Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

Cerberus

Uptown top wankin
Apologies for the punless thread title.

So, transition to Ange-ball. Would’ve enjoyed the game more, had it not been for the ref/authorities…

Isn’t modern football shit? No, really. we can’t celebrate anything or relax after a collision in the box without fretting for 2 mins after. And 11 fucking minutes??

The game and us: Bissouma was mustard. Really buoyed by that as must he be (what a cunt Conte is!). Maddison not far behind him. Thought Udogie and Emerson were more than competent. Like the cut of Micky’s jib (unfortunate OG aside). Sanchez hardly put a foot wrong.

Minus points / worry: Richarlison (will he come good? I’m not sure). Son still bumbling around - though against a defence that gave him no room. The keeper worries me. Skipp not convincing as an 8 (if that’s where he was playing).

Man Utd a huge test next Saturday

One thing I like is that the team already has the beginnings of a style and an identity. Fullbacks pushed on but not reckless, Bissouma playing as a forward thinking midfielder but from deep, with the defensive midfielder (Skipp) pushed higher up. There was a bit of attention put on Chelsea a couple of years ago when Sarri played Kante more advanced ahead of Jorginho, but I thought it made sense - when your defensive player is an all-action ball winner (as opposed to say a Xabi Alonso/Michael Carrick type) then have him putting his foot in high up the pitch and play on the front foot. Maddison and the forward line will definitely benefit from that.

When the team has an identity, player recruitment is more straightforward and it's easier for the club as whole to have that identity too. Back in the Martin Jol & Harry Redknapp days we were a well-defined club - a great place for young English/British/Irish players to come and develop (e.g. Carrick, Dawson, Huddlestone, Lennon, Bale, Defoe, Keane, or the less successful Davies, Etherington, Reid), supplemented by the hunt for the next up and coming stars from far and wide (e.g. Modric, Berbatov), and the occasional experienced star not wanted by the biggest clubs for whatever reason (Davids, van der Vaart).

We seem to have lost sight of all that, with a scattergun approach to buying journeymen in the middle of their careers more in hope than expectation that one or two will come good. Phillips from Blackburn is a good sign - he may or may not turn out to be the 2nd coming of Ledley King, but at least we're trying to plan for a future as well as a here and now.

Largely agree with that Zapp. In Levy’s cock-eyed quest to ‘win now’ and join the big boys permanently, we lost sight of our traditions (dare I say ‘DNA’!).

We all have to move on from the incredible position we found ourselves in under Poch (as much by luck than judgement) and accept that in todays state-sponsored, oil soaked football world Spurs might go back to a 4th to 8th league team with a decent cup run (🤞 - it’s been long enough).

As long as we have fun along the way the realists among us can accept losses and draws…

A big test passed with flying colours. Couple more goals spread among the "not forwards", a clean sheet, and a whole bunch of moaning Utd windbags on social media. Lovely stuff :thumbs:

Had to put up with three hours of man u fans singing outside my window on saturday afternoon so all the sweeter especially the own goal
Anyhow, the mood is nice - actually looking forward to the season ahead

Lovely day at the Lane yesterday. Atmosphere good. Crowd loud. Midfield 3 immense. GK was much better this week. Clean sheet 👍🏻. Test passed.

Slight worry about the front 3. Again

Brennan Johnson looks good if a little expensive - bit of a financial gamble but Im not paying
Fast and likes to run is great qualities in my book.

Well, 0-1 after 2mins. Didn’t see 5-2 on the horizon!

Some aesthetically pleasing goals too.

Hope no one gets crocked on International Duty 😬

I'm enjoying this season already. There's joy in the football being played which transmits itself to the crowd and vice versa. A load of deadwood cleared (Sanchez and Ndombele both joined Galatasaray last night), the 1st 11 looks good and there's a few more besides knocking on the door - maybe only 3 or 4 short of having a very decent squad, and with no European football (and the disappointing Milk Cup exit) maybe we can get away with that.

Vicario, Forster, Lloris (yes really he's somehow still here!)

Porro, Royal, Udogie, Sessegnon, Romero, van de Ven, Dier, Davies

Bissouma, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Sarr, Maddison, Lo Celso

Son, Kulusevski, Richarlison, Solomon, Perisic.

Big Ange is a bit likeable too!!!

One thing I haven't checked - is that a squad we can register? I presume Sarr and Udogie count as U21 and I've only counted 22 players anyway so it should be OK, but I seem to remember Dier (England International many times over) doesn't count as homegrown, so worth asking the question.

Agree with the first paragraph Zapp. Seems to be a good feel about the place. The ground was bouncing for Man U. Know a few who went to Burnley and they said it felt special (I.e not how it’s felt for a good few years).

My feeling on the squad is that he might promote Philips (on the bench last Saturday) and Dorrington (U18/U21) to the squad as cover at CB.

International break is always a slight worry with players all over the world. Let’s hope for no bad news over the next 10 days 🤞

I'm enjoying this season already. There's joy in the football being played which transmits itself to the crowd and vice versa. A load of deadwood cleared (Sanchez and Ndombele both joined Galatasaray last night), the 1st 11 looks good and there's a few more besides knocking on the door - maybe only 3 or 4 short of having a very decent squad, and with no European football (and the disappointing Milk Cup exit) maybe we can get away with that.

One thing I haven't checked - is that a squad we can register? I presume Sarr and Udogie count as U21 and I've only counted 22 players anyway so it should be OK, but I seem to remember Dier (England International many times over) doesn't count as homegrown, so worth asking the question.
The league cup was only the milk cup from 1981 to 1986, it's been sponsored for longer by carling, coca cola and carabao. Why not just call it the league cup and not some archaic former name?

You missed out Johnson, signed from Forest last week.

98 mins and 101 mins. Angeball is fun!

Played 5, won 4, drawn 1. Only Man City with the perfect record - clearly we're their only real competitors.

Wow. What an ending. Should’ve been out of sight first half. A bit clueless second half. Feared the 0-1 smash and grab - and it nearly happened!

A pleasing show of resilience. Chuffed and relieved.

Shocking refereeing though. I mean, really bad. Out of his depth. Sheff Utd got their comeuppance though, their ridiculous cramping players being done in injury time feels wonderfully sweet.

Up the Spurs

Maybe its easy to say it as results going our way and the change in manager meaning positive football, but it feels good not having Kane (remember him? Harry his name was) around, the team feels more like a proper team, the load spread evenly, whereas before everything had to go to Kane all the time.... I was up for Kane going a long time ago, but his stats are hard to argue against...its working out great. Hopefully everyone can grow

And credit for the substitutions ... and so good to see real passion. I think it was the FA Cup game we got knocked out of last year that really shocked me....no one seemed to give a fuck or try, even when there was plenty time still ... the exact opposite here

A word on our captain.

There's a fair few people have commented on Son pushing Richarlison towards the fans at the end of the game to take the applause. Lovely gesture at the end of a difficult week for Richarlison, getting him a bit of love and support.

But there's also a video doing the rounds, a fan video taken as the 2nd goal goes in. It all goes a bit predictably bonkers as everyone mobs Kulusevski, then the camera pans to the corner where miles away from everyone else Son has got Richarlison in the biggest man-hug. In the most emotional of (footballing) moments, he'd instinctively sought out the fella who he thought needed it most.

Son Heung-Min is a quality footballer, a great captain, and an all-round decent human being.

A word on our captain.

There's a fair few people have commented on Son pushing Richarlison towards the fans at the end of the game to take the applause. Lovely gesture at the end of a difficult week for Richarlison, getting him a bit of love and support.

But there's also a video doing the rounds, a fan video taken as the 2nd goal goes in. It all goes a bit predictably bonkers as everyone mobs Kulusevski, then the camera pans to the corner where miles away from everyone else Son has got Richarlison in the biggest man-hug. In the most emotional of (footballing) moments, he'd instinctively sought out the fella who he thought needed it most.

Son Heung-Min is a quality footballer, a great captain, and an all-round decent human being.
100% - thats why its always been Son over Kane for me - he just seems to be a nice person without that usual multimillionaire arsehole footballer manner about him. And hes pretty good at football too

Sheffield United FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC have both condemned the racist and abusive messages that Sheffield United's goalkeeper, Wes Foderingham received after their premier league game yesterday.

Sheffield United issued a statement saying they "condemn the racist, abusive and threatening messages" sent to Mr Foderingham.

They added: "The club will now work with relevant bodies to investigate and support Wes.

"There is no room for racism in our game."

Tottenham Hotspur stated: "We are disgusted to hear of racist, abusive and threatening messages sent to Wes Foderingham following yesterday's match."

"The club stands firmly against all forms of discrimination and will co-operate fully with Sheffield United and the relevant bodies in their investigations.

"We shall not hesitate in taking the strongest possible action, including club bans, against any so-called fan found responsible."

PA-73477968.jpg

(Source: PA Images)

Screenshot_2023-09-17_at_11.10.11.png

North London Derby Day!

Slightly odd feel to it - we've been flying, but after last season there's a real sense that Arsenal are much more polished and closer to the finished article so in a way this is a free hit. Play the Big Ange way, go after them and not go down wondering.

I like the lineup - a really fluid front 4 with scope for Johnson and Son to swap positions and drag defenders out of position. Arsenal's lineup is strong but slightly strange with Jesus and Nketiah both starting, one of them nominally from the left so maybe similar to us, in game fluidity.

Vicario

Porro --- Romero - van de Ven --- Udogie

Bissouma
Sarr ‐------------------------
---------------- Maddison

Kulusevski ------ Johnson ------ Son​

Forster; Royal, Dier, Davies; Hojbjerg, Skipp; Richarlison, Solomon, Veliz

2-2, proper proper derby game. 100mph, tackles flying in and played hard but for the most part fair. Yet another example of the handball rule not being fit for purpose, not surprised the pen was given but it's become a farce - only a matter of time before a team fields a double at-the-shoulder amputee as centre back, and he'll still somehow be penalised. At least Son & co caught them cold straight after, so no damage done.

If we continue to play high risk high reward football and get regular points away at other big sides, it'll be a good season.

Back
Top Bottom