Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spotify Unwrapped 2021: the shame and the sorrow..

But if you consider the amount of money most bands (don't) make off spotify for literally millions of people listening to their music, while 80% more might be welcome it's still an extra 80% of fuck all. The sums don't add up.
Yeah, true enough. The trouble is streaming per se. Not sure what the answer is, though.

Well, at least vinyl sales are on the up, I was just in my local indie store and the owner said he literally can't keep up with demand!

(for copies of Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Queen's Greatest Hits. The album by a band who're actually making new music now that I'd gone in to ask about buying for my daughter's christmas present isn't available because of pressing plant delays, due to them being constantly at work repressing Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Queen's Greatest Hits)

I've a mate who has spent the last 30 odd years running second-hand record shops and now has an online business part-time... Saw him last weekend and he told me the market for second-hand CDs has completely collapsed recently.

Disregarding the economics/pay-out from it, streaming is fantastic from a consumer viewpoint - suggesting downloads or buying CDs through the post now would just seem about as archaic as sending off for a movie each week using Lovefilm..

Screenshot_20211203-200830_Spotify.jpgScreenshot_20211203-201122_Spotify.jpg

Apparently, I've listened to Oasis more than 99.5% of the population.

I feel sick about this fact.

In fact, theidea that I listen to Oasis more than the Heavy Eyes is objectively false.

The live version of Gas Panic is fucking rad, mind.

80E3AA44-5F21-40F0-9C85-F8ECF8B76E49.png

21E7D5D4-C41A-4C2C-8F58-BBE1C8626991.png
8F75F5A8-6DB8-41A0-9235-FA35E3C34974.png1D8D1DA1-C417-4960-968A-B99E101F1D0A.png219C6F0C-1A86-4CA2-84EA-979AC9ADF3FD.pngWhat the fuck is Chamber Psych. I mean it sounds a lot like my mental state last 39 year but um
Also King Creosote is now apparently part of my life forever; top artist since a long time ago, I guess me and my mum went to gigs and my pal gets her video recording of him when I go to hers for a drink, he’s part of all the furniture. And mum bough tickets for 2022 yeah!

Is Spotify any good at suggesting new music? Or is it the kind of thing where you already need to know what you're looking for? I'm getting a bit sick of YouTube's "My Mix" replaying the same 30 or 40 tracks in a different order every time I start it up, and I'm seriously considering paying for something that's better at showing me stuff I haven't listened to before.

There was another service ages back, I think it was called Pandora, which was actually based on some kind of analysis of the music itself. That one was really good at suggesting new stuff that I liked the sound of, but unfortunately the music industry are a bunch of cunts and soon spoiled the fun by making it inaccessible outside the US. I don't even know if it's still a thing any more.

This site used to be a parody of Spotify Wrapped that called the company out for its predatory treatment of artists. It has been removed at the request of Spotify’s legal team.

You can still join our fight for Justice at Spotify at

Justice At Spotify - Union of Musicians and Allied Workers — UMAW

I've just cancelled my spotify after learning that Daniel Ek (founder) investing 100 million in military AI.
Spotify founder Ek invests 100 million euros - The Times Hub

So what decent alternatives?

Is Spotify any good at suggesting new music? Or is it the kind of thing where you already need to know what you're looking for? I'm getting a bit sick of YouTube's "My Mix" replaying the same 30 or 40 tracks in a different order every time I start it up, and I'm seriously considering paying for something that's better at showing me stuff I haven't listened to before.

There was another service ages back, I think it was called Pandora, which was actually based on some kind of analysis of the music itself. That one was really good at suggesting new stuff that I liked the sound of, but unfortunately the music industry are a bunch of cunts and soon spoiled the fun by making it inaccessible outside the US. I don't even know if it's still a thing any more.
You can have a look around for playlists created by users that are updated regularly with new stuff,
Pandora was amazing.

Soulseek is also still a thing- search for stuff you like then browse the rest of someone’s music collection to see what else they have. And to this day there’s stuff on there you can’t find literally anywhere else, like Brolum’s unique version of Bidh Clann Ulaidh and ALL OF KENNY’S CDR’S

Mine slightly odd , swayed by my sleepy music I play every night. My no.1 tune is Ròs by Jonny Colgan and i have no idea what or who that is

I seem to be mostly using soundcloud for new music, but I tend to listen to mixes much more than individual tracks or albums. I'm normally spoilt with loads of new stuff every day.

This is a much more reflective top 10 of what I've been listening to this year:

soul.PNG

On YouTube music, so I can't partake :p but I'm pretty sure Lana Del Rey will be most listened to, as - years after the world - I started listening to her in 2021, and spent the year going through her discography.

YouTube has a mystical "Year In Review" playlist but I haven't seen it yet, I joined mid 2020...

I seem to be mostly using soundcloud for new music, but I tend to listen to mixes much more than individual tracks or albums. I'm normally spoilt with loads of new stuff every day.

This is a much more reflective top 10 of what I've been listening to this year:

View attachment 299305
That’s what I do, except I don’t stream them as I’m on the move when listening to a lot of music, so I download all music I listen to

Yes.. it is good. discovered lots through it.

That’s what I do, except I don’t stream them as I’m on the move when listening to a lot of music, so I download all music I listen to
Same here. I use a soundcloud downloader addon. But I find it easier to sometimes find the stuff I really like at home via soundcloud rather than trawl through 80k odd files on my hard drive, so that list is pretty accurate to where my tastes are currently.

Spotify also good for listening to film/series soundtracks, always some helpful soul that will maintain a playlist for stuff like that. And then artists often put playlists up themselves like Cate Le Bon’s “Bakers Dozen” ... found a lot of stuff that way. But aside from that it is really bad for getting you stuck on a loop like YouTube, the main reason I use it is because iPod classics are somewhat a thing of the past and I need music when on the move.

Back
Top Bottom