Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spotify Unwrapped 2021: the shame and the sorrow..

Mine doesn't list anything by numbers, and I can only see top songs, of which I have hundreds in a long scrolling list. And one of the songs is "Knowing me, Knowing you" by ABBA, which I know I haven't listened to in years.

I can’t make mine all fancy like that. It literally just gives me a list rather than top 10, what am I doing wrong?
If I do it on the laptop it gives a long list. On the mobile it gives all the artists, genres etc.

My moods are happy and spooky.

38b34ff5ace01e4eb3ec60b57b440eab6dfd6d23.jpg

And grown-ups ... don't listen to music? :confused:
Grown-ups pirate their music properly like adults, obv.
Apparently I listened to 999 artists.

My main moods are focused and melancholy.

Post punk forever 🖤View attachment 299072

View attachment 299076
My first reaction to this was "huh, your music taste sounds fairly similar to mine", and then I got right to the end and... without wanting to be too intrusive, I hope one of the Spent Gladiators being in your top 5 isn't a reflection of you doing too badly? Times when I've listened to Transcendental Youth a lot have not been great times in my life, generally speaking.

Attachments

• E9D9895B-22A3-4C8E-AEFE-C17909C15B5B.jpeg
    E9D9895B-22A3-4C8E-AEFE-C17909C15B5B.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 13
  • F3581547-6ABD-4A91-A115-BDFE32A5FBC1.jpeg
    F3581547-6ABD-4A91-A115-BDFE32A5FBC1.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 8C988F3B-BE72-4544-B350-7CA307CC927A.jpeg
    8C988F3B-BE72-4544-B350-7CA307CC927A.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 32F7397E-4C69-4B6C-8BBD-72B1C6E03123.jpeg
    32F7397E-4C69-4B6C-8BBD-72B1C6E03123.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
Spotify is a bad company, there's no denying that - but tbh the current streaming model can't work for musicians, even if they increased the amount they paid: there is a maximum people are prepared to pay for a subscription like this, and it's around £10 per month. There's no way of cutting that pie that pays smaller artists fairly, once fleetwood mac and queen have taken their cut.

Difficult to know what can be done though, as streaming is what we've got. Encourage people to go to more live shows and buy records and merch etc I suppose.

Spotify is a bad company, there's no denying that - but tbh the current streaming model can't work for musicians, even if they increased the amount they paid: there is a maximum people are prepared to pay for a subscription like this, and it's around £10 per month. There's no way of cutting that pie that pays smaller artists fairly, once fleetwood mac and queen have taken their cut.

Difficult to know what can be done though, as streaming is what we've got. Encourage people to go to more live shows and buy records and merch etc I suppose.
A lot of tours don't make money either.

Tea pots it is then

A lot of tours don't make money either.

Tea pots it is then
Well, at least vinyl sales are on the up, I was just in my local indie store and the owner said he literally can't keep up with demand!

(for copies of Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Queen's Greatest Hits. The album by a band who're actually making new music now that I'd gone in to ask about buying for my daughter's christmas present isn't available because of pressing plant delays, due to them being constantly at work repressing Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Queen's Greatest Hits)

Tidal pay artists about 80% more per stream, and the sound quality is better if you post for the HiFi subscription. It's more expensive, though - £25 pcm for a family, versus £15 for Spotify.

Tidal pay artists about 80% more per stream, and the sound quality is better if you post for the HiFi subscription. It's more expensive, though - £25 pcm for a family, versus £15 for Spotify.
But if you consider the amount of money most bands (don't) make off spotify for literally millions of people listening to their music, while 80% more might be welcome it's still an extra 80% of fuck all. The sums don't add up.

Well, at least vinyl sales are on the up, I was just in my local indie store and the owner said he literally can't keep up with demand!

(for copies of Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Queen's Greatest Hits. The album by a band who're actually making new music now that I'd gone in to ask about buying for my daughter's christmas present isn't available because of pressing plant delays, due to them being constantly at work repressing Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Queen's Greatest Hits)
There was a thing on 6 about vinyl delays/shortages and Adele etc weren't part of the problem apparently but I can't remember what it was. Demand, Brexit, old machinery?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom