Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The vagaries of the Spotify algorithm

Top of my Daily Mix 1 - Coldplay God Put a Smile on my Face

I listened to it once alright. Once. There was a bit of discussion on here and I listened to it for academic reasons only. Once. (honest)

Chris Martin is now part of my life now forever.
I had a horrible shock this morning after the final track of OK Computer played out and Coldplay appeared straight afterwards. I have never knowingly listened to Coldplay on Spotify, or indeed anywhere else.

I am quite liking Spotify’s recent habit of putting together “mixes”, based on things I frequently play that its algorithm classifies as being in the same ballpark, leavened with the type of track that it would autoplay when an album is finished.

Two issues, though. It cuts off tracks which it considers overlong for some reason, which is rubbish for post-rock, stoner rock and ambient genres, where many songs have only started to get going after ten minutes or so. And like the autoplay, it doesn’t really understand what one dislikes: personally I can’t tolerate vocals which use tone to impart soulfulness or similar emotions, but am perfectly happy with most new wave and post punk singers, or with choral arrangements and chanting.

I wish there was a way to take the Spotify algorithm aside and have a quiet word about these things. But I still can’t believe that I have access to every song ever recorded (Cardiacs, Einsturzende Neubaten and some Magyar Posse aside), with some often fantastic algorithmic suggestions, for only a small monthly fee. And with any book I want to read available for free on annas-archive, too. There has never been a better time in history to be housebound or misanthropic.

So glad I dont pay for this, their free service is full of the same problems, but free

I appreciate that Spotify seems to have decided to go back to my teenage self and keep pushing Guns n Roses on me but my listening history is pretty much people like Daniel Avery and David Holmes. It's a bit bizarre. Does it stalk you?

I did actually almost kick my tenant out the other week over his objection to sweet child of mine being blasted at 3am on a wednesday. I blame spotify, not me.

Here's a weird one. I lost my dad last week. Yesterday I saw that Spotify has a 'made for me' playlist on coping with loss. Which makes me think a) how did it know and b) why the fuck does Spotify think listening to Snow Patrol or Against All Odds by Phil Collins would make me feel better? :hmm:

Here's a weird one. I lost my dad last week. Yesterday I saw that Spotify has a 'made for me' playlist on coping with loss. Which makes me think a) how did it know and b) why the fuck does Spotify think listening to Snow Patrol or Against All Odds by Phil Collins would make me feel better? :hmm:
Sorry to hear that, MO. And, yeah, that's really fucking weird - I'd find that creepy.

I'm so sorry to hear that Monkeygrinder's Organ

I'm really tiring of spotify with this stuff. Its playlists are just so generic and obvious. If if was that clever it would've realised by now that I've never once played any of their recommended playlists and stop with all this. It's actually pushing me back to youtube music which conveniently now has all my old pre-spotify mp3s backed up from the old 'google play music' days.

So for your loss. And yes, that’s creepy.

:weed:

The best way I've found of finding new stuff on Spotify is the 'Discovery' playlists they put together.. usually find something on that, then switch to the artist/album to see how much I like their other stuff..

Premium family now £20 per month. It’s starting to look like questionable value, even for heavy users.

If only there was some way to just choose what records you listen to instead of having an algorithm do it for you.

Til The Band Comes In doesn't work unless you play all the songs in order. And you stop it about five tracks from the end and put something else on instead.

If only there was some way to just choose what records you listen to instead of having an algorithm do it for you.
I usually run a playlist, made by me, on my computer, or pick an album to play - but when driving its useful to have something picking the tunes for you - i used to have a partner for that, but after his passing i rely on an app.

The algorithm doesn’t choose. You can play whole Scott Walker albums. Or playlists you’ve collated. Like an old fashioned mix tape. And you can preset for the album or playlist just to play again rather than Spotify start improvising. That’s how I’ve got it set up.

But I would still like to complain about the stupid suggestions it makes, despite knowing my favourite artists include Moondog and Can (pictured). “You’ve just listened to Tago Mago. You might like Brothers in Arms”. Like fuck ah wid, ya thick tadger!

I find it works for me most of the time, just with a few odd outliers. I kept getting recommended a Sting gig in Plymouth that confused me, well, enraged me tbh, until I realised that Blondie were the support. Made sense then.

It recommended Madball to me recently who I'd never heard before but now like, after I went on a bit of NYHC thing for a bit.

Hmm... the Spotify algorithm seems to be suggesting stuff that's pretty much just right for me. What am I doing wrong?

I don't normally find it's wrong in the sense of 'why don't you listen to some Coldplay and Toploader,' it's normally stuff that I do like, but it tends to be a little bit less adventurous and more repetitive than I'd otherwise be. Like it will pick a tune which I quite like and listen through, and then before you know it it's on regular rotation.

Back
Top Bottom