Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stonking maiden speech in Parliament by Mhairi Black

I'm not familiar with the term - is it comparable to 'duck' in the Midlands?
It can be a general greeting, 'hi hen' much like 'hello dear', especially here in Glasgow, but it is gendered, you'd never use it to a man, and it's generally used as far as I can tell by an older person to a younger person. So I've been called hen many times since I've moved to the city, mostly by women older than me.

When used by a man to a woman, it can be a term of endearment like a father would to a daughter.

Sas used it as gendered insult though, which sought to belittle her and put the woman back in her place.

It's the "just live with you parents" comments that make me angry. All posted by people with no idea that a persons childhood and upbringing could be anything other than happy middle class 2.4 kids with a dog and people carrier in the suburbs.
so happy many m/c ship their offspring far afield at 18 or so

I've been called duck a few times in the Midlands. I don't think that phrase is gender specific

Nor is 'love', or 'chicken' down near Leicester. Hence me wondering about 'hen'. Though that last one sounds a little more gendered to me.

hen is never said to a man, except possibly as an insult.

Fair enough - really quite different to those other terms, then.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with the vernacular.
In which case maybe Sass will apologise when he's less 'tired'.

Perhaps Sas reads the Daily Mail. He certainly fits in in the comments section.

CJ5YjtoWcAASRNb.jpg:large
Check out the cunt in Dubai. "Totally lacking in experience's" (sic).

FFS.

I've been called duck a few times in the Midlands. I don't think that phrase is gender specific

It's not. Everyone is 'duck' round here. Men and women, young and old. And ducks too I suppose.

But no, hen is a disparaging form of address for a younger woman, in this context at least. Same as you might call a younger man 'sunshine' if you were trying to undermine what he was saying without recourse to actually addressing any of it.

Luckily, this Mhairi Black character seems to have more than enough about her to shrug off all that kind of shit, although I daresay she'll be subjected to a fair bit of it :(

ennit, what if someones creeping in your room every night? or you get slapped about regular? Not like the network of hostels are thriving and anyway, most of them relied absolutely on HB per resident as part of core funding. Watch youth homelessness spike in the next five years

Did they not also move the cut off point for support for foster parents from 21 years to 18 years quite recently?

Back
Top Bottom