuelan place on the high street between Holland and Barrett and Peacocks today. It used to be a sandwich bar but now they do Venezuelan food like arrepas. It's all very fresh and tasty and I business is starting to pick up but they still need more custom. Cash only.

The owner was telling me that there isn't much Venezuelan food in London and he wants to put his cafe on the map. If anyone has any ideas how he can do that, get it in Time Out or wherever, let him know.

I ate at the little Venezuelan place on the high street between Holland and Barrett and Peacocks today. It used to be a sandwich bar but now they do Venezuelan food like arrepas. It's all very fresh and tasty and I business is starting to pick up but they still need more custom. Cash only.

The owner was telling me that there isn't much Venezuelan food in London and he wants to put his cafe on the map. If anyone has any ideas how he can do that, get it in Time Out or wherever, let him know.

haha - were you at capoeira? Gaijinboy often eats there when visiting the same location. He says it's very good.

Back
Top Bottom